Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC of TM3 is maybe the worst I have driven. I admit that one reason for being is that Tesla could easily fix these issues (which many are just preferences) unlike any of the previous cars that I've owned. Most of the issues are related to speed limit data which is wrong more often than right. The newest update is step to the right direction now that the car can see at least some of the speed limit signs.

Arbitrary max speed for autopilot is just stupid. Because speedlimit can be off even +40kmh I'm now able to drive +50kmh above the speed limit with AP on which of course is not very smart. But the system allows me to do it. And of course I can always accelerate more with pedal and system still allows it to autosteer. On the other hand autopilot is useless on roads where the actual limit is more than the car thinks because the max offset is not enough. Max allowed speed should be what the autopilot thinks is best it can do related to the road curvature, width, weather and what ever parameters they use.

Why the fck it doesn't catch the present speed when activating. Drives me nuts. Again 2020.36 makes things tiny bit better when I can touch present speed and it transfers to the TACC target, but it's still annoying and unnecessary to do every time I activate AP if the speed limit data is wrong. Now it even resets every time when changing lanes and reactivating AP. I'm not sure but I think it didn't do that before 2020.36. So the system works great only when I want to drive very spesific overspeed and when the speed limit is correct, sot that's maybe 25% of times I'm driving. I absolutely hate it when Elon and Tesla thinks they have very clever idea to automate something and they force it to you without option.

I would actually pay for rock solid basic TACC without any automation related to anything. Set the present speed when activating and don't change it yourself. Then, if I want, I would like to touch the speed limit sign and just then set the target to that + offset. Maybe double touch and activate active speed limit mode where the car accelerates and decelerates according the limits it thinks it knows. What if I could press and hold the speed limit sign and it would give me small submenu to select right speed limit. There could be blue lines around the sign so that I know the system is active, just like there is for TACC and AP. I guess someone likes the current system and would want it to be default. Great, give us an option for that.

I would also pay extra for even dumber cruise controll which wouldn't use radar or cameras. Of course this would happen only with warning notification when TACC doesn't have data it needs to work and it reverts to dumb mode. This would be great when radar is blocked by ice and whatever or when the sun shines directly to cameras just above horizon. The current system doesn't give any CC in conditions like that.

In stop and go traffic AP and TACC leaves way to much space between me and car in front. And when traffic moves again it reacts way too late and aggressive. I would prefer smoother and slower acceleration but faster response. When driving in high way and car in front of me changes lane or exits my car accelerates way too late. Many of these things could be in settings with some kind of slider or couple of presets how aggressive or smooth car is in different situations. Just like there is for auto lane change in FSD.

FWIW, I agree that a "dumb" cruise control would be a nice option. There are plenty of times that the TACC will slow down on corners that it doesn't need to slow down on, plus the phantom braking can be startling and annoying.

But I also wish there were settings for controlling how aggressively it tries to maintain follow distance and lane centering (if there are any, I haven't found them). It can feel very herky-jerky with the accelerating and braking, and same with the swerving trying to keep centered in the lane. I suspect it is actually contributing to my daughter getting car sick when I've used it in the past.

Are you guys serious that current system is good? Or that when activating TACC it can set +50kmh above speedlimit is safe? Or that it limits use of autopilot 30kmh below the limit is preferable?

Funny thing is that with any other manufacturer I would just accept it as it is. Because what else there is to do other than buy something else as next car if it's too annoying. But one of the best thing about Tesla is that the product I bought years ago is evolving over to a batter car. Some of these improvements come from complaints. Like automatic windscreen wipers that were rubbish at first, but now they are pretty decent and absolutely usable.

Can't please all the people. . .
Of course you can't, but now we are talking with an option to settings which would take 5min to code. When activating TACC set either present speed or speed limit (+offset). I understand if you have accurate speed limit data and your driving habits are very constant, then the current system might be enjoyable.

Yea I agree I think engaging TACC should just capture the present speed. Or at least have some option to either capture present speed or the speed limit set.
Like this.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Actually, my experience is that it does it just about right... When stopped you should be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you and that is about where mine stops.

What I meant was when traffic stops completely there is no way to change how much space car leaves in front of me. Or at least closest setting is way too far.

Actually, my experience is that it does it just about right... When stopped you should be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you and that is about where mine stops.
I believe that our Finnish friend is more comfortable getting damage to both the front and rear of his car when he gets slammed into the back by an inattentive driver. Like you it seems, I was taught to stop far enough behind the car in front of me so that you can just see their rear tires contacting the road. Any closer and you probably won't have enough turning radius to go around that car in case it stalls or there's a problem up ahead.

well ok - sure, would it be nice if AP/TACC followed your chill mode setting or had some more customization, of course yes it would.
But is it the hyperbole "the worst I've ever driven"? Not hardly - but then the list of cars with cruise control with lane keeping that goes from normal speed to a full stop and back again without intervention is really short.

Reactions: DDHEverything
TACC of TM3 is maybe the worst I have driven.

I've not driven in another car with TACC, so it is hard to understand what you mean. I can only find "Adaptive Cruise Control" (Adaptive cruise control - Wikipedia).

I would also pay extra for even dumber cruise controll which wouldn't use radar or cameras.

The radar is there to prevent you from crashing into the car in front of you, and if there is no obstacle, then you will be fine. Likewise with the cameras reducing your speed, this keeps you from running off a cliff should the road turn. If you are on the highway you don't have the problem of sudden speed reductions for curves unless you are going way too fast for the road overall. In that case you would have all the same problems with your "dumb CC" except additional risk to your life/car and others.

On the other hand autopilot is useless on roads where the actual limit is more than the car thinks because the max offset is not enough.

Autopilot is designed to be used on divided highways. Using it on a regular undivided local highway works, but ironically you/we agreed when starting autopilot not to use it on such roads. Don't ask me legally, how that makes sense.

Autopilot on local roads and highways is more of a "preview" or "work in progress", so that is why the speed is so limited.

Max allowed speed should be what the autopilot thinks is best it can do related to the road curvature, width, weather and what ever parameters they use.

Already is that way. It is just declining to drive fast on your roads.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
In heavy traffic every car cuts in front of you.

In heavy traffic you aren't going anywhere anytime fast anyway. To me this is one of the best parts of AP as I can just relax and not worry about alternating acceleration and breaking 10 feet at a time. I also find that the nag is significantly reduced during these times.