Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curbed 20” Induction rims / Replacement question

Subhuman

Aug 1, 2013
United States
Well the wife murdered one of her 20” induction rims on her less than one month old Y on a curb tonight.

There is also a tear in the sidewall of the tire so it most likely should be replaced as well. She didn’t just rub the rim of the wheel but she actually scraped up two of the spokes pretty bad.

Anyway, I will probably look to replace with a new wheel and tire and consider refinishing the scraped rim and keep the damaged tire as a spare.

Since you can’t just order it online at shop Tesla it looks like you have to go through service to order it. Has anyone done this? Will they ship it? Can mobile service switch it out? Would there be a charge if I had mobile service do it?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get it replaced. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

fr4c

Jan 4, 2019
New Jersey
Rather than a new wheel, depending on how bad the damage is a reputable wheel repair shop should be able to fix it up for around $150. I'd imagine a new 20" Induction wheel will be at least double if not more from Tesla.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

Subhuman

Aug 1, 2013
United States
Rather than a new wheel, depending on how bad the damage is a reputable wheel repair shop should be able to fix it up for around $150. I'd imagine a new 20" Induction wheel will be at least double if not more from Tesla.

Yeah, the problem is where I live there are no local shops. I would have to mail it in somewhere. By the time you add up the cost of shipping and how long the car would be out of service it’s no longer worth it. Additionally I had a bad experience in the past where I had a wheel refinished and it didn’t match at all. Since then, I am leery about having wheels refinished.

bmil03

Mar 14, 2020
ILannoy
Take a look on eBay. I saw a few wheel + tire options. My wife recently did the same thing on our Y, about 45 days into owning it. The wheel damage was pretty minor, but I’ll look to replace the wheel at some point in the near future.

Reactions: Subhuman

Subhuman

Aug 1, 2013
United States
Take a look on eBay. I saw a few wheel + tire options. My wife recently did the same thing on our Y, about 45 days into owning it. The wheel damage was pretty minor, but I’ll look to replace the wheel at some point in the near future.

I ended up doing just this. Found a like new not refinished wheel for $550 including shipping on eBay. The refinished ones were only a $100 cheaper. New wheel should be here Thursday.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Jul 20, 2012
Houston, TX
Souse curb rashed front left. I bought some touch up paint from TS Sportline, sanded down with a course sand paper and then a fine paper.

Worked well can only tell if you’re close and inspecting the rim. Depending on how bad it is , it may be worth a try.

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Well the wife murdered one of her 20” induction rims on her less than one month old Y on a curb tonight.

There is also a tear in the sidewall of the tire so it most likely should be replaced as well. She didn’t just rub the rim of the wheel but she actually scraped up two of the spokes pretty bad.

Anyway, I will probably look to replace with a new wheel and tire and consider refinishing the scraped rim and keep the damaged tire as a spare.

Since you can’t just order it online at shop Tesla it looks like you have to go through service to order it. Has anyone done this? Will they ship it? Can mobile service switch it out? Would there be a charge if I had mobile service do it?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get it replaced. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
RIP induction rim. You will be missed. :(

I curbed one of mine in the first couple of weeks I got my car and I’ve been trying to look for a way to fix it without buying a new one. Unfortunately the solutions I’ve come across still end up with the rim looking curbed, but just colored-in. ,

Reactions: Subhuman

Subhuman

Aug 1, 2013
United States
Just touched it up with some flat black touch up paint I found at O’reillys. Actually surprised at how well it covers it up. Hard to see unless you are looking for it, even up close. May end up leaving it on for a while to see if it happens again.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
If you are handy:

If you arent super handy and good with 80% satisfaction, you can sand down the rough part, then touch up with spray paint.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC