Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT eversource net metering and RECS confusion / issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone is from Connecticut and has dealt with tesla / eversource on this issue.
I am a bit confused as of late on both the net metering and also the renewable energy credits for eversource/CT customers.

I had my system put in late last summer with pto in September. I noticed lately that I was receiving 2 bills from eversource each month. One would be a normal bill that shows the typical net metering. For instance in March it was broken down as such.

House used 1200 KWH
Sold back 400 KWH

Net usage was 800 KWH and bill reflected that. Pretty straight forward and had an electricity bill of 197$. However I then received a second bill a few days after that showing the same price 197$ + a 90$ "adjustment"

I called my power company up and everyones confused. What is happening is I am on some whole sale rate plan essentially selling back anything that goes out to the grid for 3 cents a kwh. The adjustment is literally taking the 400 kwh 1:1 net metering and instead of saving the 25c or so per kwh they charged me the difference of the 400 kwh @ 3 cents a piece. Roughly 90$ difference.

As it stands they are doing research / sending it up the chain of command and will be reaching out to me soon with some clarity.

This leads me to the 2nd part of my question. State of CT renewable energy credits under their Renewable Energy Solutions program found here:

I was trying to find detail on all the metering programs and came across the 2 options for eversource that were "Buy all" and "Net metering". I know I am not on a buy all program as I am set up for net metering and dont have a meter where all my solar would be calculated and sold to the grid.

The plan specifically shows 1:1 metering but then something else caught my eye. For the renewable solution program the RECS are paid out at the following:

Current incentive rate​

The netting incentive rate is the current retail rate + a quarterly Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) payment of $0.0318 per kWh. This rate is set by the state and remains the same for 20 years.

I have never received any type of payment for any solar I have generated. I have both Tesla and Eversource now looking into that as well. I see tesla sometimes pays out an upfront incentive and potentially takes the RECs. However I never received any type of discount on my system. I also went through all my paperwork and the REC agreements all point towards me being the owner.

The only thing I can think of is if my system size caused a problem with all of this. Its rated at 26.1KW ac. The plan limit is set at anything under 25kw. They allow allowances for EV cars (which I have one) at
  • Electric vehicle (per vehicle): 3,285 kWh
So I would be under any kind of limit. This is just a guess and have no clue if maybe something was missed.

So at this point while I wait on tesla and eversource , I am just curious if anyone has had to deal w/ this in CT. Appreciate any feedback !

Reactions: namikun
forgot i had this thread out here!

took a ton of work and fighting with eversource , but eventually got my 1:1 net metering working as it should. All offsetting usage now etc. Also got the recs paid out for total solar generated every quarter and the connected solutions paid out for the first year.

All in all roof saved me about 8500$ in its first year between all of this and electricity cost.

Maybe this gives some people perspective and need to be persistent w/ the big companies that manage your accounts. Loving the roof now that its all working correctly.