Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Unavailable...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No cruise.jpg
Two times in the past 2 months, after stopping and then resuming a trip, EAP/FSD has failed. What is odd is that on the front screen, I do not see any road lines (like the cameras are not working), no cars are seen in front (like the radar is not working), no speed limit signs appear (like maps / GPS is not working - I have AP2/MCU1/HW2 so my car doesn't read signs), and the headlights stay on, even with full sunlight shining on the front window. Maps/Nav does work. So does music streaming/TuneIn and as cars pass by, the 4 side sensors 'appear' on the screen. Also, front and rear proximity sensors (with distance) appear to work at I approach something. It doesn't matter what speed I am at - its like EAP/FSD/cruise is not there.

When I called today, we tried several things, the most 'aggressive' being a Power Cycle Reboot (Power Off for 3 minutes followed by press/hold scroll wheels until T on center screen appears). It did not work and I had to drive the remaining 90 miles 'manually' (and it sucked).

The last time it happened and I called the 800 number, they supposedly 'pushed' a fix to my car and it began to work the next day but today they said 'sorry'; take it to a SC to have it checked out. The bad thing is I am over 120 miles from a SC and the next ranger appointment is March 5th.

I was wondering if anyone else in this forum ever ran across this problem and if so, what the problem was.

Thanks.

I just experienced this same issue this week. The service center replaced the front camera to resolve the issue.
I was told it was a software bug and that I needed to disable Summons AND Sentry. Pretty crappy to have to loose both features, although for my HW2.0/MCU1 car Sentry only went through the motions of watching the car - no recording at all...

Did that fix your issue?
I don't know yet - no trips over the weekend except to the grocery store and community center - under 2 miles each. Going somewhere Tuesday. BUT it has been a very reclusive bug - maybe happens once in about 40 FSD 'engagements', and, of course, when I have been on a longer trip. Its like the engineers at Tesla thought "lets wait until we see the car is 40 miles away from home and then disable cruise"...

Will post IF it happens again before the next software update.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
View attachment 513299 Two times in the past 2 months, after stopping and then resuming a trip, EAP/FSD has failed. What is odd is that on the front screen, I do not see any road lines (like the cameras are not working), no cars are seen in front (like the radar is not working), no speed limit signs appear (like maps / GPS is not working - I have AP2/MCU1/HW2 so my car doesn't read signs), and the headlights stay on, even with full sunlight shining on the front window. Maps/Nav does work. So does music streaming/TuneIn and as cars pass by, the 4 side sensors 'appear' on the screen. Also, front and rear proximity sensors (with distance) appear to work at I approach something. It doesn't matter what speed I am at - its like EAP/FSD/cruise is not there.

When I called today, we tried several things, the most 'aggressive' being a Power Cycle Reboot (Power Off for 3 minutes followed by press/hold scroll wheels until T on center screen appears). It did not work and I had to drive the remaining 90 miles 'manually' (and it sucked).

The last time it happened and I called the 800 number, they supposedly 'pushed' a fix to my car and it began to work the next day but today they said 'sorry'; take it to a SC to have it checked out. The bad thing is I am over 120 miles from a SC and the next ranger appointment is March 5th.

I was wondering if anyone else in this forum ever ran across this problem and if so, what the problem was.

Thanks.
In the last month I have gotten this same message that cruise control is not available. If I try it again and again I get a message that the B column camera is blocked. I stopped driving and checked the camera and it is clouded over with moisture possibly. Sometimes it is the left camera and sometimes the right. After a while the clouding clears and the cruise control will work.

model S 75, dec. 2016,

In the last month I have gotten this same message that cruise control is not available. If I try it again and again I get a message that the B column camera is blocked. I stopped driving and checked the camera and it is clouded over with moisture possibly. Sometimes it is the left camera and sometimes the right. After a while the clouding clears and the cruise control will work.

model S 75, dec. 2016,

I have seen that message as well on days with misty rain or with slushy roads. BUT this has happened on 2 different sunny days, with a very clean car and nothing visible on any of the cameras. Wish it was that easy to fix but there is something else really wrong. They cancelled my ranger appointment saying it is a software bug...

I have had this happen several times just driving to work (any weather) and on long drives. I have always had to pull over and do a full reset to fix the issue. I have the new 3.0 hardware but it did happen with the 2.5 hardware I used to have.

Since it is impossible to have only cruise control without the background features FSD (even when not enabled/paid for) I just assumed it's one of those issues that is a quirk of Tesla.

I have had this happen several times just driving to work (any weather) and on long drives. I have always had to pull over and do a full reset to fix the issue. I have the new 3.0 hardware but it did happen with the 2.5 hardware I used to have.

Since it is impossible to have only cruise control without the background features FSD (even when not enabled/paid for) I just assumed it's one of those issues that is a quirk of Tesla.

I wish a full reset would work but alas, it didn't, leaving me to manually drive home. Don't mind the steering but the MS is so quiet, you can't really hear the speed change and that has me ranging from 66 to 78 on the trip. I would welcome a fall-back simple cruise option for when TACC / EAP / FSD decides not to work just to prevent getting other drivers mad and/or me getting a speeding ticket...

IMO cruise control should have a standard alone feature to septate it from the sensors. I'm quite tired of the MS slamming on the breaks when a car crosses the road in front of me 1000' ahead.

Very frustrating.....

I hear you. I have tweeted and complained. Does no good. My "TACC" on the Volt does not do that. My friends Subaru doesn't do it. Just makes no sense - they have had a LOT of time to fix it but they are too busy with video games... :)