Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model S is the finest car that I have ever owned, and the most expensive (hahaha). I purchased an Inventory car which already had 21" wheels/tires. The green wheels on a red Tesla really look sharp. What I did not anticipate was the amount of money I would spend repairing the damage every time I accidentally brush against a curb. I have become super cautious when pulling in and out of parking spaces. Still, it's a problem. I've looked into rim protectors but it looks like they might need to be replaced when tires are replaced.

My question. Has anyone else experienced grief with 21" wheels/tires? Does anyone have a solution?

Lots and lots and lots of grief from the 21" wheels. My solution was something called rimskins here, no doubt you'll have something similar available.
Rim Protection - Alloy Wheel Rim Protector | Rimskins™
When they're installed you can't tell that there was ever any damage on the wheel and most people don't even usually see them. The service centre marked my car as having perfect wheels when I checked it in for a service with the rimskins on (three wheels actually had rim rash.) The only thing is I need to keep getting them reinstalled every 6-12 months but they're worth their weight in gold.