TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Curb Rash Poll

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by joefee, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Curb Rash Poll - select 1

1. By some miracle, I don't have curb rash YET !

44 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. I have minor curb rash on 1 wheel

37 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I have minor curb rash on 2 wheels

15 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 1 or more rims need to be repaired due to curb rash

11 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. I replaced 1 or more rims due to curb rash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

2. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I selected 1 wheel.

One car in front of me at red light where I wanted to turn right. Of course, they were nowhere near the left side of the right lane. I think I had about two inches of clearance between my left mirror and their car, and then I heard the grating noise from my right rear wheel.
    I was only going about 2 mph, but it was enough to do the damage. :-(

It would be nice if the rubber of the tire extended farther out from the wheel than the rim.

3. aaronw

aaronw Member

Some new choices should be added, such as "My wheels wear protection" (i.e. Alloy Gators) and "I don't yet have my model S".

I have a set of Alloy Gators waiting to be installed when I get my model S, hopefully in 12 days.

It took a couple weeks to receive them from the UK.

-Aaron

Green Model S Perf with Pano Roof, Tan Interior, 21" Grey Wheels, Sound, Tech, Expected 2/23 - 3/9

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Blah... Every time I go to ny my car suffers. Finally Rashed a wheel today a block from the tesla service center :(

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

What do I pick? I rashed 3 wheels, but got them repaired at the service center without wheel replacement.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The Tesla service centers can repair curb rash?

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes. I don't know if they send them out, or fix them locally, but I have four beautiful looking wheels again. $372 for all 3.

8. Zextraterrestrial

Miracle? I am careful and have no CR ...but today I touched my first curb at Costco and luckily I was at an angle where I rode up it barely with the rubber of my tire. that may have been a miracle ;> I obviously wasn't careful enough but lucky

9. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

"1 or more rims need to be repaired due to curb rash" would fit your situation. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

The poll is to see how wide spread/severe the problem is. In your case the "miracle" in choice #1 is that your
    "wheels wear protection."

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Need to change my vote. Yesterday was the first day that was warm enough to hand wash the car. Discovered a little curb rash on my right rear 19". You probably wouldn't notice it unless you bend down to look, but it's there!

11. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

we put the Alloy Gators on ASAP after reading the stories and seeing the pictures. it's really taken a load of worry off our minds. the gators come with a nice little tool for trimming the birs off when curbing occurs. the 21's are worth it, they are beautiful! http://www.alloygator.com/

oh, and one more thing, I think it would be worth having a separate poll for the 19" wheels, it would be very interesting to see how many of the folks with 19's still get rash.

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I agree. I've wondered that myself...

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

...and put me down for curb rash. Just bumped my rear right wheel pulling into a parking spot. :cursing:

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I got "car wash wheel rash" a month or so ago. First and last time I'll take mine through the style that pushes the car through guided rails.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes, Tampa took care of one rim for me; I believe they brought someone in to do it. Don't recall the cost and I'm away from home now, I'll let you know when I can pull out the invoice but it was entirely affordable.