Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT backfeeding your house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Ford is offering a special J1772 EVSE that can backfeed your house, I expect Tesla to do the same. Of course this will require a special HPWC (gen 4??). The poorman's way of doing it is to connect the charge cord to an existing EVSE and use the 240v output to feed critical loads in your house via a transfer swtich for those loads. Since I have a hybrid off grid solar system, it would be excellent if the inverter in the truck recognized the 62hz frequency shift curtailment method since that is exactly what my battery inverters do and the power wall does. In short it would really be cool to have the CT act as a really big power wall to include interfacing with my existing solar inverters.

Since Ford is offering a special J1772 EVSE that can backfeed your house, I expect Tesla to do the same.

I dont, precisely because of what was already mentioned. Tesla already has a solar and powerwall business, and they cant keep powerwalls in stock. If they ever get around to doing it, the proper expectation would be to expect to have to have teslas powerwall gateway (thus tesla powerwalls) already installed and permitted.

Thats the only business sensible thing that makes sense, Tesla offering something like this as an extension of their "integrated solar + powerwall". I believe that at some point tesla will do something like that. What I dont think, however, is that tesla will ever offer "vehicle to home" or Vehicle to grid" without having tesla powerwalls already installed on your home.

I expect the engineering liability on this application is much more complex than appears. That’s a lot of power going where simple mistakes can burn houses down. Wiring in a Powerwall is stable; plugging in a car opens a new category of problems. (Speaking as an engineer currently dealing with “simple” issues exploding into nightmarish complexity.)

Reactions: Cal1 and Ogre