Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT as a bug out vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bugging out by definition means you gotta leave where you’re at. This is quite often the case in emergency. Almost always in fact. Either because war, natural disaster, disease, food shortage, etc etc. if your homestead is habitable then everyone else’s probably is too, and nobody needs to leave. having said that, a vehicle that can charge itsel, however slowly, might be a real bonus in a post apocalypse world.
bugging IN is where your pantry full of beans comes into play, much harder to pull off and also rarely need a vehicle and if vehicle is needed, a motorcycle is probably going to be the best bet. Any car will suffer mobility issues when every other car in the world is blocking every road

I wonder what the “blocked freeway stop and go traffic range” is on the E vehicles? I’ve been in that situation in a gas car and worried I was going to run out of gas just getting 5 miles down the road because it was taking so long to move.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I wonder what the “blocked freeway stop and go traffic range” is on the E vehicles? I’ve been in that situation in a gas car and worried I was going to run out of gas just getting 5 miles down the road because it was taking so long to move.

Electric vehicles use very little energy in stop-and-go traffic. They've proven to perform very well in mass evacuation situations where traffic is crawling and people are running out of fuel on the highway and in gas lines.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Electric vehicles use very little energy in stop-and-go traffic. They've proven to perform very well in mass evacuation situations where traffic is crawling and people are running out of fuel on the highway and in gas lines.
Yup, exactly, people have got the Model 3 to over 600 miles on a single charge at low speed. I would bet the CT could get close to 1000 miles at slow speeds. A fully loaded CT could probably get 750 miles at low speeds. Wind resistance really hurts range and it is a non-factor at lower speeds.

Ah aerodynamics discussion! I've missed you.... ;-)

Indeed, going at lower speeds only make EV's even better, becaue of the lower air resistance. As I mentioned on page 4 of the cybertruck aero thread, if you cover the rear roof of the CT with solar, you can actually travel at up to 10mph just from that for as long as the sun shines. Or you could park it for optimum charging and travel at that speed during the night which would be safer. The effect is that you get much more range, probably 40-50 miles at 10mph instead of just 15miles of highway driving. 10mph is still 3x walking speed plus carrying a ton of gear. To that end, you could probably easily double that PV area when parked, and get twice as far, and if you charge a few days you can go further and faster. Or add a trailer with solar array.

These are the numbers roughly to compare aero at different speeds:
  • 10MPH/16kmh = total W 1141W of which 44W is aero and 1097W is rolling = 114Wh/mile or 71Wh/km
  • 40MPH/64kmh = total W 7159W of which 2771W is aero and 4388W is rolling = 179Wh/mile or 112Wh/km
  • 65MPH/105kmh = total W 19017W of which 11890W is aero and 7126W is rolling = 293Wh/mile or 181Wh/km
Even just driving at 40MPH will nearly double the range. Sure it might not be as convenient, but I'd expect in a bugout situation you won't be rushing to go anywhere, and will be simply glad to not have to walk and carry your gear.

I'm now wondering at what point and on what types of trips it's actually faster, to drive slower, to get to your destination without needing those pesky charging stops.

Last edited:
It'a amazing to see just HOW uninformed this population here, really is........once you parse out the disinformation Detroit crowd, it gets even more basic and,.........ignorant?
What do you mean?

If I'm building a bug out vehicle. I'm going old school. Pre fuel injection Heavy Duty easily repairable. On board welder. Water filtration, Still to make ethanol. Gun mounts
Is it really practical to plan on growing enough crops to make ethanol? I suppose it would be easier than growing food quality crops.

Is it really practical to plan on growing enough crops to make ethanol? I suppose it would be easier than growing food quality crops.

It's really not; there are even strains of grass that can be used to create ethanol gas. Using passive photovoltaic will also be a better option as it frees up resources to focus on food production or other needed services versus energy production.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I'm now wondering at what point and on what types of trips it's actually faster, to drive slower, to get to your destination without needing those pesky charging stops.

My recent experience with a 1400+ mile road trip (each way) in a cannonball / stop as little as possible / drive through to destination type road trip, was that our balance point between charging time and driving time (in a 90D Model X) was somewhere in the 75-80 mph range. We'd go faster when we were charging into the 75% range and then stayed an extra 5-15+ minutes charging more than we needed, and we'd slow down below 75 when road conditions changed or we didn't really stay long enough and the buffer was getting uncomfortably low. The idea when we had more range than we needed to the next charge stop was faster got us there sooner, and the incremental range consumed was nearly 'free' from a charge speed perspective (bottom of the battery is 7 miles/minute, while the charge rate is more like 2-3 miles/minute at the 75% mark).

The tricky part isn't the speed per se - it's the slow down in the charging rate. In our Model X with a max charge of about 255 miles, the charging rate would slow down a lot by about 200 miles of range. Still ok (2 miles / minute kind of speed) up through about 210, but you could easily spend 30+ minutes getting from 210 up to around 240 - it REALLY slows down there.

So as long as the next stop was in 80 miles, then charging fast to 150ish was usually accomplished during a minimal human stop for bathroom and a drink (iced tea for me!), and you could go as fast as the road and traffic allowed (don't need to watch the range remaining at all). For a 120ish mile segment, charging fast into the 180ish range was also pretty good.

But for a 200 mile segment, the charging time becomes a pretty serious impediment (probably charging to 240-250 to allow buffer and weather/elevation gain/ stuff).

All of which shifts dramatically in one of the bigger battery / more efficient cars with say 320 miles of range. The fast charging will still be in effect all the way through 240ish or so, which means even a longer segment of say 200 miles can be charged for in a timely way.

The big balancing point, from that experience, was doing as much charging in the 7+ miles/minute range (bottom of the battery) that was still going quickly at the mid point and a little past (say 5ish miles/minute). And ideally, you want to be ready to go when the charge rate is getting down to 3 or 2 miles/minute. For shorter segments, human readiness was mostly our limit. For long segments, a bigger battery to enable a fast charge into ready-to-go range would have been a big time saver.

The other thing that was pretty crazy to me, was that even with the cruise set at 80, the difference between rated range and actual consumption was pretty small. We might have used 90 miles of range to cover 80 miles kind of stuff. The aero on Model X is amazing (my experience anyway). The noticeable bite would happen when we moved the cruise up to 85. And yeah - going slower definitely extends range in most weather - the noticeable difficult balance point being really cold weather where you need cabin heat (as cabin heat is a more constant draw based on time, rather than ground covered - in that case, faster is better strictly in the context of the cabin heat).

Reactions: Nocturnal and JBee