Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash - Wheel Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fixed it myself with the following 2 products from Canadian Tire :
Bondo Glaze/Spot Putty, 127.5-g | Canadian Tire
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All-In-1, Dark Shadow Grey (CX) | Canadian Tire

IMG_4757.JPG IMG_4756.JPG
IMG_4758.JPG IMG_4759.JPG

Is the Bondo step really worth the effort?
Watching the video instructions for it really put me off wanting to try it myself.

I already have the Dupli-colour touch up paint and was waiting until it warms up outside to apply it.

I touched up a couple wheels with the Ford Dark Shadow (CX) Dupli-color scratch fix. It's a pretty good match (perhaps slightly darker). As for whether to use Bondo, it depends how perfect you want it and/or how much you are willing to sand off the existing wheel. Without Bondo, you'll need to sand down to the metal and then some if you want the finish to be smooth. In the end I just sanded enough so there weren't any burs (I.e. bits of metal sticking out) and didn't sand much of the original paint. As a result the finish isn't smooth. I did a few coats and sanded in between so the paint did fill it a bit but if I did it again, I'd probably use Bondo as the result would be nearly impossible to spot even when looking closely.

Having said that, you'd probably never notice the unevenness unless you were looking for it. It's not something I can spot as I'm walking up to my car.

For more serious rim rash or bent/broken rims in the GTA Union Rim is a very experienced shop for wheel repairs of any kind and also for complete wheel refinishing/powder coating. Here are a couple of videos outlining both at Union Rim:

Repair:

Refinish:

And FYI the same YouTuber showing paint chip/scratch repair. This could apply to both car body and wheels:

Last edited:
When I got quotes from different places in Vancouver, price ranges were close but some shops said it will take them few hours and some other said few days. Why there is a big difference in how they fix wheels?

Fitting it into their schedule and what needs to be done. My wheels were gone for a week but it was a Muti-step complete refinishing.

I saw a few videos on changing tires etc. where the DIY guy lays his wheels down on the pavement. Ummm... can't do that with the 3's stock wheels.

I did some repairs for the odd curb scrapes. First pass I used a series of progressive sandpaper - 80, 400, 800 I think it was. Then the Ford Dark Shadow Grey - from Canadian Tire comes in a touch-up brush can sort of like nail polish. If I look, I can see the irregular surfaces where I had some serious curb gouges, but when the colour matches you have to look to see them. I'm thinking if sand and add another coat, rinse and repeat, the result will be even smoother. I'm not looking for show-car perfection, more like that the problem does not jump out at you.