Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash. Ouch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway to fix this on our own? I assume no due to the color being taken off and I assume its anodized or something similar. I have only 1 small nick but it is the only blemish and I would love to fix it unless it involves going to a body shop.

I put a product called Rimz on my model S the air has to be reduced in the tire and then they have flanges that hold them in place after the tires are reinflated . they come in different colors mine were red. the protrude enough to take the abuse from the curbs. they cost about $100 dollars for a set.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
My $.02, most rim shops will repair rashes <$200 each. I've bought on Amazon those rim guards (rather inexpensive) as preventative and personally find them to work well. Depending how far those curbs reach out to bite your rims, those protectors will get smashed and easy peasy replace them while keeping your rims untouched. Although I don't think it would have helped the OP, it works well for parking incidental rubs. Ultimately, it'll all depend if you like the look of them or you'll just need to abstain from curbs:D Good luck!

17 months and not a scratch on my X, and then yesterday I got sloppy and cut a corner too sharply. Either that or the curb jumped out and bit my wheel.

Rim Doctor appointment already set up.

Don't you hate that first ding?

View attachment 588774

Wheel Protector

Attachments

• 2020_TESLA-3_10_resize.JPG
    2020_TESLA-3_10_resize.JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 121
I had my car serviced a couple of months back, on my driveway, using the Tesla mobile service. Tired of hitting the curb with my tire rims (I use Rim Blades to reduce the damage), I asked the service tech why do the rims stick out beyond the tire profile. He claimed that is makes the base of the tire wider to gain better stability during cornering. The base of the tire is wider than most other wheels where the tire wall protrudes beyond the rims. Anyone for electronic curb feelers?

Here is something I found on line about a new product, in development, that should solve this curb rash problem:

SmartRim takes sideways approach to preventing wheel damage

The SmartRim was created by technology entrepreneur Steven D. Domenikos with a view to giving drivers a clear idea of their proximity to curbs and other unsighted car wheel obstacles. It employs a sensor that measures the time taken for ultrasonic waves to reflect off nearby objects dozens of times every second.

The device also contains a micro-electromechanical sensor that is used to constantly measure acceleration and can reportedly detect actions like a person entering the car. This helps it to be aware of its environment and allows it to become active only when necessary, thus saving energy.
The SmartRim sensors are wireless and relay information to an accompanying iOS mobile app. The app is then used to provide alerts when the vehicle gets near to a curb, walls or other hazards.
An Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for the SmartRim has just launched, with a pledge of US$345 currently getting you a set of the sensors – when and if they reach production. A subsequent retail launch will reportedly see the system priced at $495 per vehicle, for which buyers will receive a sensor for each wheel and the SmartRim app.

Few driving noises can be as deflating as that of a car wheel scraping against the curb when parking. It means you've misjudged your distance from the sidewalk and inflicted some ugly and potentially expensive damage on your wheel. The SmartRim is a device aiThe SmartRim was created by technology entrepreneur Steven D. Domenikos with a view to giving drivers a clear idea of their proximity to curbs and other unsighted car wheel obstacles. It employs a sensor that measures the time taken for ultrasonic waves to reflect off nearby objects dozens of times every second.

The SmartRim relays information to an iOS app, which provides alerts when a wheel gets close to an obstacle
Installation of the SmartRim is claimed to take just a matter of minutes. It attaches to the inside of a wheel well using the high bond adhesive and removable clip base-plate provided. The device is powered using a single AA battery that is said to last for more than 1,000 parking cycles. It's said to be waterproof, dust-proof, dirt-proof, vibration-proof and able to operate between temperatures of -20 to 120° F (-29 to 49° C).

Last edited:
17 months and not a scratch on my X, and then yesterday I got sloppy and cut a corner too sharply. Either that or the curb jumped out and bit my wheel.

Rim Doctor appointment already set up.

Don't you hate that first ding?

View attachment 588774
The day we picked up my wife's new Model 3 she rode the curb when parking and scratched the rim. The Tesla Model 3 is not like a traditional gas burning vehicle in that the tire hits the curb first and gives you feedback to the steering wheel. I wish the side sensors would be set up to give you a warning that the rim is about to strike or that the vehicle is approaching within a few inches. Elon, are you listening?
I don't get to drive her Model 3 very often, recently I was parking it for her at the curb in front of my house and I really scratched up the front right rim! I've purchased touch up paint and sealer. A fine sanding with a foam sanding block helps to prepare the surface first. My suggestion for an additional skill to be added for the side sensor.

The day we picked up my wife's new Model 3 she rode the curb when parking and scratched the rim. The Tesla Model 3 is not like a traditional gas burning vehicle in that the tire hits the curb first and gives you feedback to the steering wheel. I wish the side sensors would be set up to give you a warning that the rim is about to strike or that the vehicle is approaching within a few inches. Elon, are you listening?
I don't get to drive her Model 3 very often, recently I was parking it for her at the curb in front of my house and I really scratched up the front right rim! I've purchased touch up paint and sealer. A fine sanding with a foam sanding block helps to prepare the surface first. My suggestion for an additional skill to be added for the side sensor.

Nothing to do with being gas or electric. Everything to do with selecting wide low profile wheels.

My 2018 Model X has the standard 20" wheels (and no PUP) and the tires hit the curb first. If I would have got the optional 22" wheels (or a package that includes them) the wheel would hit the curb before the tire. The same thing happened to me on BMWs and Infinits with optional sports/performance packages. And of course, the stealer charges $200/wheel for these as damage at the end of the lease.