TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cubby under the touch screen - Size, delivery, etc.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jd3

jd3 Member

Cubby is an item on punch list for any and all who don't have it according to Service Manager at Tesla, Menlo Park. They are a 2 minute retrofit. I had mine installed a week ago along with a few other punch list items (No Parcel Cover yet, grrr.). Note that it is ONLY a cubby and doesn't include a replacement for the carpeting in the center area...I thought part of the Cubby install was to include a CF or equivalent runner for the center area. Not the case. If you didn't formally add it to your punch list when you got your Model S, contact your Service Manager so they can get it for you.

I would contact your local Service Site to make sure they set one aside for you and install at your convenience.

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Did you see them do the installation. How does it attach?

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The cubby up-close and personal

While I was at the Tesla store in DC I took a bit more care with the measurements of the cubby and also took a few photos. It's 5 1/2 inches deep, 8 3/4 inches wide, and 1 7/8 inches high. These measurements are important as I continue with my work on the control panel for the Passport 8500 and Blinder 905 laser jammer I'm going to mount in the cubby. I'm ordering a spare from Tesla so I can have it all ready and perfectly fit by the time my multi-coat red P85 arrives in April/May.

DSC_2391_1.JPG

DSC_2392_1.JPG

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Is the cubby an option? I thought it was standard equipment for every Model S.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It is standard, but a number of cars have been delivered without it. Tesla is shipping and installing them after the fact in those cases. I need a spare so I can work on my project and get it right in time for delivery. But given that Tesla is catching up with supply these I may have to wait for a while.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I believe it is standard but many cars made it out of the factory without it like mine. I guess I could refuse to have it installed but think I'll get it. Do the people who have it like having it there?

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Considering the total lack of an enclosed space short of the glove box, it's a godsend ....

8. Zextraterrestrial

#28 Zextraterrestrial, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    I think that cubby is different than mine. There is wood in that center console and I think the cubby has a different bottom..hmmm

aha..yep
    DSC006461.jpg
    maybe the sig one is trimmed different?

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Looks the same to me and the bottom is certainly the same. The camera angles make it look different, and to shoot it a wide angle lens is necessary, which of course creates distortions in the image. Shot my photos with a 18mm wide angle.

10. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

Does anyone know how the cubby is attached? I would like to remove mine. Personally I think it looks a bit cheap since it is mounted at an angle.

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I like it. Tho I don't end up using it for much.

12. Zextraterrestrial

Mine is black and I took the picture with a flash at night. I think the car with the obeche center has silver color to the edge of the cubby but they are the same size
    and yes the camera sucks for some shots ;>

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Definitely love it! The rubber lining and being slightly angled makes it a perfect place for phone and wallet without them flying around the open center console.

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#34 artsci, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Here's a photo of the progress I'm making.

DSC_2408.jpg

I consider this a beta, as I still need to incorporate the Passport warning LED and a USB connection for updating the Blinder firmware periodically. Im also not happy with the rather glossy finish of the carbon fiber. And of course, until I get the spare cubby I've ordered from Tesla (that will likely take weeks or maybe months), the fit is very rough and the controller can't be finished. And I won't have the car to install it in until April or May. But all is progressing according to plan.

15. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Your work is gorgeous!

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Looks great. You should sell your cutout to people too. Are you making a flip-down door to conceal the controls?

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Didn't think of that but now that you ask I will:)

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The spare cubby finally arrived. I'm glad I held off finishing the control box until it came, as the shape is not symmetrical and my measurements and photos gave me some wrong impressions.

Fortunately the cubby consists of two pieces which are screwed together, which makes it much easer to work with. But to make the control box fit perfectly I have to make some major revisions to what I've done already. Should have it all finished by the end of the weekend. Will post some photos then.

Also the cubby design, now that I actually have one, will make it much easier to make a flip down door that hides everything.