Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crushing Rear-Seat Passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I love the automatic driver seat positioning when I shift into park--Exit Mode. Unfortunately, if I don't immediately cancel it when I have passengers, my seat crushes their legs as it moves back to accommodate my long legs.

This mode should have an "exception" mode, or default to a "rear-seat passengers" mode which lets me set a suitable seat setting when the car senses butts in the back passenger seat.

Reactions: Ruffles
I love the automatic driver seat positioning when I shift into park--Exit Mode. Unfortunately, if I don't immediately cancel it when I have passengers, my seat crushes their legs as it moves back to accommodate my long legs.

This mode should have an "exception" mode, or default to a "rear-seat passengers" mode which lets me set a suitable seat setting when the car senses butts in the back passenger seat.

You can adjust the easy exit position for whatever default stopping point you desire...

Seats are fooled by empty car seats or packages. They could pop a message on the screen asking if you want Easy entry to continue if a rear seat passenger is detected. Many people do not have the easy entry go back that far so it is an edge case. I suspect this would cause more complaints requiring people to tap the screen.

No. That's not what I suggested. I did not say any driver interaction was needed. All I asked for is a "passengers on board" easy entry setting which would set the seats appropriately and automatically if the rear seats were occupied. I carry packages and suitcases all the time and the seat-belt warning lights have never come on. It's smarter than you think. Would it be terrible if that package of crushable stuff is not smashed when placed in the back seat and you pressed "park?"

I have had the seats register with packages and an empty car seat. Either way the majority of drivers won't put the easy entry seat setting so far back. Best that it is a selectable option that requests driver interaction if the rear seat registers occupied.

My bet is this wouldn't far pretty low on the backlog list for features.

I have had the seats register with packages and an empty car seat. Either way the majority of drivers won't put the easy entry seat setting so far back. Best that it is a selectable option that requests driver interaction if the rear seat registers occupied.

My bet is this wouldn't far pretty low on the backlog list for features.

But possibly before the Fart Easter egg. ;)

You may have picked the wrong car. You seem pretty unhappy with your purchase. Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and find something else that may fit your needs better?

This is the sort of post I find irritating. It is not in any way helpful and most would consider it rude. This sort of statement is actually about the person making it, not the situation they are replying to.

Reactions: hiroshiy
My suggestion is to let the rear passengers get out first.

In easy entry mode, they can't get in, since, in your words, they'd be crushed, so you must already be in the front seat when they get in.

I haven't used the feature, so I don't know much about it, but the OP said the feature is activated by putting it in park. I'm not comfortable letting people get out of the car while it is still in drive. I'm not sure the car is comfortable with that either. Will it let you open doors while in drive?

No. That's not what I suggested. I did not say any driver interaction was needed. All I asked for is a "passengers on board" easy entry setting which would set the seats appropriately and automatically if the rear seats were occupied....

I think this is a great idea. A setting for normal driving, a setting for easy entry/exit WITHOUT rear passenger and a setting for easy entry/exit WITH rear passenger. The choice of the last two being decided based on the seat sensor being activated.

If there is no need for the WITH rear passenger just set the WITH option while the seat is in the WITHOUT rear passenger position and it will always do the same thing.

This does not sound like an unreasonable request at all, even though I would have no use for it as I always have a child car seat behind the drivers seat.

Interesting suggestion. I normally just cancel the full reverse by clicking any of the seat adjustment buttons. This stop shop easy entry from moving the seat any further and prevents leg crush. Also useful in those cases where I know someone will be getting in their later.

This is the sort of post I find irritating. It is not in any way helpful and most would consider it rude. This sort of statement is actually about the person making it, not the situation they are replying to.

I was actually sincere in my posting as I had read through recent threads/posts from the OP about his various and numerous frustrations with his recent purchase. I've made bad choices in buying something I thought would fit my needs in the past. Instead of struggling with such frustration, I believe it's healthier to simply move on with a better choice for your needs. Anyhow, it was just a suggestion from a well-intentioned stranger in a forum of strangers who come to chit-chat over a shared interest. Take it or leave it.

Reactions: BluestarE3
You may have picked the wrong car. You seem pretty unhappy with your purchase. Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and find something else that may fit your needs better?

I chose the Tesla because I passionately believe in the company, the concept, and the fact that it's made in the USA. I love the ability to address problems with software updates. Unlike some who ignore or just live with persistent issues, I think it's important to vent these problems and get people talking about solutions--especially when they can be solved with a downloadable update. That's radically innovative. What other electric car, designed, built and made in America would be better? I've been on the leading edge of technology since the mid-'70s when I built my first personal computer from parts. I want to make the Tesla better. I don't discourage people from criticizing the car and trying to make it all that it can be. I don't belittle them, scoff at their comments because they don't apply to me, or suggest they just go away and buy another car.

Interesting suggestion. I normally just cancel the full reverse by clicking any of the seat adjustment buttons. This stop shop easy entry from moving the seat any further and prevents leg crush. Also useful in those cases where I know someone will be getting in their later.

I'll have to try that. Do I do that before or after they start to scream? ;)

I'll have to try that. Do I do that before or after they start to scream? ;)
This is why I suggest an ability to let the driver confirm on the screen before the easy entry seat goes in motion only if it detects a rear seat passenger. However, as a feature voter with Tesla, I can confirm that this will fall very low on the priority list because it is an extreme edge case. Most just don't set the seat that far back.

You may need to adjust easy entry to a less "crushing" level, or warn your rear seat passenger before putting in park. Designers can't always accommodate all edge cases (just ask tall people on planes about their leg room).