Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise problem with the new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model X 75D in Hong Kong last month. But its Cruise Control, TACC, has some problems.

Sometimes during TACC Cruise on the Highway at a speed about 90-100 km per hour, the car sharply slows down (with a Red warning and beep sound) although there is no car in front of my car at all. For some reason, the Cruise software thought there is a car right in front of my car. A sharp slow down is quite scary as the car behind me may crash into my Tesla.

The Tesla Technician says it is a common issue for the newly delivered Model X. I need to wait for the new software update to see this problem. It may take about 1-2 month. However, my foot is very sour when stepping on the acceleration pedal all the time.

Does anyone else have similar problem?

And this is the answer I got from Tesla:

"This bug is only present in vehicle with Autopilot Hardware 2.0 which was only released earlier this year. A firmware update will be released soon to fix the issue, thank you for your patience."

I am worried about the way TACC works. Imagine this
- intersection with a pole that triggers the Front Collision Warning and slows down the car
- someone whitelists that location
- another car a few months later, behind a bus that is stopping just under the pole
- no FCW and you barely manage to stop the car or the FCW kicks in later than expected

I am not saying you will get into an accident but you will be scared. I am not sure I will continue using it in that part of town.
This could even affect the AP.

I am worried about the way TACC works. Imagine this
- intersection with a pole that triggers the Front Collision Warning and slows down the car
- someone whitelists that location
- another car a few months later, behind a bus that is stopping just under the pole
- no FCW and you barely manage to stop the car or the FCW kicks in later than expected

I am not saying you will get into an accident but you will be scared. I am not sure I will continue using it in that part of town.
This could even affect the AP.
I'm seriously hoping that any white-listing will be more complex than that. I'm hoping the white-listing entails training the AI to ignore that particular scenario in that location, so that if the scenario becomes significantly different, it will react appropriately.

I just picked up my Model X 75D in Hong Kong last month. But its Cruise Control, TACC, has some problems.

Sometimes during TACC Cruise on the Highway at a speed about 90-100 km per hour, the car sharply slows down (with a Red warning and beep sound) although there is no car in front of my car at all. For some reason, the Cruise software thought there is a car right in front of my car. A sharp slow down is quite scary as the car behind me may crash into my Tesla.

The Tesla Technician says it is a common issue for the newly delivered Model X. I need to wait for the new software update to see this problem. It may take about 1-2 month. However, my foot is very sour when stepping on the acceleration pedal all the time.

Does anyone else have similar problem?
I've not seen that, but it's too early to tell for sure. What's your software build?

|v8.1(17.11.10)| AP2 |

...wait for the new software update...

I experience that as well.

I think that's because it's better to be safe to assume it's an obstacle, not an overhang street sign or an overpass initially and slow down the car until better info is acquired rather than to be sorry by maintaining the same speed as in the Florida accident.

Right now the system is overcautious, overcompensating but I think it will get better in subsequent firmware updates.