Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash happened in the first day drive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why Tesla doen't use wheels a little bit narrow, which could avoid getting curb rash?

Doing a quick search on Tirerack.com I tried to compare others vehicules with similar tires sizes, such as for example:

Model Y LR:
- Tires: 255 x 45 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 9.5

Audi Q7 2.0T Premium
- Tires: 255 x 55 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 8.5

Does using narrower wheels, like 8.5 instead of 9.5 could be still safe enough, and would reduce curb rash issues?

A flat faced wheel that is flush with the rim is more aerodynamic than a narrower rim where the face of the wheel is inset from the tire.

They could get the same aero effect with a narrower rim and a aero hubcap that was flush with the rubber though... I wish they did it that way.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Reduced sidewall deflection for performance. Look at track cars and you'll see that their wheels & rubber setups are almost all like this.

I wonder why Tesla doen't use wheels a little bit narrow, which could avoid getting curb rash?

Doing a quick search on Tirerack.com I tried to compare others vehicules with similar tires sizes, such as for example:

Model Y LR:
- Tires: 255 x 45 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 9.5

Audi Q7 2.0T Premium
- Tires: 255 x 55 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 8.5

Does using narrower wheels, like 8.5 instead of 9.5 could be still safe enough, and would reduce curb rash issues?

Truly a-hole comment here, but seriously, do y'all think Tesla wheels are worse than any other wheel regarding curb rash? The issue isn't the wheel, the issue is, in my region at least, the thousands of unpainted curbs (medians, dividers, etc) that aren't highly visible. Also decreasing radius drive-through curves (banks, fast-food) that just aren't visible from the driver's seat.