TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CTV Calgary and CTV National piece on Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Grassy Knoel, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Grassy Knoel

Grassy Knoel Member

Just completed a 1.5 hr interview with CTV Calgary talking about the Tesla Model S. CTV National showed up as well.
    CTV Calgary will be airing the piece tonight, Tuesday June 11th, during the 6:00 pm broadcast.
    CTV National said they'd contact me before airing their piece.

Tried my best to keep my talking points focused on the practicality, performance, style, technology, total cost of ownership etc... instead of focusing on than the altruistic benefits.
    A big thank you all the forum members on here that have helped me make my Tesla talking points clear and concise.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Great stuff... looking forward to seeing it.

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Thanks for the heads up. It's only been on for a couple minutes, so hopefully I'll still be able to catch your segment.

4. Grassy Knoel

Grassy Knoel Member

Unfortunately not a very interesting piece. Was hoping they'd focus on things other than price and range. Ah well...more free press for Tesla if nothing else.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The article reports "0 to 100 Km in 4.4 seconds". My newspaper advertisement says "4.6 seconds" for that. Any thoughts on the difference here?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in the video they describe an "online update". Makes me think I need to get my updates over RJ-45.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was going to crack wise about a floppy drive when I remembered that the Ford MyTouch system actually does "update" via a USB flash drive, which is almost as bad!

7. Grassy Knoel

Grassy Knoel Member

The Tesla Motors website reports 4.4 seconds, rather than the CTV site no?
    apparently I did a poor job of communicating the updates. I was fairly nervous, was taking a page out of Elons playbook :smile:

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You did fine, Grassy. :)

9. Mayhemm

Gives some good insight into the news process as well: 1.5-hour interview cut down to less than 5 minutes of footage. :scared:

No wonder they can spin news any way they want!

10. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Great video preceded by an ad for, I kid you not, Canadian Tar Sands project! :eek:

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's pretty typical, from what I have seen.

Almost all of the "bad news" I've seen from local news outlets has been due to neglect or ignorance, not malice.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That reminds me of something I noticed. They way they edited the "I just plug it in" comments back to back had a twinge of "wow, seems like you gotta be self-nagging to constantly plug in" to it. No idea if it was intentional on their part or not. I read your intent to be describing the "plug it in nightly like your cell phone, no 'station' hassles to deal with" but the editing gave a different impression.

13. Grassy Knoel

Grassy Knoel Member

You are correct Brianman, the first "just plug it in" was in reference to a cell phone but the point got lost in the editing process. I'm amazed you actually put that together.

14. Mayhemm

Malice isn't really the right word. However, there is definitely a tendency in media to make a story say what you want it to say, which may or may not be accurate. Neglect and/or ignorance can account for a lot of this, but not all.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Have you ever written an e-mail with a premise and by the time you reach the end of it you haven't supported your premise? For many in the media, they seem to click "publish" without a second thought.

16. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Thanks for spreading more of the Tesla word, Grassy!

Out of curiosity, what figure did you give them for range? They mention 350km, but even at standard charge, the S does 370km+ on the 85kWh battery, not to mention 430km+ in range mode.

17. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

430km+ ? Mine tops out @ 424km. I always use the figure of 400km, and tell people less if you like to drive fast (120km/h) and less in winter...

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

19. Grassy Knoel

Grassy Knoel Member

I said rated for 480 km but real world is more like 350 km. I'm getting around 210 kwh because my 3 yr old son keeps whispering in my ear "go fast". Who am I to deny him the Tesla grin? :smile: I'd be pretty uneasy driving around with only 20 kms left in the battery.