Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to scrape a curb yesterday in my YLR with the front passenger induction wheel. I ordered this curb rash repair kit from Zink and it will be delivered tomorrow. I'll post before and after pictures when I do the repair.

I managed to scrape a curb yesterday in my YLR with the front passenger induction wheel. I ordered this curb rash repair kit from Zink and it will be delivered tomorrow. I'll post before and after pictures when I do the repair.

I considered buying this too. Let us know!

Reactions: ZinkWheels

@wkramer28451 how did that kit work out? I made a horrible mistake yesterday! I know taking it to a shop is best but an 80% solution is good enough for me. Thnx

@wkramer28451 how did that kit work out? I made a horrible mistake yesterday! I know taking it to a shop is best but an 80% solution is good enough for me. Thnx
I used the sandpaper and disk to smooth out the rash until it was fairly smooth but not perfectly smoothed. I then used the included paint, 2 coats. I just went out the look at the rim to see if I could see the repair. I couldn't see it until I ran my fingers along the edge of the rim. Once I found it, looking closely it was a bit shinier than the rest of the rim when looked at in certain angles (that could be because my rims were ceramic coated along with the rest of the car). I would highly Recommend this repair kit for minor rash where the rim isn't dented and just rashed.

I used the sandpaper and disk to smooth out the rash until it was fairly smooth but not perfectly smoothed. I then used the included paint, 2 coats. I just went out the look at the rim to see if I could see the repair. I couldn't see it until I ran my fingers along the edge of the rim. Once I found it, looking closely it was a bit shinier than the rest of the rim when looked at in certain angles (that could be because my rims were ceramic coated along with the rest of the car). I would highly Recommend this repair kit for minor rash where the rim isn't dented and just rashed.
You can use a satin clear to make the finish match.

I scraped my 2022 Model 3 against a curb yesterday. I am in the Atlanta area, and got several quotes for repair ranging from $85 to $270. I went with the cheapest, and am glad with the results. Here are the before and after shots. It's basically the same process as the video above, but the sanding was with an angle grinder, and the painting included primer, base coats, and a clear coat. Well worth a few extra dollars IMO.

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

Reactions: Esha628
I also got the Zink repair kit and it worked great on my MYLR. Very easy to do as well.

You can get your own materials for less, but I preferred the convenience of getting everything I needed all at once. The paint color could take longer to match and the Zink kit takes care of that without having to take multiple trips to the hardware store (which also adds to the overall cost).

Great to hear the Zink Wheels repair kit works. I curbed one induction rim in a parking garage bc of the way they designed it (they had a 4" high slab of concrete extend 2.5 feet past a support column, so when you pull out of the parking spot you don't see it and hit it...f'ing bs). I'll be ordering one soon.

Is it even worth it to have a mobile repair do it? They use a heated trailer. I’m in frigid WI.
My guess is Zink recommends warm weather so the alloy wheel and paint is warm so they adhere to each other (and won’t rub off from car washes, etc). So, I’d think you’d need the wheel to be warm prior to applying the paint, and then remain warm until the paint fully dries. Plus, Zink recommends two coats.

Personally, I’m going to wait to apply mine when it gets warm next year.

My guess is Zink recommends warm weather so the alloy wheel and paint is warm so they adhere to each other (and won’t rub off from car washes, etc). So, I’d think you’d need the wheel to be warm prior to applying the paint, and then remain warm until the paint fully dries. Plus, Zink recommends two coats.

Personally, I’m going to wait to apply mine when it gets warm next year.
I'm in the same boat. I got some rash on one Uberturbine wheel of my MYP and I ordered the Zink kit. Now it's in the 20's and far too cold to try and repair the wheel. Honestly, after I cleaned the wheel and removed most of the gouged material with some 600 grit, I hit it with a black sharpie and it's hard to tell from 5' where the rash is. It can wait until warmer Spring temps!

Reactions: Koolio46
I'm in the same boat. I got some rash on one Uberturbine wheel of my MYP and I ordered the Zink kit. Now it's in the 20's and far too cold to try and repair the wheel. Honestly, after I cleaned the wheel and removed most of the gouged material with some 600 grit, I hit it with a black sharpie and it's hard to tell from 5' where the rash is. It can wait until warmer Spring temps!
Mine just looks “ok” after a Sharpie. Definitely not how I’d like to leave it. I’m debating on a $150 mobile trailer rim repair guy to just fix it.

Attachments

• 9D26A2F8-D4FD-4B34-9E02-88A0208494BE.jpeg
    9D26A2F8-D4FD-4B34-9E02-88A0208494BE.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 41976FEF-D4D0-4BAD-A553-AEDAA4215B2F.jpeg
    41976FEF-D4D0-4BAD-A553-AEDAA4215B2F.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 464
Will the Zink kit work as it gets colder outside? I’m in SE WI where it’s in the 30’s-40’s.

Hi folks!

I don't recommend painting below 60F; I've seen paint discolor and misbehave when the air -- AND the wheel -- are cold.

For best results, I would pull your car into a garage or other indoor space that you can heat up... and make sure that the wheel is also warmed up sufficiently. If it's cold to the touch, then it may be too cold to paint. The paint will stick, but the color may not be right.

Good luck!
:)