TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CTV Ottawa - A Case for the Electric Car

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Nice coverage, Doug!

3. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

Excellent.

Though I think it's odd that an article about electric cars talks about the Volt and not the LEAF. Especially with a sentence that starts with "Lower ranged". Ah, well, that's nitpicking - to see an article with a positive outlook on "mainstream media" is quite something.

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Good stuff Doug!!!

5. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Well done, Doug! You deserve some credit for the support you've shown Tesla all these years!

Unfortunately, more and more charging stations are switching from "free-to-use" to "on-condition-of-patronage".

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

For better or for worse, I think that will likely continue, and I think we'll begin to see "pay for use" stations become more popular as well. When EVs were rate, it was an easy thing for a company to do to get some "green cred" or to use it as a marketing mechanism. But as EVs become more popular, I don't think it's unreasonable for us to expect to pay for our "fuel". Many of the "patrons only" sites will let you charge, sometimes for free or sometimes for a small fee.

7. Judge Advocate

But us Tesla owners don't have to worry right?
    We can use the SC's and not pay a cent. No need to use public charging for the most part.

8. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

Good luck with that on Vancouver Island, across the prairies and northern Ontario, eastern Quebec, the maritimes and Newfoundland!

9. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

I use my purchasing power to provide incentive for businesses to provide charging. Whenever I visit a mall / hotel or other destination with charging, I plug in to ensure the # of uses of the charger is incremented by one, and I tell someone in the establishment I am visiting and using the charge station.

Restaurants and hotels provide free wifi, free big screen TV and other bonus features to compete. Charging is like any other bonus.

10. lukex4

lukex4 Member

While I'm all for free charging at restaurant and hotels, I also wouldn't mind paying a small fee if needed. Charging can't be really compared to TV and Wifi as for these it doesn't cost anything more if 1, 10 or 50 patrons use the service.

11. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Of course it costs, for each person on wifi, the business is paying an internet provider for bandwidth and download size.

A full charge is $10 for a Model S, but most of the time at a hotel, it's more like $4 or so (half a charge) that is needed in our experience. That cost is peanuts compared to the $2000 it cost to put the charger in...just like the $1000 TV and monthly satellite is also part of the cost to attract patrons.

12. NeedWatts

NeedWatts Member

CTV Ottawa just aired a report on the evening news from CTV Toronto by Pat Foran (sp?) regarding the Consumer Reports 103/100 rating.

13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Was this it?
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=691907

14. NeedWatts

NeedWatts Member

Yes, that's exatly it minus the CTV Toronto commentators. :biggrin: