Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curbed Rim Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone, I hope you are doing well,

Yesterday, I went downtown Indianapolis and curbed both passenger side front and rear wheels. The front passenger side has the most damage, it is curbed and the paint is gone. The rear passenger wheel has only a little bit of paint removed. I have made an appointment with my local rim repair shop for a quote and to ask if this will turn out factory colors. The rear wheel will most likely be touched up with paint but the front wheel will need to be sanded down, maybe filler, primed, etc. I wanted to ask for reasonable pricing, are the wheels painted or powered coated, what type of paint code (if yes), and any general information I should be aware of when talking to the local shop. I have also attached a few pictures of my stupidity/failure😂

Thank you for any information!

Pictures of the front wheel:
1622382618480.jpeg
1622382629263.jpeg

Picture of the rear wheels:
1622382643397.jpeg

Ouch. That does suck but unfortunately it happens. Rashed my rear rim pretty bad and repair shop wanted $450 to redo it. I ended up cleaning area, prepping and using a $25 dollar can of black plastidip. Colour matched well. Maybe try for the larger rashes area??!

Reactions: Kee_Chain
Thank you everyone, my soul is crushed but I think I am going to take everyones advice in DIY it. I definitely agree this will happen again, the rims sticking out looks great but I think I might need to invest in rim protectors. Yes, I really need a bird's eye or a curb-avoidance software in my life!

I think I might try the rust-oleum matte black, put the paint in a cup, and use a brush. I am going to guess this will be a more permanent solution then a sharpie? Does the sharpie method last?

Reactions: Hexo09
The sharpie got me through a few washes, but yes, the rust-oleum should be more permanent. I only did it a few weeks ago, but that’s the goal. There are a few other options of matte black paint that seem like they’d match too on Amazon. It worked for me and was the cheapest option, but if you’re nitpicky, you might want to do a little bit more research. I know someone here posted his own DIY fix on YouTube, it should be easily searchable using the search bar.

Reactions: Kee_Chain