Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cubby under the touch screen - Size, delivery, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cubby is an item on punch list for any and all who don't have it according to Service Manager at Tesla, Menlo Park. They are a 2 minute retrofit. I had mine installed a week ago along with a few other punch list items (No Parcel Cover yet, grrr.). Note that it is ONLY a cubby and doesn't include a replacement for the carpeting in the center area...I thought part of the Cubby install was to include a CF or equivalent runner for the center area. Not the case. If you didn't formally add it to your punch list when you got your Model S, contact your Service Manager so they can get it for you.

I would contact your local Service Site to make sure they set one aside for you and install at your convenience.

The cubby up-close and personal

While I was at the Tesla store in DC I took a bit more care with the measurements of the cubby and also took a few photos. It's 5 1/2 inches deep, 8 3/4 inches wide, and 1 7/8 inches high. These measurements are important as I continue with my work on the control panel for the Passport 8500 and Blinder 905 laser jammer I'm going to mount in the cubby. I'm ordering a spare from Tesla so I can have it all ready and perfectly fit by the time my multi-coat red P85 arrives in April/May.

DSC_2391_1.JPG

DSC_2392_1.JPG

Is the cubby an option? I thought it was standard equipment for every Model S.

It is standard, but a number of cars have been delivered without it. Tesla is shipping and installing them after the fact in those cases. I need a spare so I can work on my project and get it right in time for delivery. But given that Tesla is catching up with supply these I may have to wait for a while.

I believe it is standard but many cars made it out of the factory without it like mine. I guess I could refuse to have it installed but think I'll get it. Do the people who have it like having it there?

Definitely love it! The rubber lining and being slightly angled makes it a perfect place for phone and wallet without them flying around the open center console.

I making a carbon fiber faced box (to match the CF decor I've ordered) for the Passpsort 8500ci radar detector controller, the Blinder Laser Jammer remote switch, and the Parking Dynamics on/off switch for the front bumper sensor. I don't want to mount this stuff on the dash, as it will look so much like aftermarket add-ons. The cubby has enough space and I likely wouldn't have use it anyway.

By using the cubby for this purpose I can make these devices look like they came with the car. All related controller hardware will be in the box so that the wiring will be easy to route and the USB connections to upgrade the Passport and Blinder software and firmware can be made from the faceplate. I'm working on it now and should have it finished in about a week or two. I'll post photos when it's done. I love to do this kind of stuff anyway and have the skill and tools to get it done. It will be unique, which is part of the idea.

Here's a photo of the progress I'm making.

DSC_2408.jpg

I consider this a beta, as I still need to incorporate the Passport warning LED and a USB connection for updating the Blinder firmware periodically. Im also not happy with the rather glossy finish of the carbon fiber. And of course, until I get the spare cubby I've ordered from Tesla (that will likely take weeks or maybe months), the fit is very rough and the controller can't be finished. And I won't have the car to install it in until April or May. But all is progressing according to plan.

Last edited:
I consider this a beta, as I still need to incorporate the Passport warning LED and a USB connection for updating the Blinder firmware periodically. Im also not happy with the rather glossy finish of the carbon fiber. And of course, until I get the spare cubby I've ordered from Tesla (that will likely take weeks or maybe months), the fit is very rough and the controller can't be finished. And I won't have the car to install it in until April or May. But all is progressing according to plan.

Looks great. You should sell your cutout to people too. Are you making a flip-down door to conceal the controls?

The spare cubby finally arrived. I'm glad I held off finishing the control box until it came, as the shape is not symmetrical and my measurements and photos gave me some wrong impressions.

Fortunately the cubby consists of two pieces which are screwed together, which makes it much easer to work with. But to make the control box fit perfectly I have to make some major revisions to what I've done already. Should have it all finished by the end of the weekend. Will post some photos then.

Also the cubby design, now that I actually have one, will make it much easier to make a flip down door that hides everything.