Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT buyer - confused about taxes at time for purchase - NY pickup location.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, im really new to the tesla order/waiting game. I like others are really hoping tesla sticks to the 6-10 week delivery noted on the new mid range model 3 order page. So I ordered a model 3 and paid the $2500 deposit to do it.

Fast forward to getting the car. My pickup location is Mt kisco NY. How much in taxes are paid to NY on the day of purchase? Ny has a higher tax rate than CT so as i was told no CT tax is owed on the pickup day. Do you have to pay anything other than the NY tax to have the car registered?

Or is all that figured into your loan after deposit, trades and down payments are done?

Thanks everyone.

Doug

I am not picking up in NY, but will have a similar out-of-state pickup and have previously discussed with Tesla employees.
In my case, I was told I will pay no taxes upon pickup, and it is up to me to pay taxes in my state when registering the vehicle.

I live in CT and am scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow. I was told that I have to drive to New Jersey it pick it up. Also, I am being charged 7.75% sales tax, which I am surprised about. Why wouldn't I pay sales tax to CT? Can someone please explain to me? Thanks!!

Hey mike, I picked up my tesla model 3 this past monday in Mt Kisco NY and the final payment I needed to submit prior to pickup was the tesla delivery/document fee and CT 6.35% tax rate. I did not pay any higher NY tax rate. I would call Tesla HQ and speak to a delivery associate and either ask for home delivery or try and force delivery to Kt kisco or the other NY pickup location. I am not sure why you are getting hit with that higher tax rate but i would call and get that sorted out.

Good luck. Car is totally worth it.

Doug

I live in CT and am scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow. I was told that I have to drive to New Jersey it pick it up. Also, I am being charged 7.75% sales tax, which I am surprised about. Why wouldn't I pay sales tax to CT? Can someone please explain to me? Thanks!!
All CT residents will have to pay 7.75% sales tax. That is tax rate for any car purchase over $50,000. Also, you should be picking up from Mt. Kisco in NY. That is where all CT residents have picked up from (as far as I know), and they are well versed in CT deliveries. But if your delivery is tomorrow, your car must already be in NJ so can't really change that at this point.

Managing Sales Tax
Look at the second bullet point.

You do not pay NY taxes for a car that is going to be registered in CT. I would recommend that the following steps:

- Examine the car in Mt Kisco
- Pay your sales price without taxes.
- Get the MSO from the dealer.
- Register in CT same day if possible, pay sales tax and get your plates.
- Go back to Mt Kisco with your CT plates and take possession of your car.
- There is also some paperwork needed for the $3000 CT rebate that you need to ask the dealer.

Definitely do not pay NY taxes. I think the Mt Kisco dealer is very knowledgeable and has dealt with many CT buyers.