TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Curbed 21" wheels again...

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by manster, Aug 30, 2016.

1. manster

manster New Member

It's the second time already and since my wheels are metallic grey have to pay a lot to repaint each wheel...now considering if I should downgrade to the 19" or not...

2. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Mine are as good as new. Exactly how are you curbing them.......parking, cornering etc?
    I'd try to alter my driving, before downgrading.

3. ediot

ediot Member

hong kong has tight curbs everywhere. "downgrading" to 19" rims actually makes quite a bit of sense since you get much less rim scrape. I drive rather carefully, and even with that, my 19" rims are still quite scuffed up. i'm considering to either use those rim guards or plastic dip.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

2 years on 19" in Hong Kong and hardly a scratch.

Agree: curbs here are ridiculous. Everywhere is tight (roads and car parks).

5. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

forget about repainting until the 3yr buyback or when you want to sell - I have the cheap black taobao HKD60 rim "protectors" which don't protect the rim but cover up the scratches on my 21" grey turbine. The black is very inconspicuous does a good job. Scratched my 3 times now in the 3 months I've had the car. Now drive like a grandpa in tight areas and carparks to avoid. Tried to park in Aberdeen and scraped the curb because the road was so ridiculously narrow and this car is so wide...

6. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

try driving in HK...

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I lived there for 3 years.........didn't drive. LOL

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Anecdotally: when Tesla were first offering test drives here with that LHD Model S, they went through three sets of 21" wheels in the first week.

9. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

OUCH.......kinda funny, but kinda not!

10. ediot

ediot Member

that's probably where the training budget went

11. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

Hey guys. Just stumbled onto this thread. For those of you having issues with curbing wheels we partnered with BBS to develop our own set of wheels specifically for the Model S. We knew that the width of a Model S was an issue so we developed our wheels with removable wheel protectors so they can easily be popped off and replaced rather than repairing the actual wheel. Might be a good option for anyone having this issue

We have a distributor in HK. Stamina Performance Tesla 改裝配件

10576975_742103902529151_6438072622487338610_n.jpg E16A1145resized.jpg 13221111_1090766954329509_464745899838088968_n.jpg

12. ediot

ediot Member

holy unsprung weight

13. Frank TSLA

Frank TSLA Member

same here, i scratched my rim the fourth day after i picked up my car.... it was in hk station carpark (the entrance is tight), i've always parked my old car there the last 2 years and never scratch the rim... i have to admit the model s is wide and the side mirrors make it even wider...