Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control-Wiper Confusion

How often do you turn on the wipers when trying to adjust the TACC following distance?

• Total voters

Haxster

Apr 4, 2016
Silicon Valley
How many times have you turned the wipers on when trying to adjust the following distance for the Traffic Aware Cruise Control?

After six months, I still keep doing it. I hope that I'm not the only one.

BerTX

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I said never, because I never adjust following distance. Now if you had asked how often I turn on the TACC when I meant to put on the turn signal, the answer would be different.

Reactions: TexLaw

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
The stalks are different lengths and positions. That being said, once I've tried to put on the single wipe and accidentally put on the e-brake.

derekmw

Oct 3, 2016
San Diego, CA
More than that, I've frequently done these two:
- Try to put turn signal on, but instead resumed cruise control and shocked as the car starts accelerating as I coast/regen-brake approaching a turn
- On my other cars, turning on wipers, thinking I'm shifting into D (habit from being in the MS too long)

Haxster

Apr 4, 2016
Silicon Valley
More than that, I've frequently done these two:
- Try to put turn signal on, but instead resumed cruise control and shocked as the car starts accelerating as I coast/regen-brake approaching a turn
- On my other cars, turning on wipers, thinking I'm shifting into D (habit from being in the MS too long)

I DID finally get used to the Tesla gear shift UP being reverse and DOWN being forward.:confused:

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I’ve had my model S for 3 months and I still do this occasionally, but the thing that kept getting me right after I got the car was the fact that I kept putting the car into neutral when I intended to turn on the wipers. My old car had the wiper stalk where the gear shift is on my Tesla. Luckily time and the fact that I have auto wipers turned on now has helped resolve that issue.

TexLaw

Jan 29, 2017
Bellaire, TX
I certainly had some confusion between the wiper/blinker and CC stalks at first, but that was because I was not used to having two stalks on that side. I had either a Toyota or Lexus as my primary car for over 20 years, so it took some doing to adjust to having the CC on the left bottom, rather than the right.

I think I pretty much almost have it mostly figured out, now.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC