TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

cruise control saved my butt today

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by richardfallows, Feb 3, 2015.

1. richardfallows

well just washed the car went down the 400 today and put on the new cruse at 7 car lengths

was fiddling around with the screen not paying att. when I felt the break and looked up to see a very slow moving truck with its 4way flashers on got to say I like my car a lot more today

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

My wife is convinced my fiddling around with the huge screen will be the death of me! Glad to hear that the new system saved you this time. Still, I'd urge everyone to pay attention to the road, even if you're on cruise control!

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Visited a Subaru dealer the other day, my other car is a Subaru. Sales person telling me the story of taking the product driver training on the new active safety features like this in Subaru. On a closed course they are taken out and told to set the cruise and keep feet off pedals, and proceed to point the car at a wall.... The car stops forcefully before hitting the wall. Amazing. Said it takes NERVES OF STEEL to follow through with that instruction: feet off pedals.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I have made a very concerted effort to never touch my center screen while I'm driving and the car is in motion. With very rare exception I've managed to stick to that. Nonetheless, I'm sure the cruise control will probably save my butt someday (providing I get TA cruise control, that is).

5. richardfallows

well it did wake me up to how so many texting accidents can happen got to get used to the buttons on the steering wheel

6. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I try to not use the screen unless I have to. We customized the steering buttons to work for us so we do not have to tap on the screen when we are on the road.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

I mounted a forward facing camera so I can just watch where I'm going while using the other half the screen.

just kidding

The forward camera is only for parking, so I don't nose the curb.

8. dweeks

dweeks Member

Have you figured out a way to adjust the temperature without looking at the bottom of the screens? I don't think there is one.

9. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Volvo's City Safe, Pedestrian Detection is very scary when it kicks in but it is amazing. Every car should have it.

10. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

You can adjust temp from the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes. You can use the RH scroll wheel: The-Handiest-Custom-Setting-in-my-Model-S

edit: trils0n beat me to it while I looked up the link.

12. PlanB

PlanB Banned

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Of course it would be more convenient if the bezel had indents or friction spots that aligned with the soft buttons. Then you could just feel. (The scroll wheel still requires looking, albeit less looking than using the display.

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

Is there any way to select a song from Slacker without touching the screen?

It's seems silly that you can bring up the list using a voice command, but then still need to touch the screen to actually play the song.

15. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I still have to convince my wife that the TACC will be much more attentive and faster reacting than my "manual" control.

16. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

This is a re-post from an earlier thread

Physical Buttons for touch screen

There are a number of us "more mature" owners who would like to see a few physical buttons on the control panel although I appreciate it is not likely to happen

Here is a partial solution at least A company called Steelseries make small physical capacitive buttons which you can stick to touch screens by means of tiny suction cups
    I have put 6 of these buttons on my touch screen and can now without looking at the screen (ie by feel only) adjust temperature ,turn on and off front and rear windscreen heaters etc

I hope this might be of some interest​

17. dweeks

dweeks Member

Thanks! I had missed that.

Followup question. Is there a way to turn the A/C on and off from the steering wheel buttons, or do you have to use the climate control on the big screen?