Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is setting the X trunk opening height different than the S? On the S (with premium package or tech package), you open the trunk to where you want it, then press and hold the trunk button until it gives you multiple short beeps. It will then open to that new height. However, the S doesn't have GPS awareness for the X, so I don't know if the X maybe does GPS "whitelisting" of height for the trunk like it does for the falcon wing doors.
Yes its different. The trunk memory in the X is tied to the FWD memory in garages. You have to first open the FWD all the way. Then open the trunk all the way. Then choose "always open fully at this location" on the touch screen. Thats how I got my trunk to finally go to full open in my garage.

Yes its different. The trunk memory in the X is tied to the FWD memory in garages. You have to first open the FWD all the way. Then open the trunk all the way. Then choose "always open fully at this location" on the touch screen. Thats how I got my trunk to finally go to full open in my garage.
As of v8, I no longer have the option to "open fully at this location." That seems to have disappeared again.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
All of you with the option: that's interesting. I'll post a pic later today showing that the option to add or delete "open fully" no longer exists for me. At least not in my garage.
is the detected obstacle directly overhead or is it off to the side? The reason I ask is because if it is detected by the rooftop sensor, you might get the option to open fully after it opens partially. In the other case where the obstacle is detected as the doors are going up by the door sensors, you might never be given this option since this would be an always on protection mode.
At least this is how I have experienced it, I have a very high ceiling in my garage, and a shelf about 45 degrees off to one side, the door detects this shelf as it is going up and stops before the door fully opens every time. Even though I can manually override it to open fully in that same location , I never get the option to "always open at this location".

is the detected obstacle directly overhead or is it off to the side? The reason I ask is because if it is detected by the rooftop sensor, you might get the option to open fully after it opens partially. In the other case where the obstacle is detected as the doors are going up by the door sensors, you might never be given this option since this would be an always on protection mode.
Back in 7.1 it was tested extensively to be the center roof sensor.

So here is what I see in my garage on both door dialogs (pop-up and settings). You will note that it senses an overhead obstruction and plans to open in "indoor mode". Yet I see no option to open fully.

IMG_2903.JPG
fullsizeoutput_8c17.jpeg

I really feel like the absence of the "always open fully in this location" is bc the side sensors are detecting an object on the way up. I will try to take some pictures of what happens in my garage, I dont have a sensor halo on my rooftop but only a side halo on one side (coincidentally the side that doesn't open all the way up.)

I really feel like the absence of the "always open fully in this location" is bc the side sensors are detecting an object on the way up. I will try to take some pictures of what happens in my garage, I dont have a sensor halo on my rooftop but only a side halo on one side (coincidentally the side that doesn't open all the way up.)
That makes sense. Later, I'll try to park in the middle of the garage and see what happens. Thanks.

Reactions: systemcrashed
All of you with the option: that's interesting. I'll post a pic later today showing that the option to add or delete "open fully" no longer exists for me. At least not in my garage.[/QUOT
Yes, I have the option with 8.0 as well. Was surprised you don't Ohmman. Went to check and was definitely there.

@ohmman the GPS location option ONLY appears if you manually over-ride the door's truncated opening. So after the door opens partially, press and hold either the screen button or the rear passenger button. Maker sure there is no obstruction that will be hit. Then the GPS option will then appear.

Last edited:
@ohmman the GPS location option ONLY appears if you manually over-ride the door's truncated opening. So after the door opens partially, press and hold either the screen button or the rear passenger button. Maker sure there is no obstruction that will be hit. Then the GPS option will then appear.
The problem @ohmman and I are having is that it the option to remember the location is not showing after we override the full opening. Here are some pictures of what is happening in my case. Roof sensors did not detect anything but fwd sensors did uoon entering the garage. The side sensor kept detecting an obstacle as the door was on its way up, it stopped short of a full opening, I pressed the onscreen button and fully extended the door, not option to remember this location showed up. The last picture is after I fully extended the door, no contact was made to the shelf.
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

OK, so I suppose this thread deserves a more comprehensive post about what I'm seeing.

I had 7.1 and opened my doors in my garage. They open nearly all the way. In fact they open all the way depending on where I'm parked in the space. I selected the "open fully in this location" option and found that they would open as much as possible without hitting the overhead garage door. My interpretation of "open fully in this location" was more like "try to open fully in this location," in other words, override the "indoor" setting. I find that setting too low because I wind up with a lot of awkwardness with the front door and the corner of the falcon wing door.

So everything worked as expected. When I opened the doors in my garage, there was a section in the dialog that said something like "fully opening location" with the ability to delete by hitting an X. But they always opened more than the indoor setting.

Then, I upgraded to 8.0, and they stopped opening more than the indoor setting. The section that said "fully opening location" was gone. The option to set the location as fully opening, also gone. I have done as @Aljohn suggested and tried overriding the door opening - effectively opening them further. The "fully open in this location" option doesn't appear. However, once the doors are truly fully open - not just overridden to some extent, but completely open, the option appears.

In summary - I believe 7.1 allowed "fully open in this location" to be set when overriding the "indoor" mode to any degree. 8.0 requires that you truly open them all the way before the setting appears. Upgrading to 8.0 appears to have removed my existing setting as well. I have not tried to make sure the functionality is the same. That is, I haven't ensured that "open fully in this location" will still use sensors to stop to the doors, but I'm assuming it will. I'll work on that tomorrow and hopefully be back in business.

Hope this helps!

@ohmman correct. If I open my driver's side door, due to the proximity of the wall it can not open fully. The option does not appear. The right door can open fully beneath my garage door opener, when I open that door to it full range the option appears. I never select the option because I don't think it determines the range of the doors separately. Not to mention, I don't know how to delete the option should I select for may garage. Hence, since the left door cannot open completely, I don't want to set the option and cause damage.

Since I never load passengers inside the garage (whole host of stuff to traverse), the option for me is moot. I also have a tree near my driveway that sometimes causes the doors to stop. I don't select the option there either --- I don't know that the few feet between the drive way and the garage can be determined. Don't want to take any chances.

OK, so I suppose this thread deserves a more comprehensive post about what I'm seeing.

I had 7.1 and opened my doors in my garage. They open nearly all the way. In fact they open all the way depending on where I'm parked in the space. I selected the "open fully in this location" option and found that they would open as much as possible without hitting the overhead garage door. My interpretation of "open fully in this location" was more like "try to open fully in this location," in other words, override the "indoor" setting. I find that setting too low because I wind up with a lot of awkwardness with the front door and the corner of the falcon wing door.

Hope this helps!

This is different than what I am experiencing. I have yet to see the dialogue to open full in this location in my garage. Although, if i do park further to the left, the passenger fwd will open more.
In certain places where I parked under a tree for example, I have seen the option show up.

This is different than what I am experiencing. I have yet to see the dialogue to open full in this location in my garage. Although, if i do park further to the left, the passenger fwd will open more.
In certain places where I parked under a tree for example, I have seen the option show up.
You cannot open it fully, right? If not, you won't see the dialog in 8.0. It has to already be fully opened (overriding the natural indoor setting). Just overriding some will not display the setting. It has to be completely open. I believe this has changed between 7.1 and 8.0.

You cannot open it fully, right? If not, you won't see the dialog in 8.0. It has to already be fully opened (overriding the natural indoor setting). Just overriding some will not display the setting. It has to be completely open. I believe this has changed between 7.1 and 8.0.
I can open fully actually, that's what is strange. I did notice that when parking more to the left the fwd goes a bit higher.