Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 75D, early May build.

Ever since delivery, cruise control (and autopilot) fail to work intermittently, about 1/2 the time overall. When it works, it works from the time the car is started for the entire trip. Other times, from the start of the trip there are no visible lane marking on the dash pictogram, and I get "Cruise not available" when the stalk is pulled. Autopilot won't work either, of course.

When it's not available, it's not available for the entire trip. Turning the car off and on doesn't help, resetting the main screen doesn't help. When we start our next trip it's anyone's guess: cruise may work or it may not work.

Doesn't' matter if car and windscreen are clean. We spent some time on the phone with Tesla support and they verified the problem. Told us there might be a hardware problem, but we scheduled a service appointment last week and they determined it was a firmware problem. They updated us to 17.24.28. Got car back; problem unchanged. I checked back with them and they said this was a known firmware issue and a future update (timeline unknown) would fix the problem.

In the meantime, I drove two hours on the highway yesterday with no cruise control (first world problems, I know), and am getting a little impatient with it will be fixed "sometime".

If this is a known firmware problem, it seems like I should be seeing a lot of posts from other recent delivery owners experiencing the same thing. I haven't seen that. About a year ago or more some owners reported getting "cruise unavailable" messages which would usually correct in a few minutes. Seemed to be fixed by re-calibration of the radar unit.

Anyone else having this problem?

I had this problem with my Model S 75D delivered in late May with 17.18.50 firmware. The problem was fixed after I received a firmware update, and I have not seen the problem again. Have had versions 17.22.46, 17.24.30, and now 17.26.17.

I had this problem with my Model S 75D delivered in late May with 17.18.50 firmware. The problem was fixed after I received a firmware update, and I have not seen the problem again. Have had versions 17.22.46, 17.24.30, and now 17.26.17.

Thanks, John.

Really appreciate the reply. Good to know I'm not the only one, and hopefully mine will get fixed eventually.

Hmm. We have a 75D but March build and on 17.17.4. Hubby uses his TACC all the time with no issues. We had received 2 separate notifications prior to the 17.17.4 about an update (one two days after the first) but were busy and when we got around to installing it, the 17.17.4 installed and we wondered if there was another one coming that we should have gotten (had heard there was a later one issued) but to this day still haven't received another update notification.

Tesla really should provide a "standard cruise control" option (i.e., setting to a specific speed) when TACC isn't available..

So that even if the AP software isn't ready to enable TACC, you could still use cruise control, without the detection of the vehicles in front to adjust the speed automatically.

Reactions: renshcp
Our S is another that has that problem. They've replaced the AP CPU & updated the software. It still acts the same. I've tried multiple times to e-mail Tesla to just give us the option to have conventional cruise (no TACC) as an option while we wait for AP2 to be on "parity" with AP1.

FWIW, I notice that if TACC does activate, it seems to be really sunny outside and the car has been sittting outside. Maybe it's programmed for California weather. If I were to guess how often ours decides to work, I'd say 10% or less.

Our S is another that has that problem. They've replaced the AP CPU & updated the software. It still acts the same. I've tried multiple times to e-mail Tesla to just give us the option to have conventional cruise (no TACC) as an option while we wait for AP2 to be on "parity" with AP1.

FWIW, I notice that if TACC does activate, it seems to be really sunny outside and the car has been sittting outside. Maybe it's programmed for California weather. If I were to guess how often ours decides to work, I'd say 10% or less.

Wow, Takumi, seems like your issue is even worse than ours. While offering a standard cruise control would be a temporary fix, I just wish they'd fix the darn thing right!

Initially, over the phone, they told me they might have to replace some of the control hardware. My guess is that since it didn't help on cars like yours, they now feel it's a firmware issue. When was your car built?

Ours S is an inventory car. Since we got it in December 2016 with about 200 mi on it. My guess would be Aug. build? So definitely one of the earlier AP2 cars. What's frustrating is that when AP firmware was "The Shadow Knows," we had cruise. Why doesn't Tesla just have that as an option until they sort it out?

Despite that, we've taken our S from Chicago to Boston, Wisconsin, & to Springfield, IL. We'd love to take it on further trips, but it's really tiring driving without cruise despite the mandatory Supercharger stops.

Thanks, John.

Really appreciate the reply. Good to know I'm not the only one, and hopefully mine will get fixed eventually.

There was a long thread about this a month or two ago. I had identical symptoms to yours and problem was addressed by firmware. I'd keep pushing if I were you.

The idea that this was an intermittent connection issue was floated in that thread but that doesn't match the symptoms.

Last edited:
I had the same problem in October and they came out to my house and replaced the front facing camera.. problem hasn't resurfaced for 8 months (knock on wood).

I called the SC while I was driving to report the issue and they "time stamped" my log to identify and diagnose the problem.

We just started having this problem 2 weeks ago on our way back to Sacramento from Monterey. No TACC, no auto steer, and no auto headlights (on all the time, even in broad daylight). The problem is intermittent and unpredictable. Yesterday, everything was working at first, but then while using TACC on the freeway, we got the 3 beeps and the message, "Cruise not available", and everything was gone the rest of the day. Also not working at all today. We have 17.26.17 (firmware was updated by SC last week when it was in for other issues). We'll be going back to SC as soon as suspension strut comes in, so we'll report to them again (they told us firmware update would resolve it, but it didn't). This is very frustrating.

Same thing just happened to me today. Doesn't look like anything has been fixed. "Cruise not available" garage door did not close automatically. Drove to destination got in the car and when I put the car in drive it thought I was at home and wanted to close my garage door.

This happened to me in my AP2.5 Model S a few weeks ago. I was able to fix it with a complete power off, waited 2 minutes, then started it back up. It hasn't happened since. Give it a shot and see if it resets things.

Got this message on my winter trip to Austria almost at the beginning and most part of the trip I was not able engage AP again. Resetting with the brake and 'power cycling' didn't help at all. Sometimes after a SuC stop is worked again for a little while. Weather was *great*. Dry, good sight, good road conditions and the cameras were clean.

During the trip back home yesterday I did not have *any* issues. THe whole trip AP was available and I was happy again.

Today we went for dinner with a short trip. On the way to the restaurant I had several times AP couldnt be engaged and on the way back AP seemed to work fine until in a long easy highway corner and suddenly AP disengaged out of nowhere. I had my hands positioned good as didn't really have faith in AP anymore but still the car suddenly wanted to go straight I had to counter steer suddenly. Again, good weather and no reason at all for any sensor issues.

Called Tesla and so far they don't know the cause as the remote logs don't show any issues but I would think that the exact errors/variables should be available as why would it not work.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe