Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control unavailable [Update: Turning off Sentry Mode fixed the problem]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cruise control on my Model 3 quit working today. I now get a message "Cruise control unavailable" each time I attempt to engage cruise control.

Tesla support had me "Power Off" the car from the Safety & Security menu. That didn't fix the problem. Cruise control worked during two drives earlier in the day but not in eight drives later in the day. I've had no problem with CC or EAP in the 8 months I've owned the car.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cruise control unavailable.JPG

The cruise control on my Model 3 quit working today. I now get a message "Cruise control unavailable" each time I attempt to engage cruise control.

Tesla support had me "Power Off" the car from the Safety & Security menu. That didn't fix the problem. Cruise control worked during two drives earlier in the day but not in eight drives later in the day. I've had no problem with CC or EAP in the 8 months I've owned the car.

View attachment 413130
I had the same problem. I just turned off sentry mode and parked the car. When I got back to the car, it was fixed.

Reactions: Thp3 and Zesoloist
I received the following info in an email from Tesla regarding the “Cruise Control unavailable” issue.

Email from Tesla:
“I am aware of this issue, it does not have anything to do with overheating of the processor, it is a firmware bug that is currently under investigation and has affected the majority of the fleet. Engineering is working to resolve this issue, currently it is listed as p1 or “critical” priority . This issue has been present since late last week and the amount of activity I have seen around it I would speculate that rectification, in the form of a new firmware release, is around the corner. The temporary work around would be letting the vehicle sleep, this will allow the DAS module to reset and it should resume normal activity on the next drive cycle, the issue will most likely reoccur though .Turning sentry mode off will allow the vehicle to sleep so this must be disabled in order for the module to reset. In general I would not rely on user forms for information of this type, misinformation runs quickly through these channels and often false information as well.“

In other words, my Tesla was sleep deprived!

Regarding the final comment in the email, I am very appreciative of fellow Tesla owners that take the time to read and respond to forum posts. They hold a great volume of collective knowledge!

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti and Thp3
My Tesla said “Cruise Control Unavailable” today.

I searched the forum, found this thread. Yet, I’d been using Sentry Mode. So I pushed the red Sentry button to off and pulled the USB stick ( belt and suspenders approach?). I put the Model 3 into park and let it sleep for a few hours.

When I restarted it, AP and Cruise control were available!

Thanks.

I was surprised at how accustomed I’d become to the display of cars in my blind spots. It was eerie driving it “old school” without the display working.

I've been having this problem for over a week, visiting service center did not fix it.
This is still happending after power off:
No backup camera (black screen)
No recording of TeslaCam (<1k file size)
No cruise control
No display of road line or surrounding objects, just a lonely self.
Service center wants to fix any problem after the latest software update (though the problem started days before the update was awailable). Unfortunately even with cable connection software update failed multiple times.
So I am stuck with the current state without knowing when it might be fixed.
I was told that there are multiple reports of Model 3 failing the most recent update, so the service center is expecting a fix from their R&D.
Any one of you experienced the same and have a solution?

I've been having this problem for over a week, visiting service center did not fix it.
This is still happending after power off:
No backup camera (black screen)
No recording of TeslaCam (<1k file size)
No cruise control
No display of road line or surrounding objects, just a lonely self.
Service center wants to fix any problem after the latest software update (though the problem started days before the update was awailable). Unfortunately even with cable connection software update failed multiple times.
So I am stuck with the current state without knowing when it might be fixed.
I was told that there are multiple reports of Model 3 failing the most recent update, so the service center is expecting a fix from their R&D.
Any one of you experienced the same and have a solution?

I recommend a service appointment. I think you have a hardware problem in your main computer board. You might need a need HW3 board.

Sure. I posted it after almost a full day spent at the service center, was told just a software issue, but they cannot update the software. Because there are multiple cases with software installation problems (only occurs on some model 3) they believe R&D will provide a newer version to fix it for model 3. Service center will then fix any hardware problem after that.

Cannot wait for pending software update with an unknown date, I am calling the service center again.

Sure. I posted it after almost a full day spent at the service center, was told just a software issue, but they cannot update the software. Because there are multiple cases with software installation problems (only occurs on some model 3) they believe R&D will provide a newer version to fix it for model 3. Service center will then fix any hardware problem after that.

Cannot wait for pending software update with an unknown date, I am calling the service center again.

Computer hardware errors are the last place most people look. Software glitches are just more common. However, your failed errors seem endemic to hardware issue on the cpu board. If the Service Center cannot upgrade the software while it is at the Service Center, then they should just replace the motherboard. I bet the software would install then. Sometimes hardware, even solid state, just breaks. Ask them to Replace the cpu and reload a current firmware. Good luck.

Computer hardware errors are the last place most people look. Software glitches are just more common. However, your failed errors seem endemic to hardware issue on the cpu board. If the Service Center cannot upgrade the software while it is at the Service Center, then they should just replace the motherboard. I bet the software would install then. Sometimes hardware, even solid state, just breaks. Ask them to Replace the cpu and reload a current firmware. Good luck.
My Model 3 is now at the service center since last week, was told the problem is because of a bad chip, the onboard computer will be replaced and see if other problem remains once new software can be updated.

My Model 3 is now at the service center since last week, was told the problem is because of a bad chip, the onboard computer will be replaced and see if other problem remains once new software can be updated.

yep, that should do it. The only remaining potential issue would be a bad cable. A new computer board should be testable for a broken wire. Hardware issues are the hardest to accept and consider when doing diagnosis. They are also the easiest to fix!

Brand new 2020 Model S performance here with 2020.8.1 and FSD, AP worked beautifully for the past 2500km and now suddenly "cruise control unavailable". Tried the reboot trick, didn't help. Summon still works though. Service visit first thing in the morning...

View attachment 413130
Yes, last Sunday and today! No cruise! Frustrating! Sept 23 and 16th. They don’t work on Sundays?

Perhaps it’s the cameras. Try:

Go to Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration .

After that, you’ll have to go 25–30 miles to calibrate the cameras.

then the reboot, foot on brakes, two thumbs pushing in the steering wheels buttons.