Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash - Fixes in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations outside of the service centers?
For minor damage (just along the rim edge for example), you might be able to use a kit and do it yourself. I bought a < $30 kit from Permatex online. It has a filler paste, sandpaper and paint. I have the silver 21" wheels and the paint in the kit does not match the wheels (found that out the hard way), however the touch up paint available from Tesla works well if you can get the rash filled and smoothed out prior to painting.

For minor damage (just along the rim edge for example), you might be able to use a kit and do it yourself. I bought a < $30 kit from Permatex online. It has a filler paste, sandpaper and paint. I have the silver 21" wheels and the paint in the kit does not match the wheels (found that out the hard way), however the touch up paint available from Tesla works well if you can get the rash filled and smoothed out prior to painting.

Hi Steve,

How long does it take to do each wheel and how many wheels will the kit handle?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi Steve,

How long does it take to do each wheel and how many wheels will the kit handle?

Thanks.

Larry
I think there is enough of the paste to do at least 2 or 3 wheels (at least if the damage is only along the rim edge. First step is to sand down the roughness and clean. You then apply the paste then re-sand after it hardens. After my first go at it, it looked pretty bad because the included paint was a different color and texture than the wheel color. When Pete was treating the car, he suggested using a very fine wet-sand sandpaper up to 1500 grit. I got some of that and actually sanded off the the paint I applied from the kit (re-exposing the wheel's original color). I then sanded the damaged area with the finer sandpaper and applied the Tesla touch-up paint. Looks a lot better now, not quite "perfect" but if you didn't know the damage was there, you'd really have to look closely. I still need to do a little more fine sanding and will apply some polish. I've put a couple hours of time into it so far. Makes feel that the $190 charged by the service center is actaully a pretty good deal becuase they did a perfect job when I had the wheels done before. The Model S (in my experience) is very easy to rub up against curbs and/or drive-throughs!

That sounded almost like a confession. Note to self - careful parking next to Larry :scared:

Hi Bob.

Very cute. :tongue:

Yeah, its a confession. I have rim guards on my tires that offer protection from future close encounters with curbs and cover over the damage of past close encounters. When I replace my tires I'm going to have to decide whether to reinstall the guards and/or repair prior damages. From the amount of work Steve is describing with all that sanding we may be looking at professional help.

For those club members that have parked next to me, please ignore Bob...He's a fearmonger. :rolleyes:

Larry

Hi Bob.

Very cute. :tongue:

Yeah, its a confession. I have rim guards on my tires that offer protection from future close encounters with curbs and cover over the damage of past close encounters. When I replace my tires I'm going to have to decide whether to reinstall the guards and/or repair prior damages. From the amount of work Steve is describing with all that sanding we may be looking at professional help.

For those club members that have parked next to me, please ignore Bob...He's a fearmonger. :rolleyes:

Larry

All in good fun. We're up to three rim repairs ourselves.

Got Curb Rash or worse.... Call these guys...

RimFx

They installed the wheels on my Range Rover and I was impressed with their setup. Glad I found them cause my wife nicked a curb with our grey 21" turbines. It wasn't bad enough to warrant a full refinish so I had them just dab some touch up on it (they didn't even want to take money for it - I just tipped the guy that did it).

While I was there I asked them about a refinish and they only charge $150 and they actually do all the wheels for the Palm Beach Tesla store. They just finished 4 21" Turbines the morning I showed up.

I have no affiliation with them except being a satisfied customer.