Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rush - should I replace the tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tedsk

Dec 16, 2016
NC
Still getting used to new dimensions and turning radius. Got my first curb-rash recently - first one in about 20 years or so -(
Unfortunate thing is that with scratches on the rim I got missing chunk of rubber from my tire as well.
It seems bad and I'm afraid it whole tire should be replaced.
Any advise?
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG

Still getting used to new dimensions and turning radius. Got my first curb-rash recently - first one in about 20 years or so -(
Unfortunate thing is that with scratches on the rim I got missing chunk of rubber from my tire as well.
It seems bad and I'm afraid it whole tire should be replaced.
Any advise?View attachment 217036 View attachment 217038

Ouch. I think that huge of a chunk in the sidewall is an issue. I'd ask a pro though to be sure.

I think the car's turning radius is poor and it's a boat. But I'm getting used to mine. I've definitely gotten some curb rashes on my rims navigating a tight curbed coffee drive through....

Reactions: Lu Ann and tedsk
I think the car's turning radius is poor and it's a boat. But I'm getting used to mine. I've definitely gotten some curb rashes on my rims navigating a tight curbed coffee drive through....

its turn radius is within the norms of a very large sedan, but yeah it's worse than most cars. if you are coming from a mid-size car or smaller, it's going to be an annoyance. i drove a '78 continental for a while, the Model S turns like a sub-compact compared to that thing.

2 things. If the pothole is in a parking lot you may be able to get the land owner to reimburse you. I had this happen to me in a Home Depot parking lot and HD paid me for the repair.

My understanding is that as long as the steel bands (?) are NOT showing it should be ok, but that is my non-professional opinion. FYI I also had a similar thing happen to me. In my case the SC told me it was purely cosmetic and said I should be fine. A little Tesla touch up paint to take care of the rim.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedsk
Your tire is fine, my wife did this a 2 consecutive sets, didn't replace either tire. If your tire starts to form a "bubble" or bulge on the sidewall then you'll need to get it replaced. That rubber lip is there to protect the tire and it often comes out in chunks.

• Informative
Reactions: tedsk
I used to work in wheels and tires. If you showed up at my shop, I'd make you sign a release to drive off on that tire. That might be extreme, but it isn't worth the risk. That is a part of the tire that isn't designed to wear and the chuck goes past the lip of the wheel.

Free advice is what it's worth, so go to a tire place (or two) and have the look.

I do agree the wheel is fine and can just repaint/recoat the wheel.

That is not an insignificant chunk. If it we me, I would replace it immediately. There is a lot of stress on a tire sidewall, particularly when cornering. And remember, you have no spare when it blows out. If it does blow out, by the time you pull over, you might also have destroyed your wheel. And those aren't cheap.

If you take your car into a tire shop they will tell you to replace the tire as a safety precaution and to avoid any liability. If you walked into the same tire shop without the car and asked them if their own tire had a chunk out of it that didn't expose the radial band then they would tell you that they wouldn't replace it!

• Informative
Reactions: Tanquen and tedsk