Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on FSD Beta, and previously AP/NoA/TACC since I bought the car (early 2021).
Since you have an early 2021 car, you most likely have radar. The Vision only based cars are a completely different experience. That has been made clear over and over here. People with radar cars tell stories about how great TACC and AP work followed by dozens of people with Vision cars making the case that they really do have a problem. Listen, I appreciate your long response but I and many many people aren't going to convinced that the issues with TACC and AP in our Vision cars is either our problem or just our imaginations. My cameras are clean and calibrated and I have not one but two Vision based cars (A September build M3 and a October build MY.) Both behave the same with the same issues in the same circumstances. I had three late model cars with TACC, all produced since 2017. A Chevrolet, a Ford, and a Hyundai. All had forward collision detection, emergency braking, and speed matching cruise contol. In about 70k miles, i had the forward collision detection and emergency braking happen maybe a dozen times and that is across all 3 vehicles over many many miles. Although Tesla Vision only TACC generally works well on divided highways, setting TACC in either one of my Vision only cars in any other circumstance will guarantee false positive collision detection and phantom braking where all of my other cars would have zero problems. Two lane roads are awful. Truck coming towards you in the other lane. BEEP BEEP BEEP from the collision detection. Seeing the top of a car on the other side of slight rise the the road. BEEP BEEP BEEP from the collision detection. Driving on the highway with a semi passing you, BEEP BEEP BEEP from the collision detection. It's s repeatable and predictable. And no other brands vehicles with TACC that i have owned were like this. Not even close.
I know you might say "Well, TACC is considered still in beta" or "It isn't meant to be used on anything other than divided highways." If that is the case, than I stand by my. statement that Tesla Vision only TACC is completely inferior than radar based systems. I'm not claiming that we are all in terrible danger of TACC caused firey deaths. I'm saying that many Vision based owners, including myself who happens to own two of them, are tired of having our cars scream at us that we are at risk for a collision when there is zero danger. Somehow, other manufacturers have reliable TACC that can be used on any roads in any circumstamces. Even pre-Vision Teslas do significantly better than post Vision cars.
Tesla is supposed to have the best software im the industry. If that is the case, then why have all of these legacy manufacurers mastered a domain where Tesla can't? It boils down to my first point. Radar based TACC (or radar + Vision) works significantly better than the junk we Vision owners are stuck with. If you are have little to no false collision detections and phantom braking, you are either only using TACC in the optimal situations or you have a pre Vision car.

I have a radar-less 2021 M3 and have PB events only occasionally. Initially, I had frequent PB events, but after a few updates, they have reduced to a small fraction of what they were. I know that some people have more problems than others. This is bothersome in its own right, as cars with the same camera and software configuration should act similarly.

I drive a wide range of roads, so it's not like I have a simple use-case with one type of road or a trivial route that I drive. I frequently seek out a varied route to test the car's driving. I do have FSD beta, which appears to help on non-interstate roads with speed limits 65 mph and below. But AP on interstates works exceptionally well for me in either AP or NOA modes and I drove from Dallas, TX to Washington DC recently and more than halfway back with zero PB events, so Tesla must be doing something right.

PB events on FSD beta are generally very minor and usually seem to be overreaction to the environment. A car starting to drift slightly toward my lane, or a car pulling out into the lane next to me for example. The car also slows down far too much for a car ahead of me making a right turn. But full blown hard braking PB events are very rare on FSD beta, despite traffic situations that must be far more complex than the typical AP environment.

By no means do I discount reports of others having serious PB issues. I'm sure they really are having them. But I can't help but wonder why the experiences are so varied.

Reactions: Dewg
Since you have an early 2021 car, you most likely have radar. The Vision only based cars are a completely different experience. That has been made clear over and over here.
My apologies, I didn't make it clear in my response that I am in FSD Beta, which removed radar and is Vision-Only. So yes, I do have radar, but it's not used.

My apologies, I didn't make it clear in my response that I am in FSD Beta, which removed radar and is Vision-Only. So yes, I do have radar, but it's not used.
Is it certain that the non-FSD TACC uses the same software stack as FSD Beta? Because I am very skeptical that is does… So a FSD Beta user saying it works well does not mean that the experience is the same in a non-FSD TACC user.

I have the same issue as some that replied. I drive 90% on 2 lane roads and most trips are hours of same speed limits. I thought have a Tesla was going to make this trip easier but no, without a safe software based cruise control and with a dumb cruise control. I get to my destination more tired then ever.

It's unbelievable that a car this expensive have less fictions then my 20k $ compact car. My model 3 will get less use then planned.

I have the same issue as some that replied. I drive 90% on 2 lane roads and most trips are hours of same speed limits. I thought have a Tesla was going to make this trip easier but no, without a safe software based cruise control and with a dumb cruise control. I get to my destination more tired then ever.

It's unbelievable that a car this expensive have less fictions then my 20k $ compact car. My model 3 will get less use then planned.
Which firmware version do you currently have on your car?

I completely agree. I will say that even with its imperfections I find autopilot and TACC to be preferable to plain ‘dumb’ cruise. We took a couple trips to our cabin over the last few months, one in our 2011 odyssey and one in my MY. The drive was definitely more enjoyable and relaxing in the MY, even though I had to deal with phantom braking.

I am seriously puzzled by what I'm seeing here.... May be some of your setup requires some calibration? (yes, a wild guess!).

Now I am updated to 2022.12.1, but since 2022.8.2, I have not experienced anything like what some of you are describing here... Those are more like what I had pre-2022.8.2.

Today, another 380km driving, mix of every type of roads imaginable. Yet another zero PBs.

At this point, I am comfortable enough not to pay attention to what is on the opposing lane. My foot is off both pedals and feel perfectible comfortable. Today, I drove with AP about 95% of the time, including within Toronto city.

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird and sckor
I am seriously puzzled by what I'm seeing here.... May be some of your setup requires some calibration? (yes, a wild guess!).

Now I am updated to 2022.12.1, but since 2022.8.2, I have not experienced anything like what some of you are describing here... Those are more like what I had pre-2022.8.2.

Today, another 380km driving, mix of every type of roads imaginable. Yet another zero PBs.

At this point, I am comfortable enough not to pay attention to what is on the opposing lane. My foot is off both pedals and feel perfectible comfortable. Today, I drove with AP about 95% of the time, including within Toronto city.
Your experience is not unusual. Phantom braking is notoriously and aggravatingly inconsistent. There are some for whom it's constant and horrible while others have virtually no problems. No one really knows why. My theories are:
  • different software versions
  • different settings for auto pilot, FSD, etc
  • different roads driven and different road conditions
  • different tolerance levels for the same behavior
  • different hardware between models and within the same model as Tesla updates hardware continuously rather than waiting for a model year
  • differences in calibration of the hardware
  • Gremlins, Poltergeists and the like.
Regardless, if you know why your car is doing better, the rest of us would love to know. Otherwise just enjoy it!