Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curbside charging station with HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surfing the net yesterday and found this: http://www.rolecserv.com/power-solutions/product/StreetServ. It's
a heavy-duty, hard-wearing street post designed to offer EV electrical connections in a safe environment, with complete protection from the elements. It's got a lockable hinged door that provides access to the electrical connections inside. The electrics for this device are for the UK and Europe and not set up for the US or the Tesla, but the concept inspired some thinking. What if I could get one of these things without the UK electrics then mount the Universal Connector or even the HPWC inside (provided the interior diameter is large enough). So I've emailed the manufacturer about doing this.

Then I thought some more. Having already created an curbside charging station for my Volt and soon-to-arrive-in-April Model S (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8981-New-Tesla-S-and-Chevy-Volt-Outdoor-Curbside-Level-2-Charging-Station), what if I used the same concept with larger diameter PVC pipe that could hold the universal connector or HPWC inside, along with the cable? That way I could lock it all away both when charging and not in use. And what if I made it with a hinged, lockable door, like the StreetServe charger? There is PVC pipe large enough (8" and 10" diameter).

So I've made a decision: if the StreetServ folks won't sell me their device without the electrics inside I'll just make my own out of PVC and have it ready for delivery of my S in April/May. I'll start with one for the Universal Connector with the ultimate goal of building one for the HPWC.

I have the same "problem" :biggrin:. I have a 2012 Volt and I have a reservation for a Model S. Tell me more about your solution if you can.

Thank you
If you look at the thread on my existing curbside set-up that will tell you what I have now. As the current line to the curb is rated for 50 amps it will work fine with the Universal connector and charge the Model S at about 31 miles per hour. But the Volt connector is velcroed to the post (and that's what I'll have to do with the Tesla Universal Connector) and vulnerable to the weather (even though it's supposed to be waterproof), vandalism and other shenanigans.

SolarCity can updrade the line to 100 amps, making it possible to use the HPWC for this set-up. But as the HPWC has to be direct wired it really does need to be out of the elements. I've studied the wiring diagrams and recommended set-up for the HPWC and concluded that the StreetServ kind of set up would be perfect for rigging the HPWC as a curbside charger.