Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cup holders (and cheese....)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or simply buy these?

41I4Pu87rIL._SS500_.jpg

As a Brit, I am going to take a deep breath and ask this question. It's asked in a friendly way, and I am GENUINELY baffled by this:

Why are Americans absolutely fixated by and obsessed with cupholders? They hold cups. You need five max in a family saloon (sorry, sedan). They need to hold a cup for each occupant of the vehicle, assuming all of the occupants require liquid replenishment all at the same time. One would imagine the drink gets drunk fairly quickly, otherwise it will go cold if it's a hot drink and go warm and flat if it's a can of pop (sorry, soda). If it's flat water or something unfizzy, it will taste brackish and odd after a while. When you have drunk said drink, surely (as someone mentioned above) the cupholder is superfluous and the can/bottle will get put in a rubbish bin (sorry, trashcan)? So, what is the big deal about them? Before anyone jumps on me and says "In the US we drive 785 miles to do our weekly shopping" let me assure you that I have a job where I drive about 1000 miles a week, so if cupholders were an issue, they would certainly be an issue with me. I have a car that has two cupholders in the front. I use them rarely, but yes it's useful on occasion, if I have had an early start and need a strong coffee to kickstart me, for example. I did not base my decision to buy the car on it's capability to keep beverages in a fixed position, and as long as I have blood in my veins and a brain in my head, I never will.
Can someone enlighten me?

The air inside the cabin dries up when A/C is running. From my little experience in U.S., if you have A/C, run it. A rather startling experience for central European climate zone dwellers (awww I see great Britain belonging to the European continent here, but don't want to start yet another discussion).
So, taking a sip every few minutes while driving prevents your respiratory system from drying out.

Good questions; let me attempt equally good answers (to amplify @VolkerP's response):
  1. America has been overrun by drive-thru windows, with people eating and drinking in their cars regularly. We have also become "super-sized", thereby requiring beefy holders in our cars for oversized containers.
  2. The German automakers, in particular, failed to recognize this issue, fitting many premium cars with inadequate cupholders. So, this reaction on the Model S is in part a learned response.
  3. Your scenario--one cupholder per seat, toss the drink in the rubbish bin afterwards--is entirely reasonable. The Model S, however, only has one cupholder per seat for the front row, and none for the back. Nor does it provide any discreet place for a rubbish bin.

Good questions; let me attempt equally good answers (to amplify @VolkerP's response):
  1. America has been overrun by drive-thru windows, with people eating and drinking in their cars regularly. We have also become "super-sized", thereby requiring beefy holders in our cars for oversized containers.
  2. The German automakers, in particular, failed to recognize this issue, fitting many premium cars with inadequate cupholders. So, this reaction on the Model S is in part a learned response.
  3. Your scenario--one cupholder per seat, toss the drink in the rubbish bin afterwards--is entirely reasonable. The Model S, however, only has one cupholder per seat for the front row, and none for the back. Nor does it provide any discreet place for a rubbish bin.

Good answers! Fair enough, I suppose... still a bit baffling for a Limey, but it makes more sense now. I have never been called "reasonable" before, I may quote you in my pub conversation this evening.....

I'm a Brit now living in Texas. I rarely used cupholders in the UK. Texan heat & car air conditioning means I intake significantly more liquid than ever in the UK. (On trips back to the UK my intake drops back down again). We basically go nowhere without a water bottle. It's also convenient to be able to store a Starbucks once in a while. The cup holders see use every trip we take. The ones on the Tesla appear to be ill-placed, ready to be knocked by elbows - but appearances can be deceiving and in the recent MotorTrend LA-LV trip video, they looked like they were working well. I would definitely be happy with a couple of oversized bottle holders in the car doors.

For my wife and me, they really just act as storage bins for little things we like to keep in our cars, and only occasionally get used for drinks. I've never been too upset by the lack cup holders in the S -- I have a family-friendly Lexus now with two cupholders near where the S has them which i never use for drinks, plus one clever one near the side view mirror on the driver's side that gets occasional use.

It seems to be a partially learned habit-- the more cupholders you have the more you find uses for them (sort of like filling the spaces in your house no matter how big it is), and it's always easier to get used to more rather than less. So for people used to lots of cupholders, going to a car with 2, plus limited other storage, is problematic because it forces a change in habits and routines.

Why are Americans absolutely fixated by and obsessed with cupholders? They hold cups. You need five max in a family saloon (sorry, sedan).

As others have pointed out, we only get two.

My wife and I like to stop by Starbucks on the way to work. The Tesla Roadster has one cup holder, and you can't use it if you have a passenger. So I usually end up packing the cups in the trunk! I can wedge the two of them in beside the soft top, or if that's on the car then I use my computer bag to wedge them in. Luckily the Starbucks is ten minutes from our office so the drinks don't get cold.

We're not American, either. :tongue:

Oh, heck, I'll chime in. :smile:

While I'm not fanatical about them, I do enjoy what they offer:
* Prevents a closed container from rolling around, collecting dirt and junk in the process by attaching to the condensation
* Prevents a closed container from leaving a puddle of water where I don't want it (condensation)
* I *do* keep bottles or a thermos in a holder for a long time (bottled water temp isn't often an issue; thermos -- obviously stays at temp longer)
* I have no problem with eating/drinking in the car. Kind of hard to eat if you can't find a place to set your drink
* Where would I put an unsealed container otherwise? (any drink I get from any restaurant)
* I can quickly put a drink somewhere safe if I suddenly need both hands

A lot of us are driven for speed via multitasking. Drink coffee at home and THEN go to work? Hell no. Make coffee, dump it in a thermos, and take it on the ride with me.

Hope that helps!