Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunny day, go for a ride, tried to turn on cruise control, got message 'cruise not available'. Call tesla, suggested me to clean the sensors etc., went home, washed car, went for a drive again. Same problem, called again. Told to get car into service centre. 4 months old, and cruise control failed. What next?

Sunny day, go for a ride, tried to turn on cruise control, got message 'cruise not available'. Call tesla, suggested me to clean the sensors etc., went home, washed car, went for a drive again. Same problem, called again. Told to get car into service centre. 4 months old, and cruise control failed. What next?

Nothing serious, they will reinstall firmwave again first, if problem still exists, they will change parts, like sensors. Don't bother waiting for that the update at the service centre because I've seen a couple waited 3 hours then the staff came back and said sorry, in the end, they took a loaner and left their car behind for changing hardware.

Thanks lx3h. I demanded for them to pick up the car from my workplace, and once fixed, return it to me. Hopefully within the same day.

By the way, though it is not something serious, with only 4 months on the road, I doubt the workmanship, and more importantly, the design. (like to charge port)

Thanks lx3h. I demanded for them to pick up the car from my workplace, and once fixed, return it to me. Hopefully within the same day.

By the way, though it is not something serious, with only 4 months on the road, I doubt the workmanship, and more importantly, the design. (like to charge port)

Workmanship, for almost all of us, is forgivable, given that it is such a wonderful car and the aftersales service is really top-notch!

There is nothing better than knowing that everything can be and will be fixed free of charge within 8 years. With every part you change, your car basically gets newer! Only Tesla can do this

I use TACC all the time, every single day, this "cruise not available" (I didn't count) happens once or twice per week. Every time I just waited for a while and reactivated it, it just works.

Did you try reactivating the cruise control after that "not available" alarm?

I have never used it as I don't do highway that much and am reluctant to relinquish any control.
How exactly do you put on / turn off TACC and when is it useful?

I have TACC turned on all the time (a button at the end of the stalk) you'll see at the dash a small triangular thing on the circle indicating that it's ON. I go from Island side so I don't use it for busy traffic until I hit the tunnel. In the X-harbor it's easy (lazy), i.e. gently move the stalk up, it's then engaged, foot off the panel for the next 30km. You turn the stalk to increase/decrease the gap with the car in front, I set it between 2 to 4 (not sure if this is seconds or number of cars?) depending on weather and my speed.

You could snap to speed limit by pulling the stalk towards you for 2 seconds, that'll be the boring speed, however you could further move the stalk harder up and speed will be increased by 5km every increment. That's very handy, i.e. if limit is 80k you'll know 85 or even 90 will be safe speed without getting a ticket.

I'm not saying TACC is perfect as of now, I'm sure Tesla will improve/update it in the future. My comment so far is that it's too safe/conservative when the car in front is leaving my lane, i.e. car won't accelerate to close the gap until the departing car is completely off the lane. However when a car is jamming in from outside it's taking longer for the radar to pick up the intrusion so I had to "wake myself up" and at times getting my foot ready for whatever emergency braking. Unless this is by design I would hope to see improvement in this area, it could well be psychological but I won't dare testing it to the limit ....!

If you want me to vote No 1 Tesla feature, TACC will be it.

PS: it takes a little practice on the highway first, may be couple of times, don't use it on curvy tunnel exit at 90km/hr when you don't have clear sight of traffic in front.

I've had this problem occasionally when the sun is shining directly into the windshield. It seems to blind the camera. I did have it in to the service center and they updated some firmware and it still happens but seems to be less of a problem. Just make sure the camera (in front of the rear view mirror) and the radar (low on the front bumper center of car) and clean and clear.
This is not a TACC failure but a temporary blinding and it will reset itself.
I use the TACC all of the time and it is fantastic. Especially great for stop and go traffic.

I've had this problem occasionally when the sun is shining directly into the windshield. It seems to blind the camera. I did have it in to the service center and they updated some firmware and it still happens but seems to be less of a problem. Just make sure the camera (in front of the rear view mirror) and the radar (low on the front bumper center of car) and clean and clear.
This is not a TACC failure but a temporary blinding and it will reset itself.
I use the TACC all of the time and it is fantastic. Especially great for stop and go traffic.

I'm not sure and it'll be good to find out from Tesla, I thought TACC uses the radar (bumper) to tell gap in front and camera (rear mirror) is to tell speed limit signs and future autonomous driving (reading white lines on road)? May be it uses both, for safety, I was a Japan a while ago lots of new car TV ads talk about using radar/camera (I don't speak Japanese) sensing distance from the car in front for emergency braking .... etc

I'd surprised quite a lot of you opt-in the option of autopilot. Particular in a place like HK that most advanced autopilot features are banned

It's not really autopilot per se, and certainly not autonomous driving (yet), traffic aware cruise control isn't anything new and with the hardware available features like blind spots warning, automatic parallel parking, emergency breaking ... etc (could be more in due course) are just matter of software updates.

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

To summarise, Tesla sent a staff to pick up the car, called back after a couple of hours, and explained they needed more time. Throughout the dialogue, one could tell the staff is listening, and i can feel it is service from the heart (CX used to provide this, but no more). They arranged a loaner for me, and have it delivered to my office. This kind of service deserves a 11/10, if not more.

However, as for the quality, i still cannot accept the fact that only 4 months on the road, things start to get wrong.

TACC is great when you are traveling on highway everyday.

Not very sensible doubting workmanship and design with one issue. Want to sell your car? I'll give you half what you paid for it.

I started experiencing this on Friday after getting my car back from the service department. It worked on the way home, but later that night it would not. I called Tesla and they took logs for the local service center. We verified the sensors were clean and rebooted the car. The service center reviewed them and determined I needed to bring my car in for calibration on the following Wednesday. Meanwhile cruise control (and of course autopilot) would not work. We drove a 250 mile trip, so this was quite annoying. Long story short it started working again on Sunday evening.

It has to have been software related and not hardware right? Anyone else experienced a 2-3 day blackout on autonomous features like this?

My Tesla Model X 75D has similar problem. I just picked up the car in Hong Kong two weeks ago!

It has shown "Cruise Not Available" three times already. Sometimes I have Cruise and sometimes I cannot have Cruise on the highway.

It is annoying.

Also, the TACC sometimes give false warning and slow down sharply, although there is no car in front of me. Tesla Tech Center is saying it is a common bug for the new Model X. Does anyone else have similar problem?

My Tesla Model X 75D has similar problem. I just picked up the car in Hong Kong two weeks ago!

It has shown "Cruise Not Available" three times already. Sometimes I have Cruise and sometimes I cannot have Cruise on the highway.

It is annoying.

Also, the TACC sometimes give false warning and slow down sharply, although there is no car in front of me. Tesla Tech Center is saying it is a common bug for the new Model X. Does anyone else have similar problem?

I have experienced the sharp slowdown even if there is no car in front of me a couple of times too