Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Culture shock - driving an ICE again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOVE driving an ICE! Every time I do, it reminds me I absolutely made the right decision buying my Tesla!
:wink:

You are so right. Only a week in my 85D and I had to take my old Mercedes (now a backup car...that I hope has a leisurely retirement...) over for routine service/inspection. Turned 155k miles (250k km) just a few days before taking delivery, it was well loved but I have to account for that (155k miles on rear shocks and air suspension anyone?). Even with a 5L V8 and tiptronic for engine breaking I was just struck by the rumble/vibration of the engine even though it is minimal and the gear shifting.

The near silent linear acceleration of the Tesla has to be one of the most compelling features. Of course the first trip over to the big box store I turned to my wife and said, "this is like the first time I'm driving here and NOT getting gas", weekend gas run was a weekly ritual.

I will say that I have always been a "power driver": drive as long and as fast as I can to get to the goal (destination). But now with my Miss, I am much more relaxed about getting there. I enjoy the stops most times and I arrive not only more rested, but in a much, much better mood than before. I used to be arrive completely burned out in every way and was useless until the next day. And in the end, the extra hour or so for charging really makes no difference in the grand scheme of life. I used to think that every second counted. It may well be due to age, but I simply do not care anymore and I have the great gift in driving an amazing car. What could be finer?

I think I have possibly finally learned, after 57 years: "patience, young padawan. It will come."

It has.

It is much easier to sit for more extended periods of time in a comfortable vehicle than an uncomfortable vehicle. Or, for a similar amount of time in both vehicles, to be a more useful person after the ride in a comfortable vehicle. Then, the key is to take advantage of this increased usefulness, by applying oneself more at the destination. This is part of the luxury market to begin with: higher quality human performance being paired with higher cost human accommodations. There is a limiting factor: different humans have different top-end performance capabilities, so different humans cannot afford the same level of accommodations.

With the evolution of the species, superior humans have superior accommodation affordabilities, and this is a self-feeding loop. In parallel and integrated with this is increased efficiency of the accommodations, and if used correctly, this efficiency can increase the affordability of increased accommodations and thus the usefulness of higher evolved humans. In all cases, there is a top end of human usefulness and accommodation usefulness, a pairing that continues to exist, and evolve over time, hopefully for the better.

In almost as many cases, the top usefulness of a human and the top accommodations available can diminish, with age, inattentiveness, lack of competitiveness, injury, or more likely, social decline, invasion of a country, theft, or other lack of continued value. The key is to optimize human and accommodation quality as much as possible to ward off those declines. This is a careful balance we all know too well about, and struggle to complete.

I'm glad you're experiencing the better side of this. Kind of nice around this area, too.

My ICE car is a recently new 2015 Porsche Cayenne, mind you I have been a Porsche driver all my life. After just a week in the new P85D I got back in the Cayanne and was dumbfounded by all the knobs and buttons, the extremely antiquated navigation etc., While I do enjoy the roar of the ICE engine and the refinement of the Porsche, it is blatantly clear that the future is all electric. I cannot say enough good things about the P85D....except put grab handles and coat hooks in the damn thing!

I finally can contribute to this thread. We were having guests over on Saturday and I needed to run on a 20 min errand to grab some BBQ for the guests, and I was taking my 3 year old. She still hasn't warmed up to the 3rd row seat, and I'm not pressing it, so I was going to switch over her car seat from my wife's GMC Acadia. When she heard me say, "I"ll be right back, I just need to switch your car seat over to Daddy's car" she said, "Why don't you just take mine?" Of course, with a smile, I said "Why would I take yours when I can take mine?" Of course before the Tesla, it would've been a no brainer to take hers over mine since the carseat is a pain to move.

After "the look" I realized it was in my best interest to take hers, because I was already going to be late with the food. So off we went, back into the stone age. Immediately I was struck at the lack of acceleration, even though I know Acadia's aren't known at the drag strips..even still it was jarring. Merging onto the interstate there was a slow 18-wheeler in the right lane, and I was waiting for a gap in traffic to merge into the left lane. I knew I was in a slower vehicle and needed at least 3 times the gap that I would need in the Tesla, to have enough room to get out without slowing down the traffic. I saw a plenty large enough gap and changed lanes....I gave the accelerator some love (about 70%)...after what seemed like an eternity, it finally decided to downshift and start to accelerate. The car behind me was closing quite quickly, so I floored it (which I rarely did in an ICE)...and the acceleration was so mild I literally laughed out loud.

Back in the Tesla for work this morning, and all is right with the world again.

- - - Updated - - -

With the evolution of the species, superior humans have superior accommodation affordabilities

Not to get political, but even though I know the point of your thread, something about this sentence really didn't sit well. I certainly don't think I'm a "superior human" because I can afford a Tesla. I consider myself very very fortunate and blessed to be able to afford something so extravagant. As I said, I know what point you are trying to make with regards to evolution, survival of the fittest, etc etc, but that type of thinking was one of the things that initially turned me off from buying a "luxury vehicle", because it is how buyers of such vehicles are typically categorized as.

Besides driving experience, things I no longer enjoy in non-Teslas:
- The sheer number of hardware buttons, switches and knobs.
- The horrible UI. I was watching a BMW I3 review and I was blown away by how bad the interface was. The buttons, the faux futuristic touches.. everything just looked so old school. And it's a modern electric car.
Hiring away those Apple engineers and designers was a really smart move.