Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise not available. GPS stuck.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
My SC tried to fix this. Replaced the DOS module for AP. Problem still happening. Anyone else get this issue successfully fixed? Its intermittent and happens randomly. Only way to fix it is to walk away from the car, or have them send a reset signal to the car.

Attachments

• 20180418_131822_HDR.jpg
    20180418_131822_HDR.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 201
My SC tried to fix this. Replaced the DOS module for AP. Problem still happening. Anyone else get this issue successfully fixed? Its intermittent and happens randomly. Only way to fix it is to walk away from the car, or have them send a reset signal to the car.

Yes. I have had this exact same problem. Seems like all sensors will not report to the MCU, but there is no indication of it. Symptoms:

• Most noticeably the GPS of the vehicle is stuck in the last place I left the car. Says to me that GPS is not reporting.
  • I have auto brights turned on. Brights will turn on regardless of time of day, or my proximity to other vehicles. Tells me light sensor and radar not reporting.
  • Vehicle cannot read lane lines, nor see vehicles in front of it. No TACC or EAP. Tells me cameras are not reporting, ditto on radar.
  • Sonar not reporting. No beeps, or colored arcs around vehicle on binnacle to indicate proximity to anything around the car. Tells me sonar is not reporting.

In my experience with this, essentially every sensor stops reporting. This is an intermittent problem, but the car never reports that its capabilities are diminished (whereas sometimes you might see warnings about park assist not being available). I can only imagine that collision warnings and automatic emergency braking are also not functional when the car is in this state. I have had this happen to my vehicle on four separate occasions since March 10. I had a service appointment last week, upon return of my vehicle the tech indicated that the issue was a known issue and would be addressed in a future software release.

I have been able to correct the issue by powering the vehicle down entirely, waiting a few minutes and then pressing the brake to turn it back on. You may notice the car will not STAY powered off. This was described to me as a function of a part of the car always being awake, and certain activity awakening the vehicle from a powered off state. Anyway, this has always worked for me. Rebooting the MCU with the scroll wheels will NOT work.

I recommend attempting to get a video of this behavior if you are able to do so safely. My SC had a very hard time understanding what I was trying to tell them.

Here's hoping that this is a software issue that will be resolved very soon. I must say it is a bit disconcerting to be driving a vehicle who's suite of sensors designed to provide an extra layer of safety intermittently stop reporting, and give no indication that there is a functional problem to the driver.

Yes. I have had this exact same problem. Seems like all sensors will not report to the MCU, but there is no indication of it. Symptoms:

• Most noticeably the GPS of the vehicle is stuck in the last place I left the car. Says to me that GPS is not reporting.
  • I have auto brights turned on. Brights will turn on regardless of time of day, or my proximity to other vehicles. Tells me light sensor and radar not reporting.
  • Vehicle cannot read lane lines, nor see vehicles in front of it. No TACC or EAP. Tells me cameras are not reporting, ditto on radar.
  • Sonar not reporting. No beeps, or colored arcs around vehicle on binnacle to indicate proximity to anything around the car. Tells me sonar is not reporting.

In my experience with this, essentially every sensor stops reporting. This is an intermittent problem, but the car never reports that its capabilities are diminished (whereas sometimes you might see warnings about park assist not being available). I can only imagine that collision warnings and automatic emergency braking are also not functional when the car is in this state. I have had this happen to my vehicle on four separate occasions since March 10. I had a service appointment last week, upon return of my vehicle the tech indicated that the issue was a known issue and would be addressed in a future software release.

I have been able to correct the issue by powering the vehicle down entirely, waiting a few minutes and then pressing the brake to turn it back on. You may notice the car will not STAY powered off. This was described to me as a function of a part of the car always being awake, and certain activity awakening the vehicle from a powered off state. Anyway, this has always worked for me. Rebooting the MCU with the scroll wheels will NOT work.

I recommend attempting to get a video of this behavior if you are able to do so safely. My SC had a very hard time understanding what I was trying to tell them.

Here's hoping that this is a software issue that will be resolved very soon. I must say it is a bit disconcerting to be driving a vehicle who's suite of sensors designed to provide an extra layer of safety intermittently stop reporting, and give no indication that there is a functional problem to the driver.

EXACTLY what is happening to me. I was able to get a video and picture to show them the 2nd time.

Hit this for the first time Monday night. MX100D with AP2.5 on build 10.4. I don't use auto-brights so not sure there, but GPS stuck, no cruise, nothing around the car (sonar, lane lines, other cars). I powered down and left it for the night; things were working in the morning.

This has been happening to me since I got my car 6 months ago. Whether related or not, the only times I’ve not had the problem were when I was running software pushed to me by the Ranger. That could be a fluke.

I know it’s happening when I get in the car in broad daylight and the brights are on.

I just had a similar issue tonight. I have a MCU2 car and the car is still stuck at the last place it was parked at. I could activate AP but it's only limited to 45mph while I was on freeway. All speed limits were not shown the display. Obviously it's thinking I am still at the local road where it's stuck at. Tried to reset w/ scroll wheel buttons twice with no avail.

I also experienced this issue last Friday as I was heading back home from the Boston area. I was able to drive the car like a vintage ICE car. I had to use my cell to figure out where to charge, directions, etc. Even when I did a hard/soft reboot it would revert back to the issues. It wasn't fun driving 300 miles without the luxuries this car provides under normal circumstances. I assume its a bug in the firmware as it started after I downloaded 2018.18 for MCU1. The funny thing was that the next day and ever since the car has working normally and it is still same firmware. Hopefully its a one and done issue.

Similar thing happened to me this morning out of the blue. S75D 2018 build, MCU1, 2018.18.2

Cruise disabled
Auto braking disabled
cabin heater disabled.

MCU reboot did nothing
E-brake reboot, sit for a couple of minutes, brake to turn back on, errors gone.

I had this exact problem with an X-100D MCU2.
I had run some speed tests for the browser.
I always got the download test speed and never the upload - It always failed.
When it was in for service Tesla said the MCU2 was locked up using all of its memory trying
to perform the upload test.
After a reset and changing the browser to Google or Tesla all has been fine.

Shawn

Me too.

Seems a few a people are having this particular issue...

Car built November 2017, MCU1 (S,100d)

I can tell that that the car will not engage auto-pilot or TACC if it does not "recognize" any cars, lines, etc, even if driving slow in parking lots or residential streets which happens typically at the beginning of a drive.

The "cold" reset fixes it or a 10-15 interruption in driving (parking the car, walking away from it). Happens randomly. No solid clues. Happened 4-5 times since Dec 2017.

Took it to SC when it was happening. Drove with a tech inside. Stopped for 5 minutes and it would not reset. So they saw it. They took down date, time to presume look through logs and scheduled appt. When I was about to leave the Tech went with me to the car and i had started it and immediately it recognized the cars parked in the lot so I knew i would work that driving session. So they saw it happen. One Tesla witness.

At the appt date I took the car in to the SC. Said this would be the perfect time to keep the car and debug the issue since I was going to be away for a month - but after 2 days they called the wife and had her pick the car up with "we could not duplicate the problem" and that there was nothing in logs.

Only thing I got was "future software release will fix it". And everything else was "fine".

Seems a bit like a cop out ... especially, since SC did not quote any internal bug or problem that they tracked internally (other then generalities, like "we have seen it", but nothing else). If there is nothing in the logs then I have doubt Tesla knows that there is an issue ... well perhaps they know but they have no information supporting any anomalies.

The reason why I had the impression they were punting was that at the initial visit (when the event was happening) I got a lot of "ah we know what that is or we have some clues" but at the end it was like nothing. Granted, several things could cause it and this is a PITA thing to track down.

In the past, the general explanations I had received is that some sensor(s)/cameras are not reporting healthy in time and then the conjunction of these conditions fails to enable TACC and Autopilot. But there is nothing in logs to indicate that. How about a debug version of the software that has copious logging installed ? Can that be installed on a car to trace the state of sensors/cams ? And then i can drive until it happens again ...

I have received 3 software updates while away. Obviously unable yet to confirm that 2018.18 fixed anything. BTW, I was one of the first to get it in based on the TeslaFi tracking - which in could be random or interesting in that I had complained about this issue.

Otherwise the car is great.

I have been able to correct the issue by powering the vehicledown entirely, waiting a few minutes and then pressing the brake to turn it back on. You may notice the car will not STAY powered off. This was described to me as a function of a part of the car always being awake, and certain activity awakening the vehicle from a powered off state. Anyway, this has always worked for me. Rebooting the MCU with the scroll wheels will NOT work.

This has happened to me 8 times since October of last year when I picked up my p100d. Required remote reset 7 times. Last time I was instructed to do the power down. Clearly not firmware. SC said I required a part replacement for this and will be getting it done next Monday along with a host of other issues. Haven’t told me what part but it took several weeks to get in. I assume they will be replacing the tpms in one of my tires and calling it good.

I had this occur today while leaving a shopping mall. The stuck GPS still thinks I’m at the mall. This is the 2nd time I’ve had this.

Ironically the first time was the day I picked up the car last year and was driving home. I can’t recall having a recurrence until today.

Rebooting the center screen and later powering down the car did nothing. Hopefully it corrects itself tomorrow.

Edit: Decided to drive the car around the block since it was parked in the garage when I powered down the car. Unlikely to get a GPS fix, I figured the stuck map might not be a true indication that powering down didn’t work. The bottom line is that as soon as I pulled out of the garage, it did get the GPS and my position was immediately corrected. :)

Last edited:
I have this problem intermittently since the first day (delivery end of September 2017). The GPS always shows the same position, after the car falls into deep sleep mode, the problem resolves itself.

Between January 2018 and April 2018, the problem never recurred. During this period I drove with the updates: 2017.50.3, 2018.4.7, 2018.6.1, 2018.10.4 and 2018.14.2.

Since the 2018.14.2 update, the problem has resurfaced with more problems now, the autopilot no longer works, intermittent wipers either and obviously the position of the GPS.

After contacting the service center, they decided to send me the 2018.20 update to see if it would solve the problems. Obviously, the problems have not been solved.

Yesterday, the problems were repeated again, I contacted the service center and they asked me to go see them immediately so that they can see the problems of their eyes.

On site, a technician quickly noticed the problems and for nearly an hour analyzed the logs of the car without finding anything.
He performed a complete reboot of the car and everything returned to normal.

He explained to me that in cars with autopilot 2.5, the management module of it is connected with the windshield wipers and the GPS.
It will send my data and report to the software team so that hopefully they can solve this problem.

MS, 75D, 2017, AP2.5, FW2018.20.