TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

Discussion in 'Model X' started by FoxXxy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. FoxXxy

FoxXxy Member

I guess the honeymoon on my Model X is over :(

ModelX_FalWD_dmg1.jpg

ModelX_FalWD_dmg2.jpg ModelX_FalWD_dmg3.jpg ModelX_FalWD_dmg4.jpg ModelX_FalWD_dmg5.jpg ModelX_FalWD_dmg6.jpg

• Informative x 5
  2. ModelX

ModelX Member

3. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

Again, not to beat a dead horse, but what a terrible, TERRIBLE idea those doors were. Time to abandon them now. They're gonna suck every dime out of Tesla (repairing/fixing them). They need to stop deliveries for a few months and retool. It hurts, but there's no sense in prolonging the misery. Every Model X that ships is more money wasted for Tesla.

• Dislike x 19
    • Like x 10
  4. Sri Kooturu

Sri Kooturu Member

That brings on the question of if Tesla will replace those doors without charging as it is manufacturing fault?

• Like x 2
  5. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    Looks like just the glass panel next to the window is broken? Hopefully that will be a quick easy fix.

• Like x 1
  6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

#6 Electric700, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    First off FoxXxy, it's sad that this happened and I hope Tesla does fix the damage free of charge since the door sensors did not work correctly, apparently.

That said, I really like the falcon wing doors and actually think that it would cost Tesla much more to redesign the Model X now than to fix the sensor issues. Tesla needs to ensure that both the top and sides of the door areas have excellent sensor coverage out to the correct distance so that these situations can be prevented. In addition, they should have sensor failure detection as well if they don't already have it, since I think that part would just be a software update.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  7. loganintx

loganintx Member

Why did you try to open your door under a huge beam?

• Like x 8
    • Dislike x 5
    • Funny x 2
  8. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

I agree that the doors were a terrible idea. Cool at first, but their drawbacks FAR outweigh their benefits.

Benefits - cool factor...um.. maybe you can fit into slightly smaller parking spaces?
    Drawbacks - added cost, development time, no roof storage, snow on roof, lots of tech that will become troublesome, and accidents like these.

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 2
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

My guess is that it's because the sensors are expected to detect obstacles so that drivers don't have to think about it. So he didn't think about it.

I hope that the OP got good photos and will send them to Tesla so they can fix the hole.

• Like x 13
  10. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

If a passenger was exiting from inside, he/she probably wouldn't have seen the beam. And even if the passenger knew the beam was there, one would expect the falcon wing doors to work as advertised and not hit it. That wasn't just a thin pipe or rafter running across the ceiling; that was a large, substantial obstacle that the doors should have been able to avoid.

I'm pretty sure FoxXy is a "she" ;)

• Like x 7
    • Dislike x 1
  11. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I assume because the owner needed to access the car. The OP did nothing wrong as you should be able to open your door whenever you want. It looks like the parking position and beam location added up to the perfect storm of the sensor not detecting it. The owner has to have some faith that the doors will work as designed. Owner is not to blame here.

• Like x 10
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Benefits: easy access to the back. (The whole point of it.)

13. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

It would be tremendously expensive to redesign the Model X without these doors, and probably couldn't be done in less than two years.

It would not be possible to retrofit existing cars with doors of a different design.

Much more likely: better sensors and/or better software.

And maybe rubber moldings to absorb impacts, though this might cause the designer (and any owner with design sense) to lose the will to live.

• Funny x 3
  14. Lawtq

Lawtq Member

Sorry for the OP buy you're absolutely right. I like their look but they scare me. Always thought how is love the x with 5 normal doors!

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  15. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Maybe the angle of the beam caused the sensor not detecting it. The sharper end caused the damage but other part of the beam might be still too far for the sensor to pick up.

• Like x 2
  16. jsollender

jsollender Member

It would be nice to hear from OP what TM has to say about liability of repair. Who pays?

17. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

That sucks. However, people ding their doors unintentionally all the time. The Falcon Doors would have to prove less reliable than a person before deciding whether or not they are poorly designed.

• Like x 3
  18. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Wouldn't that have been accomplished much more easily with normal doors that simply open the opposite direction as normal? Or a sliding door like a minivan?

• Like x 2
  19. Drivin

Drivin Member

Also who is paying for repairs to the beam?

• Funny x 4
  20. Lex

Lex Member

My thought as well -- 90 degree angle exactly in the wrong place, split the radar beam and deflected it away from the receiver. This is basically how much of the F117 aircraft's stealth works.

I'm so sorry the the OP. I'd say make sure Tesla is aware of this incident as they should probably add a warning about unusual ceiling surfaces / angles (probably especially in underground garages, evil, sadistic parking garages).