Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control unavailable, with a twist (loss of all driver assistance features too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Suddenly the brakes go on"?? Or did you feel cruise power cut and maybe regen and interpret that as braking?

"Wants me to stop"?? Did it say please stop, or did you project that feeling onto the car?

"touch the brakes to disengage cruise". So after the CAR already disengaged cruise (remember you said the car is already "braking") you apply the brakes too.

At what time in this sequence did the cruising symbol ?

What I think you experienced was a normal driving situation of using cruise when the car detected you should not be using cruise.

Here is what happened:

Cruise was still engaged and showing on but the car decided, no way!, and basically pushed the lever forward for you. In this case, Cruise would still show as on, you would still have the speed marker on the gauge, and the car would be decelerating (but NOT braking), and you would eventually come to rest. But you also chose to add brakes to that situation, and then disengage cruise (it was already disengaged) but I think you mean turn cruise OFF by canceling it with the button.

Do you think this might be what happened?

Like I said I was just cruising along when suddenly the car started to break I looked down and I saw her coming up saying cruise control no longer available but the car was still breaking my first thought was The break we are going to stop in the middle of the highway so I tapped the break and gave it some throttle and away we went and I did not feel re Jen breaking because it was very cold and I think it was disabled at the timebut I can't be 100% sure on thateverything just happened so fast

Like I said I was just cruising along when suddenly the car started to break I looked down and I saw her coming up saying cruise control no longer available but the car was still breaking my first thought was The break we are going to stop in the middle of the highway so I tapped the break and gave it some throttle and away we went and I did not feel re Jen breaking because it was very cold and I think it was disabled at the timebut I can't be 100% sure on thateverything just happened so fast

This is so weird because I asked a SC rep yesterday if the car had auto brake and I was told no. So why your car was braking is odd. I will call Tesla in the am and ask once again if the car now comes with auto brake.

And what do you mean by the cruise control telling me when I can or can't use it that makes no sense at all if you can't use cruise control in wet roads or rain what good is it

- - - Updated - - -

I know it has autobrake because I tested it I went into town with cruise control on set at seven car lengths and it kept me seven cars away right till it stopped

Cruise control no longer available

My understanding from other threads is that if the weather isn't great TACC shuts off and regular (basic) cruise control isn't usable either. If that's really how the car behaves I'm very glad I have an old model without TACC because I would be very pissed if I could only use cruise control in only perfect weather conditions. I'm guessing this behavior is intentional by tesla; that if TACC randomly becomes unusable tesla wants to remove themselves from any liability if you do not realize this and expect the car to slow down due to pending traffic but the car continue to go forward and smash into the cars in front of you.

And what do you mean by the cruise control telling me when I can or can't use it that makes no sense at all if you can't use cruise control in wet roads or rain what good is it

- - - Updated - - -

I know it has autobrake because I tested it I went into town with cruise control on set at seven car lengths and it kept me seven cars away right till it stopped

My understanding from other threads is that if the weather isn't great TACC shuts off and regular (basic) cruise control isn't usable either.

Lots of stuff here that's not quite right.

First of all, according to the release notes, the TACC cruise control is not supposed to be used in heavy rain or snow. Please see the release notes for the exact language. I'm sure the rationale is that the TACC relies on radar to see the other cars around your car, and in poor visibility conditions it can't see well, so TACC is not safe.

Now that we have TACC, we no longer have the option of "regular" cruise control without it. A lot has been written here about it, and many of us would like it. The theory is that Tesla believes we would be confused, and might expect the car to keep us from hitting other cars when it no longer has control of that functionality. So better to disable all cruise control functions rather than take that chance. (I'm not saying I agree with that. I'm just stating what others have suggested is probably Tesla's rationale for disabling "regular" cruise control when TACC is disabled.)

As for TACC shutting off when the "weather isn't great", that's not what's going on. TACC shuts down when the sensors can't see what's going on. A lot of the recent issue have involved the radar unit being blocked with snow and ice. (Please see the first post in this thread.) If the radar unit can't "see" the TACC can't function, and will shut itself down. It's as simple as that.

As for the braking you (richardfallows) experienced when your TACC shut down, I don't recall exactly what happened when mine shut down, but it's possible that the car just essentially took its foot off the go pedal, resulting in sudden full regenerative braking. Again, not saying that this is good, or the proper thing for the car to do in that situation, if that is what happened. Just that that could be what happened. In which case the car was not applying the friction brakes, but rather it just stopped trying to go, so to speak.

Cruise Control unavailable, with a twist (loss of all driver assistance featu...

As for TACC shutting off when the "weather isn't great", that's not what's going on. TACC shuts down when the sensors can't see what's going on. A lot of the recent issue have involved the radar unit being blocked with snow and ice. (Please see the first post in this thread.) If the radar unit can't "see" the TACC can't function, and will shut itself down. It's as simple as that.

Yes that's exactly how I understand it. I just like writing shorthand haha didn't feel like typing it as detailed as you, but thanks for clarifying to others

As for the braking you (richardfallows) experienced when your TACC shut down, I don't recall exactly what happened when mine shut down, but it's possible that the car just essentially took its foot off the go pedal, resulting in sudden full regenerative braking. Again, not saying that this is good, or the proper thing for the car to do in that situation, if that is what happened. Just that that could be what happened. In which case the car was not applying the friction brakes, but rather it just stopped trying to go, so to speak.

Or perhaps someone was tailgating closely and Tesla's TACC also has automatic brake-checks?? lol

All my sensors were not working today. So no cruise, lane departure warnings or proximity warnings. What happened? Well I decided to get rid of the salt coating by going to a self serve car wash. Temperature was -14C and a thin coat of ice formed all over. This puts the sensors out of commission. Ah, the joys of Winter in Ontario.

Tesla isn't the first (or second, or third, etc) to use this technology in cars. Do other manufacturers also have these problems with cruise control and these other features getting disabled due to various weather conditions? If not, what are they doing different? Do their sensors work through ice/mud/etc?

All my sensors were not working today. So no cruise, lane departure warnings or proximity warnings. What happened? Well I decided to get rid of the salt coating by going to a self serve car wash. Temperature was -14C and a thin coat of ice formed all over. This puts the sensors out of commission. Ah, the joys of Winter in Ontario.

I know you posted a picture of your radar unit when it was obstructed with snow in the pictures thread. If possible, I think we should all take pictures and post them any time this happens, even if, like today, it was just a thin coating of ice from a car wash that caused the systems to stop functioning. The more pictures we post, the easier it will be for Tesla to figure out how to solve the problem.

I failed to take a picture the second time it happened to my car, but I plan to take and post pictures from now on.

Thanks!

Tesla isn't the first (or second, or third, etc) to use this technology in cars. Do other manufacturers also have these problems with cruise control and these other features getting disabled due to various weather conditions? If not, what are they doing different? Do their sensors work through ice/mud/etc?

Our 2006 Toyota Avalon has ACC. It cuts off (with an audible alarm) in rain and snow conditions, so it's not unique to Tesla. However, in the Avalon you can switch to regular cruise and continue using. I'm sure that's coming in a future update.

My BMW i3 (camera based ACC) has all the problems described here. No magic there. The one big difference is one can enable the normal cruise control by holding down the distance button for a few seconds. So then the ACC fails to work (and it does, about 2 to 3 times a day, even in clear weather), at least the normal cruise is available.

I've gotten good at predicting when it will turn itself off (shadows and hills are the main culprits). And yes, when it turns off the regen braking kicks in HARD, which is even more fun in the i3 than the Tesla, due to stronger regen braking that works all the way to 0 MPH. So I got used to covering the accelerator while on ACC, so when I notice the car slowing down for no obvious reason (and it does this for about a second before it chimes and warns the ACC is off) a quick press on the pedal keeps the speed up. Once the error clears I re-engage ACC, as I still love it, and will use it as long as I can. Sometimes it just gives up and won't let me enabled it, like if the sensor is blocked, or if the sun angle is such that it blinds the camera.

My BMW i3 (camera based ACC) has all the problems described here. No magic there. The one big difference is one can enable the normal cruise control by holding down the distance button for a few seconds. So then the ACC fails to work (and it does, about 2 to 3 times a day, even in clear weather), at least the normal cruise is available.

Thanks for a great post giving us details of how another EV works that we can use for comparison. It's helpful to hear of the similarities, and also to know that BMW has allowed for the enabling of regular cruise when the assisted cruise is not available.

I have had the driver assist features not available message off and on since taking delivery. I am in So Cal and no obstruction of my radar unit.

Tesla engineers have looked at my logs and after reboots determined that my front facing wide angle camera may need calibration or replacement.

After a three week wait for an appointment I finally get to take it in this Friday. I will let everyone know the outcome. It's a great feature in traffic on the 405 and quite a bummer when I can't use it.

Stopped by Centinella SC this morning for my appointment. Spencer was great. But, because the problem just went away last night, there was nothing for them to do other than update me from .139 to .140, so I didn't leave my car. I'll wait for .140 OTA. They're going to check my logs over the last week to see if they can find anything.

I just encountered this problem today. No apparent obstruction of the radar unit, although I had a false alarm of an imminent front end collision shortly before the driver assist message. Perhaps it will just go away. We're going to see what happens tomorrow.