Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curbed 20” Induction rims / Replacement question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the wife murdered one of her 20” induction rims on her less than one month old Y on a curb tonight.

There is also a tear in the sidewall of the tire so it most likely should be replaced as well. She didn’t just rub the rim of the wheel but she actually scraped up two of the spokes pretty bad.

Anyway, I will probably look to replace with a new wheel and tire and consider refinishing the scraped rim and keep the damaged tire as a spare.

Since you can’t just order it online at shop Tesla it looks like you have to go through service to order it. Has anyone done this? Will they ship it? Can mobile service switch it out? Would there be a charge if I had mobile service do it?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get it replaced. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rather than a new wheel, depending on how bad the damage is a reputable wheel repair shop should be able to fix it up for around $150. I'd imagine a new 20" Induction wheel will be at least double if not more from Tesla.

Yeah, the problem is where I live there are no local shops. I would have to mail it in somewhere. By the time you add up the cost of shipping and how long the car would be out of service it’s no longer worth it. Additionally I had a bad experience in the past where I had a wheel refinished and it didn’t match at all. Since then, I am leery about having wheels refinished.

Take a look on eBay. I saw a few wheel + tire options. My wife recently did the same thing on our Y, about 45 days into owning it. The wheel damage was pretty minor, but I’ll look to replace the wheel at some point in the near future.

Reactions: Subhuman
Take a look on eBay. I saw a few wheel + tire options. My wife recently did the same thing on our Y, about 45 days into owning it. The wheel damage was pretty minor, but I’ll look to replace the wheel at some point in the near future.

I ended up doing just this. Found a like new not refinished wheel for $550 including shipping on eBay. The refinished ones were only a $100 cheaper. New wheel should be here Thursday.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Souse curb rashed front left. I bought some touch up paint from TS Sportline, sanded down with a course sand paper and then a fine paper.

Worked well can only tell if you’re close and inspecting the rim. Depending on how bad it is , it may be worth a try.

Well the wife murdered one of her 20” induction rims on her less than one month old Y on a curb tonight.

There is also a tear in the sidewall of the tire so it most likely should be replaced as well. She didn’t just rub the rim of the wheel but she actually scraped up two of the spokes pretty bad.

Anyway, I will probably look to replace with a new wheel and tire and consider refinishing the scraped rim and keep the damaged tire as a spare.

Since you can’t just order it online at shop Tesla it looks like you have to go through service to order it. Has anyone done this? Will they ship it? Can mobile service switch it out? Would there be a charge if I had mobile service do it?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get it replaced. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
RIP induction rim. You will be missed. :(

I curbed one of mine in the first couple of weeks I got my car and I’ve been trying to look for a way to fix it without buying a new one. Unfortunately the solutions I’ve come across still end up with the rim looking curbed, but just colored-in. ,

Reactions: Subhuman