Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise engagement failure on hills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bug related to cruise engagement recently, and it's the only bug that I've found really annoying in a year of ownership. I believe this started with v10, and I'm currently on 2019.40.50.1:

When going up a steep hill and attempting to engage cruise, the display indicates that it's been engaged, but it fails to actually take over. From what I can tell, this happens when the energy bar is showing significant black (high power usage). What makes it super frustrating is that you can't tell it has failed until you let off the accelerator, and since you're on a hill, you've lost significant speed (5+ mph). You then look like an idiot speeding up and slowing down in 10mph swings trying to get it to function. I live in a very hilly area, so this happens to me all the damn time. :mad:

Has anyone else seen this?

Is there a reliable way to report this bug to Tesla? (I don't consider the voice control "bug report" thing to be reliable, as I don't believe it actually sends anything to Tesla.)

Reactions: irelandm
I have a bug related to cruise engagement recently, and it's the only bug that I've found really annoying in a year of ownership. I believe this started with v10, and I'm currently on 2019.40.50.1:

When going up a steep hill and attempting to engage cruise, the display indicates that it's been engaged, but it fails to actually take over.

Just to be clear - are you engaging only cruise control, aka TACC (one single press down on the RHS stalk), or AutoSteer, aka AS (two presses down on the RHS stalk)?

For Both, the minimal engagement speed is 18 mph, unless there is a car ahead of you.
If you drive at speeds nearing 20 mph, you may just be going too slow to engage either one!

I would caution to Avoid using and relying on AS in hilly areas.
In my personal experience, AS frequently gets confused when cresting hills (radar data becomes ambiguous), and tries steering in random directions on top of a hill. For me, 1/3 of the time it will keep going straight, 1/3 of the time it will abruptly steer sideways into a tree, and 1/3 of the time it will disengage.

Good luck!

Just to be clear - are you engaging only cruise control, aka TACC (one single press down on the RHS stalk), or AutoSteer, aka AS (two presses down on the RHS stalk)?

Neither. Dumb cruise is all I have. Probably one of the five people that didn't pony up for TACC/AP back when it was a paid option :)

Also, just to be clear, I'm not doing anything funny. Just normal cruising on the highway. Everything worked as expected until a v10.

Reactions: irelandm
I confirm, I too only have "dumb" cruise, and on an incline it doesn't engage properly. It shows on-screen that cruise is on, but releasing the accelerator slows the car the same as if there was no cruise control. Then once the hill levels off it takes over. Mostly annoying, but could be one of the causes of "unexpected acceleration" accidents out there.