Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try holding the button until it won't go up anymore and see if it shows up. It truly took until the very last millimeter before it showed up on mine.
Yeah, did that several times. Never worked in 7.1 or 8.0. If i get too close to the shelf it opens up about 60% of the way. If I make an effort to park more to the left it goes up to ~80% which is fine but If I had the option to open fully it would not hit anything in either parking position. Before the major fwd update in 7.1 (when the option to open fully by location was added) it used to open up fully no matter where I parked.

OK.. Hopefully, this may add clarity to the various experiences. You Must have the Door Dialogue Box OPEN to see the option of whether you want to Open Fully At This Location. I seem to recall in 7.1, the doors dialogue box opened when you opened the FWD from the handle or Fob (could be wrong). If correct, although the options is appearing, the dialogue box has to changed manually, if not already present in the display when exiting/parking. I also re-verified that partially opening the FWD from its initial position will NOT cause the Open Fully option to display. Interestingly, as I watched the 17" display with "door" dialogue box on top and used the rear button to continue opening the FWD, the Close All disappears from the doors box -- there is immediate interaction between the buttons and display.

OK.. Hopefully, this may add clarity to the various experiences. You Must have the Door Dialogue Box OPEN to see the option of whether you want to Open Fully At This Location. I seem to recall in 7.1, the doors dialogue box opened when you opened the FWD from the handle or Fob (could be wrong). If correct, although the options is appearing, the dialogue box has to changed manually, if not already present in the display when exiting/parking. I also re-verified that partially opening the FWD from its initial position will NOT cause the Open Fully option to display. Interestingly, as I watched the 17" display with "door" dialogue box on top and used the rear button to continue opening the FWD, the Close All disappears from the doors box -- there is immediate interaction between the buttons and display.
Appreciate the suggestion, Door dialogue was open the whole time, but the option to fully open has never shown up, even after holding open and manually overriding.

Ok, I figured it out. The behavior is as follows:
If you pull in to park and the ceiling above or the garage opening is near full extension height plus a few inches, you will get a partially opened fwd, you can then manually extend them to the fully open position, you will then be prompted onscreen to choose whether you want to always open fully.

Here's the discrepancy some of us are noticing, the fwd will always look out for side obstacles even if you have selected to always open in a specific location. If your ceiling height or garage opening is above a certain height, you will NOT be prompted to choose to open fully in that location and your only limitation will be side obstacles (which you cannot choose to override). The garage entry width may also be in play, passing through a narrow garage opening might cause the fwd to open less than fully as well (not 100% sure about that).

This seems like common sense but when all these factors are in play at the same time it is hard to figure out and predict the behavior. A nice feature to add would be to have a manual override with location memory for an opening height less than full but more than what the sensors are allowing.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Thanks for discussing this feature. I have not found it to work consistently the way I expect it to, either.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to reset the trunk opening height based on location. This feature is mentioned in the version update description, along with the FWDs, but I have never been able to trigger the option to "always open fully at this location" with the trunk. I have it set low, for my carport height, but wish it would open fully everywhere else. Usually, when I'm opening it, I'm not near my screen, of course. You have to push it open manually to increase the opening height. But it is supposed to offer this option, and I can't get it to.

Any ideas? Did I misinterpret this function?

Thanks for discussing this feature. I have not found it to work consistently the way I expect it to, either.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to reset the trunk opening height based on location. This feature is mentioned in the version update description, along with the FWDs, but I have never been able to trigger the option to "always open fully at this location" with the trunk. I have it set low, for my carport height, but wish it would open fully everywhere else. Usually, when I'm opening it, I'm not near my screen, of course. You have to push it open manually to increase the opening height. But it is supposed to offer this option, and I can't get it to.

Any ideas? Did I misinterpret this function?
The low opening mode is activated if the vehicle has just passed under a low clearance. For example, if you have your lift gate set to fully open always but have just pulled into, or out of, a low clearance area (enough to register with the rooftop sensor) the lift gate will open conservatily.

My passenger side FWD constantly hits the shelving in my garage. It's supposed to detect it but for some reason it doesn't. I no longer open that side but still it should detect. Annoying that it doesn't.
Your shelf must be in the "sweet spot" high enough and just at the edge of the door to shere the sensor doesn't see it. If you watch the screen as it is going up, do you see the side sensor halo?

Sorry to bump an old thread but do you guys think my wife is any chance to open the FWD at her work. The beam above the car is 6'4" off the ground. The rest of the ceiling in the spot is higher. The beam above is the main issue. I wouldn't even want to try at the location. I might need to set up a test at home with cardboard. Because it's at work she won't need to open the FWD much but occasionally she may have the kids. Kids can navigate tight space if the doors only open slightly but even with the smallest opening that a human child can fit in or out how high does the FWD arm on the roof lift?
CarPark.JPG

Try geofencing her work parking space to automatically set the suspension to Very Low. Then do a test in the garage, standing outside the car. Open the FWD, but be prepared to override it if it looks like it is not sensing the beam.
Because the beam looks large, I think you'll find that the doors will work, but will only open 2/3 to 3/4 of full open. This is still enough to get in and out.

Try geofencing her work parking space to automatically set the suspension to Very Low. Then do a test in the garage, standing outside the car. Open the FWD, but be prepared to override it if it looks like it is not sensing the beam.
Because the beam looks large, I think you'll find that the doors will work, but will only open 2/3 to 3/4 of full open. This is still enough to get in and out.
Thanks for that information. I didn't even factor in that you can lower the suspension in order to give yourself extra clearance.

Was is the difference between the highest and lowest suspension settings?

My kids would only need the FWD partially opened to get in and out and my wife could always back out before letting them or bigger people in.

I have not been able to read any information on whether you can "manually" open the door a little further once you stop it mid open to allow a bigger opening in a confined space.

Thanks for that information. I didn't even factor in that you can lower the suspension in order to give yourself extra clearance.

Was is the difference between the highest and lowest suspension settings?

My kids would only need the FWD partially opened to get in and out and my wife could always back out before letting them or bigger people in.

I have not been able to read any information on whether you can "manually" open the door a little further once you stop it mid open to allow a bigger opening in a confined space.

If you hold the button it will slowly go up, overriding what the sensors see

There is a single sensor for the overhead distance. It is positioned directly between the falcon wing doors on the roof. Initially, the reading of this sensor would determine the height of the doors, and it would only do so in real-time -- that is, what it sees right now. That's the source of this thread. Things have changed since then.

Now, the system buffers the lowest height detected by the sensor for some specified distance. Once it detects an "indoor" space, the doors open in a relatively low profile, which appears to be independent of the specific ceiling height. For example, my doors can pretty much open all the way in my garage, but they do not. They open the same way they do when I'm in a parking garage. I know it's the same height because the corner of the door is right about at my eyeball, threatening to poke it out if I turn rapidly.

What does this mean for @Tozla's wife? I am quite sure the sensor will detect that beam because it'll be directly below it (assuming she parks as viewed in the photo). I assume the doors will open in a limited fashion and she should be fine. But I'd be very cautious if I were her.

If you hold the button as @K-MTG said, it will go slowly and stop immediately when let off.

A note about the suspension - it doesn't stay in place between when the car is off and back on. Even if you geofence it. So be very careful about relying on that for door opening height.

There is a single sensor for the overhead distance. It is positioned directly between the falcon wing doors on the roof. Initially, the reading of this sensor would determine the height of the doors, and it would only do so in real-time -- that is, what it sees right now. That's the source of this thread. Things have changed since then.

Now, the system buffers the lowest height detected by the sensor for some specified distance. Once it detects an "indoor" space, the doors open in a relatively low profile, which appears to be independent of the specific ceiling height. For example, my doors can pretty much open all the way in my garage, but they do not. They open the same way they do when I'm in a parking garage. I know it's the same height because the corner of the door is right about at my eyeball, threatening to poke it out if I turn rapidly.

What does this mean for @Tozla's wife? I am quite sure the sensor will detect that beam because it'll be directly below it (assuming she parks as viewed in the photo). I assume the doors will open in a limited fashion and she should be fine. But I'd be very cautious if I were her.

If you hold the button as @K-MTG said, it will go slowly and stop immediately when let off.

A note about the suspension - it doesn't stay in place between when the car is off and back on. Even if you geofence it. So be very careful about relying on that for door opening height.
Thank you for taking the time to write that detailed and informative post.

Which button is @K-TMG is referring to?

Can the suspension be manually lowered once in position to effectively give you more clearance?

It would be nice to be able to manually (even electronically) open the doors in small increments so you can work out the maximum height you can safely open to in a confined space.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Also we're getting the car in May. Have they added to or improved the sensors and their capabilities since y'all got yours? I'm talking from a hardware perspective not software.

I didn't know you could geofence very low? I thought just high and very high geofenced.

Looking at @Tozla 's picture, I would probably only open the driver side falcon door if possible. It should open very low profile, but hopefully there is no one parked to the left of her spot.