Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash MYP 21" Uberturbine (Fixable?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife went on a Costco run and took the MYP. It came back with a deep curb rash on the right rear wheel.

This one looks pretty deep and not sure if it can be fixable. Looking for recommendations.

Does Tesla sell 21" Uberturbine wheels separately?

Is anyone in the Bay Area looking to sell their Uberturbine as a set (4x wheels + tires) or separate set (Just the rears only)?

Thanks in advance.

rear_uberturbine.jpg

Is the directional tread pattern facing the correct way?

Why does it say “inside” on the outside face of the wheel/tire?

Brandon# - Good catch. When I took delivery, there was a chip on the wheel and the service advisor ended up swapping it with another wheel while using the existing tire. Should I raise a service appointment to get this fixed? How dangerous is this?

Yes, it can be fixed. No need to stress, $h!t happens. Look up wheel repair in your area and check reviews.

I know this is probably too far for you, but worth a look. Onsite Wheels, in Garden Grove, CA. 5-star reviews and have experience with Tesla. There's a curbed Uberturbine that was fixed, looks like new.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: NaiWiste
Brandon# - Good catch. When I took delivery, there was a chip on the wheel and the service advisor ended up swapping it with another wheel while using the existing tire. Should I raise a service appointment to get this fixed? How dangerous is this?

I would have them swapped. Typically tires that have an asymmetrical pattern are designed to rotate a certain direction for optimum traction, especially in rainy conditions.

It’s amazing what wheel repair shops can do these days. As others have stated, they can make wheels with curb rash look new again. Prices are usually pretty reasonable (~$100).

I’ve seen some folks use wheel protector rings to prevent curb rash. That may be an option if you’re worried about curb rash.

(I know I will be once we finally take delivery of our MYP). However, I think we will end up swapping the 21”s for 19”s.

Another side question. Do they remove the tire when doing the repair work and powder coat?

They did not on my case. They had a collection of like 30-40 gray paint (in your case black) that could match the exact paint. They do it without removal. You can search them on internet (they have good reviews and easy to find) contact them, send a photo and get a quote before you go.

• Informative
Reactions: NaiWiste
This is why I get nervous when my wife takes my car. Hell when I let her drive I tend to annoy her as I'll make comments she is getting to close to the curb from my anxiety

I found a video that might explain why there might be more curbing of Tesla wheels. For the impatient folks out there, it’s at 1:49 seconds of the video. Most cars have their camera centered and now you know why. My bmw 540 rear cameras shows the top down view and helps you avoid the curb.

I’m buying this to prevent mine from curb rash.
Wheel Bands™ Kit for Tesla Owners

I hope this helps.

This is why I get nervous when my wife takes my car. Hell when I let her drive I tend to annoy her as I'll make comments she is getting to close to the curb from my anxiety
You read my mind....

I have extreme anxiety of curbing my beautiful Uberturbines. I feel much better that it's only $100-150 to repair a rim. I should just budget ~$400 maintenance expenses to do the repairs once a year.

I saw two MYPs parallel parked at the RDU airport. Both had curb rash and one of them had curb rash on all 4 rims covering at least 40% of each wheel.

You read my mind....

I have extreme anxiety of curbing my beautiful Uberturbines. I feel much better that it's only $100-150 to repair a rim. I should just budget ~$400 maintenance expenses to do the repairs once a year.

I saw two MYPs parallel parked at the RDU airport. Both had curb rash and one of them had curb rash on all 4 rims covering at least 40% of each wheel.

100-150 $ a rim sounds fine, just paying for it a few times a year does not. :) I will be taking delivery of my MYP (Europe) in Q1 od Q2 2022, one of the first things would be replacing the wheels with some lightweight 19s.

Attachments

• 20210926_154353.jpg
    20210926_154353.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 709