Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cruise control unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to run some errands just now and was unable to engage the autopilot. error message says "cruise control unavailable", pressing the exclamation mark on the main screen next to the driver name says "Dl_u015: cruise control unavailable". No car surrounds are shown on the screen (no traffic, lane markers etc).

Some google searches show that this may be a known firmware problem and can only resolve by rebooting the autopilot hardware, which apparently never happens while sentry mode is active. So I disabled sentry mode, put the car into power off, and walked away from it for 2 minutes. Came back, but the problem persisted.

Will take it into service first thing in the morning, I have another 2000km drive coming up on Wednesday and I really don't want to hand drive that!

In the meantime, if anyone has any specific instructions on how things can be reset that would be useful, thanks!

That has happened to me 3 times over last month with both the previous firmware and 2020.8.
All 3 times from park overnight at home (where I have sentry disabled).
It has either come back with a two thumb reboot, or parking the car elsewhere then restarting.
I haven't had to disable sentry mode.

It came back after disabling sentry mode and putting the car to sleep and walking away from it for a couple of hours (if it happens again I'll try to figure out the minimum sleep time required for an AP reboot...).

Note I did NOT unplug the USB drive. I'm using a Samsung T5 at the moment, which indicates whether the port is even powered. It powers down when sentry mode is not active, I hence correctly inferred that this is not a factor.

It came back after disabling sentry mode and putting the car to sleep and walking away from it for a couple of hours (if it happens again I'll try to figure out the minimum sleep time required for an AP reboot...).

Note I did NOT unplug the USB drive. I'm using a Samsung T5 at the moment, which indicates whether the port is even powered. It powers down when sentry mode is not active, I hence correctly inferred that this is not a factor.
Ta

Interesting, thanks. Seems rather random. On another note, I see you drove to the Murchison - where did you charge out there?

The power station supplying ASKAP is managed by Horizon, who said I could charge there, as long as CSIRO allowed us to drive in, which they didn't because of RF interference. So we stayed at Wooleen station nearby and had to take the CSIRO bus in!

Check that all your cameras and sensors are clean. I've found in the past that when the car is dirty, or a camera or multiple sensors have insect remains on them I get the warning that autopilot is disabled. As soon as I go around and wipe all the cameras and sensors with a damp cloth it works again. Might not be the problem in your case, but worth a try

Interesting, thanks. Seems rather random. On another note, I see you drove to the Murchison - where did you charge out there?
Hi, did you have this fixed? I started getting the Dl_u0105 last week after a trip where Sentry Mode was on for more than 24 hours. I have done all the reset tricks, but nothing worked. I have an appointment for 9/13.

It seems some type of memory issue with Sentry Mode. I also tried to reset the cameras and it is failing, like it can't access the storage. In the past a reboot and long sleep fixed it, but not this time.

It seems some type of memory issue with Sentry Mode. I also tried to reset the cameras and it is failing, like it can't access the storage. In the past a reboot and long sleep fixed it, but not this time.
Tried the hard reset?

Tried the hard reset?

Yes I did. Finally a tech from the service center did a remote diagnosis and found out that the autopilot module is fried due to overheating (>170 F). Need to get it replaced. I am going to upgrade to the MCU2 that includes the AP HW3 and new touch screen.

I left the car parked under direct sunlight and the cabin overheat protection off. That plus Sentry Mode on made the temp to go so high. Lesson learnt, never leave car with all windows closed, no overheat protection and Sentry Mode on! Looking at the bright side, my 2017 car now will have 2021 features.

Reactions: OzVic