Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unplugged the USB devices in the center console before going into Drive and Cruise Control/AP are working again. This morning plugged them back in and formatted the dashcam USB from the menu and all back to normal. Firmware 12.3.1 on a 2018 M3

Not sure if it is completely related, but I had a call from Tesla about my autopilot issue, and they mentioned they could see I had a larger USB storage device in my car (I added a 1 Terabyte SSD instead of using the 128GB that comes with the car). They said the larger storage devices should not be used because it take longer to 'index' them which can affect autopilot.

Something has changed since they moved the usb storage device from the console to the glovebox. My 2020 Y has a 500 gig Samsung T5 drive connected to it for almost 2 years now and never have I had any issue with cruise or AP on the Y. The drive has been flawless the entire time.

Interesting documentation of the problem, Kyle Conner just did a 70 mph range test of a 2022 M3P and he experienced the same thing shown in this thread where the symbol for "AP available" and the speed limit were flashing on and off rapidly for no reason and TACC and AP were unavailable.

Keith

Just happened to me this morning. I stopped the car wiped the camera lenses and rebooted, but AP still unavailable. Lane lines and street lights are visualized, but gray AP steering wheel icon never appears. It also doesn't trigger the accidental lane crossing alerts. When I got to work I saw I have 2022.12.3.2 downloading. It's now installing. Will see if that fixes anythings. If not, will try removing my USB hub.

Just happened to me this morning. I stopped the car wiped the camera lenses and rebooted, but AP still unavailable. Lane lines and street lights are visualized, but gray AP steering wheel icon never appears. It also doesn't trigger the accidental lane crossing alerts. When I got to work I saw I have 2022.12.3.2 downloading. It's now installing. Will see if that fixes anythings. If not, will try removing my USB hub.
Update: It works after the install. I don't know whether that's due to a fix in the new version, or that the car likely does a deep reset after a firmware update 🤷‍♂️

I've been having it happen intermittently for the past few weeks as well. I don't drive it much, and my fiance rarely uses AP/TACC so she hasn't mentioned anything. I'm on 12.3.2.
Only started fairly recently. Been using the same hub/USB/wireless charger for two years, maybe messing with those will fix it.

This just happened to me today in my 2019 M3P. It also will not see the sdcard. Says there is a mounting issue. I reformatted the sdcard. Same problem. I rebooted the car, nothing. I think I recently did a software update a day or two ago. It's annoying. I will try removing the sdcard before I drive it tomorrow.

I have a 3-month-old S-Plaid - I lost visualizations, cruise, and autosteer a few days ago. Getting the DL_a175 code as referenced above.

I did wash the car the day before it stopped working - really just hosed it off and towel-dried it. Now I'm thinking that water got into a camera somewhere.

Does anyone know the rhyme/reason for the software update numbering? Yesterday it installed 2021-12-3 or similar - I see people referencing all kinds of crazy numbers that don't seem to be sequential or date driven. After the update, it worked 1 time, then stopped during the same drive.

I have had the problem happened twice in a week. They all happened on the same day (Saturday), same time (10-11 am), and same section of freeway. I was just wondering did it has to do with the satellite orbit location. Noticing the speed limit sign was flashing on and off.

Did any one find out what the problem was? Was it a bug in the last software update?

Running the latest software version available in Denmark. Before the upgrade everything was fine, upgraded last weekend, and today on my way to work everything was fine, on the way back home, first appeared the message that the Cruise control is unavailable, and sometime after, Emergency braking was disabled. Contacted tesla support, and they say that they will open a support ticket and they will start an investigation from their end. The support engineer says that he means that this is related to software, that it was a well-known issue, and that he expects this to resolve itself. Never heard from them again, no call, no mail. Call them again, now they say that I need to contact the SC and make an appointment. I've tried a couple of resets, to no avail. Suddenly the Emergency braking message disappeared, but the cruise control is still not available. The service appointment is set for July 15th.

I've been having this issue too with a 2019 Model 3. Currently on 2022.16.3 but it's been doing it randomly for about a month now or so over multiple software versions. I scheduled an appointment with service center and they emailed me and said it is a known software bug that they're hoping to fix soon.

My car does the exact same thing that everyone else is experiencing. My driving visualizations go away except for lane lines, and I'm unable to use cruise or autopilot. I've found two ways to fix it. Either let the car go to sleep for 10 or 15 minutes. Or do the hard reboot procedure listed on mountain pass performance website where you disconnect the 12 volt battery negative and unplug the the connector underneath the backseat. That forces the computer to reboot and fixes it every time for me. Then it might go days before it does it again, or it might be on the very next drive. Currently installing 2022.20.6 update. Crossing my fingers that this fixes it.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot