TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Crunch

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cmc5dc, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

I was in LA and stopped at a couple of malls. Our last stop was the mall on Beverly Blvd and proceeded to utilize the underground parking. The spaces were tight, mainly for compact vehicles but found a spot next a column that gave me ample space to both sides of the vehicle thus preventing door dings. Anyways, returning to my car and without hesitation double clicked the trunk FOB only to realize that there was a low sitting beam above the trunk and everything at that point appeared in slow motion. I quickly raced to the trunk, eyes dilated, mouth wide open and extended my hand to stop the upward bound spoiler but I was a little to slow with my reaction time, one of the benefits of aging :( . In retrospect, I could of tapped the FOB again to disengage but again my reaction time was clouded. So to those of you that haven't experienced a bad day yet, word to the wise, know your surroundings.

2. outie

outie Active Member

Ouch. Any damage? Pic?

3. bushburner

bushburner Member

It's like bad things happen when you're extra careful.

4. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

So it is the trunk with bad sensors, gotcha

5. number12

number12 Active Member

There's a thread about auto present doors failing and Tesla fixing it. He had a valid case and video evidence, but worth a search.

6. outie

outie Active Member

The trunk has no sensor. It relies on the FWD sensor for data. So if it's all clear for the FWD to go all the way up, the trunk assumes the same case. Even though there's a big horizontal beam right on top of the trunk (but not on the FWD) as the OP experienced, the trunk continues to open up all the way.

• Informative x 1
  7. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Bad luck for sure. But my previous SUV's power lift gate was without sensors whatsoever -- it would just open up fully always. At least the X makes _some_ effort to avoid this situation.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

My previous car did the same, but you had to be at the lift gate to activate it so that negated a lot of the impacts, but not all.

9. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Ouch! So sorry to hear about that! I worry about something similar happening with my Model S...

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I had something similar happen to me with the Model S trunk. Where I meant to open the frunk, but clicked the wrong side.

I hope the AP 3.0 hardware has the necessary surroundings awareness hardware as a means of self preservation when the owners are idiots like me.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I've had my MS hatch hit a few ceilings. Thank god I have the carbon spoiler! Not one mark. Without it, I'd be a very unhappy camper. And it isn't even real carbon.

• Like x 2