Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT Steering Wheel Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3SLAROD

May 14, 2019
SoCal
I did not think the CT steering wheel would make it into production. But now it looks like it will make it given that the X and S both have it.

It’s going to be interesting to see how well it functions with the CT. I for one will be looking to the aftermarket to replace it. Although I do like the touch sensitive controls, and I think those should be able to swap over.

Anyone else considering a regular steering wheel?

Not me, and I am old.
If you noticed...the yoke steering wheel would fit into the dash if you could telescope it down. I think this is an intentional step by Tesla as cars go to FSD.
The steering wheel won't be seen or in the way, but can pop-out if FSD can't handle the situation(s) or you feel the need to drive...like through a boulder field.

Not me, and I am old.
If you noticed...the yoke steering wheel would fit into the dash if you could telescope it down. I think this is an intentional step by Tesla as cars go to FSD.
The steering wheel won't be seen or in the way, but can pop-out if FSD can't handle the situation(s) or you feel the need to drive...like through a boulder field.

Interesting, I’ll have to take a look at the pictures again.

Not me, and I am old.
I've read four or "article headlines that now mention what I thought..

I've now read four or five "articles" on what I posted.
Tesla is priming customers for a disappearing steering wheel

Reactions: Purplehayes
Even if the design is to "prepare for the future" should you be putting a yoke steering wheel in a vehicle where it cannot retract into the dash? This is assuming that Tesla is not secretly planning to make that happen with the CT.

I did not think the CT steering wheel would make it into production. But now it looks like it will make it given that the X and S both have it.

It’s going to be interesting to see how well it functions with the CT. I for one will be looking to the aftermarket to replace it. Although I do like the touch sensitive controls, and I think those should be able to swap over.

Anyone else considering a regular steering wheel?
A regular steering wheel to me means a regular truck. I like the difference the CT has in the way of style and differences. To me it was love at first sight.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
I have a reservation for the CT.

I am no fan of the yoke; I understand that lots of people like it or are indifferent. This has essentially been a deal breaker for me when it comes to a new Model S (I've had mine for 8 years now). I don't intend to get any kind of autopilot (or whatever it's called now). For some reason, I find the yoke a bit more acceptable for the CT; however, I will probably look into some sort of replacement if it can maintain the functionality of the CT.

It's humorous to me to read the comments about how F1 racers and pilots use yokes when I'm sure most people making those comments are neither F1 drivers nor pilots and really have no concept of how those work in those specific types of vehicles. Now I've flown several times and flying is different...just different. Having launched a boat with my father's pickup many times, that's tough stuff! It will take some adjustment doing this with a yoke wheel, but I'm sure it can be done. I've never driven an F1 car for recreation or for my profession, so I can't comment how similar or dissimilar it will be to that, but if the average CT driver is driving around like an F1 racer, he should have his license revoked!

Regardless, I will probably adapt to the yoke, but it won't be without some serious inquiry to making it more traditional.

Reactions: Cybertruckweeb
Yokes are designed for rotation around 3 axis, they are also not typically rotated the full 360o that is common for a car steering wheel. For a normal vehicle (ie street vehicle not an indy car) the wheel is significantly better. There are literally no advantages to the yoke for the CT and many disadvantages. The yoke is by far my least liked design decision that company has ever made. The yoke is the #1 thing currently making me have second thoughts about my reservation for the CT.

Yokes are designed for rotation around 3 axis, they are also not typically rotated the full 360o that is common for a car steering wheel. For a normal vehicle (ie street vehicle not an indy car) the wheel is significantly better. There are literally no advantages to the yoke for the CT and many disadvantages. The yoke is by far my least liked design decision that company has ever made.
Agreed, though I'm not having reservations about the CT. I'll figure it out, if I have to, but the wheel is simply the better choice.

I probably won't buy a Cybertruck if it comes with a yoke and there's no first or third party replacement options for a normal steering wheel. I'd give it a week or two but if I still hate it, out it goes.

The difference between yoke steering in a plane or Formula 1 vs a street car is that they have a much tighter steering lock. The tightest turn on the F1 calendar is the hairpin at Monaco, the cars are specifically designed to just barely be able to navigate that corner, and the steering racks ratios are often swapped out specificly for that corner so the driver can navigate it without taking their hands off the steering. There's in car footage from the last couple seasons of Formula E where they do run on some extremely tight courses where the drivers had to turn their yokes hand over hand, and its extremely awkward.

Reactions: FLRifleman
The one thing I am most nit-picky about! Seeing the Tweet Reply Elon made in Response to MKBHD's video is really a poor business choice on Elon's part. It would be reasonable to have an option for a regular steering wheel option as that's basically extra money for Tesla. I think Elon and Tesla should reconsider and offer an optional steering wheel for those of us who aren't fans of the Yolk. It make sense for a Plaid Model S performance car but I really don't think it would fit a huge truck....

Reactions: Rocky_H