Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control threshold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cruise control used to be available when the car reached 10 MPH. Now it isn't available until it reaches 20 MPH. Once engaged you can lower the speed but you can't start it until 20 MPH. We live in a community with a 15 MPH speed limit and I am now not able to use the CC in the community without speeding up to get it on and then slow the setting down to 15.

• Funny
Reactions: ZilWin
You can engage TACC when stopped as at a traffic signal, not sure if you can engage TACC when stopped on a residential street. Be prepared to lower the cruise control speed setting in case the Tesla thinks the speed limit is ~30 MPH.

OK experiencing something on my MYP but have not experienced it on MYLR. I set cruise under the seed limit I am at currently lets say 45 and it goes to 50mph because I set it to be 5MPH from the autopilot setup screen. That works fine. But when the street sign says 30 or 55 it never goes up or down to those speeds it stays at 50mph. Is anyone else seeing this? I am on version 201.3.108 car is 3 weeks old

OK experiencing something on my MYP but have not experienced it on MYLR. I set cruise under the seed limit I am at currently lets say 45 and it goes to 50mph because I set it to be 5MPH from the autopilot setup screen. That works fine. But when the street sign says 30 or 55 it never goes up or down to those speeds it stays at 50mph. Is anyone else seeing this? I am on version 201.3.108 car is 3 weeks old
Tesla Autopilot, aka Tesla Adaptive Cruise Control (TACC) will not use the traffic signs or GPS mapping data to adjust your speed. If you have purchased Full Self Driving (FSD) then I believe the Tesla vehicle will moderate the speed based on the signage and the GPS mapping data.

You adjust the speed while Autopilot is engaged by rotating the right thumb wheel up or down. To change your speed in 5 MPH increments you can flick the thumb wheel up or down. (That's what I do when entering a different speed zone.)

Example 1: If I am driving with Autopilot engaged at 39 MPH and flick the right scroll wheel down the Autopilot speed will change to 35 MPH. If I flick the thumb wheel a second time the speed will change to 30 MPH. The other thing you can do is disengage Autopilot and when you exit the speed zone, i.e. a school zone, when you see the Tesla display the current speed limit on the screen (this is either from reading a sign or from the GPS data), then I re-engage Autopilot.

Example 2: If traveling on a road with a 30 MPH speed limit and making a turn I disengage Autopilot. After making the turn the Tesla displays the previous speed limit (30 MPH) for perhaps 100 yards before updating to the speed limit for the current road (35 MPH). I wait to re-engage Autopilot until the Tesla screen acknowledges that the speed limit is 35 MPH.

Tesla Autopilot, aka Tesla Adaptive Cruise Control (TACC) will not use the traffic signs or GPS mapping data to adjust your speed. If you have purchased Full Self Driving (FSD) then I believe the Tesla vehicle will moderate the speed based on the signage and the GPS mapping data.

You adjust the speed while Autopilot is engaged by rotating the right thumb wheel up or down. To change your speed in 5 MPH increments you can flick the thumb wheel up or down. (That's what I do when entering a different speed zone.)

Example 1: If I am driving with Autopilot engaged at 39 MPH and flick the right scroll wheel down the Autopilot speed will change to 35 MPH. If I flick the thumb wheel a second time the speed will change to 30 MPH. The other thing you can do is disengage Autopilot and when you exit the speed zone, i.e. a school zone, when you see the Tesla display the current speed limit on the screen (this is either from reading a sign or from the GPS data), then I re-engage Autopilot.

Example 2: If traveling on a road with a 30 MPH speed limit and making a turn I disengage Autopilot. After making the turn the Tesla displays the previous speed limit (30 MPH) for perhaps 100 yards before updating to the speed limit for the current road (35 MPH). I wait to re-engage Autopilot until the Tesla screen acknowledges that the speed limit is 35 MPH.
Thank you, I understand how to use autopilot, and change speed manual on the thumb wheel, also have a MYLR also without FSD and it does change the speed according to the speed limit in each zone automatically. But my MYP does not. They do have different software version and both are non radar 2021 models

Thank you, I understand how to use autopilot, and change speed manual on the thumb wheel, also have a MYLR also without FSD and it does change the speed according to the speed limit in each zone automatically. But my MYP does not. They do have different software version and both are non radar 2021 models
My 2020 LRMY without FSD or Enhanced Auto Pilot does not change speed when Autopilot is engaged. Does your LRMY change speed on local streets and when driving on the highway?