TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Curing Paint versus cleaning off bug splats

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Hhrraath, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Hhrraath

Hhrraath Member

Hello,

I picked up my Model 3 this weekend and immediately went all around the back roads where I live -- loved it! But, needless to say, my lovely 3 now has bug splats all over the front. I read in a different post that it is good to let the paint cure for 30 days before washing. On the other hand, isn't also true that bug splats can hurt the paint? I'd love some advice on whether I should wash or not this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. 355rockit

355rockit Member

The paint should be fine to wash. Don't overdo the scrubbing. You can use Bug Off cleaner which shouldn't damage the paint since it enzymatically removes the bug guts.

• Helpful x 1
  3. JasJ

JasJ Supporting Member

This is what I have used when I travel along i-10 through Louisiana - Bug city at twilight!

If you do it fairly soon after the trip and before the sun really bakes it in, the bugs come of easy with a good quality microfiber cloth and the turtle wax product.

Turtle Wax 50595 Power Foam Bug & Tar Remover - 16 oz.
    by Turtle Wax

Walmart also caries it. Get the foam (aerosol) version. It clings much better than the spray version at Target.

4. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

I always thought that was more for waxing, because it doesn't let the paint breathe or whatever

5. Hhrraath

Hhrraath Member

Thanks for your replies! I tried out the dryer cloth method last night on the bugs and it seems to work well!

6. trm2

trm2 Member

It is just for waxing/sealing/coating, but ONLY for repair work. The finish is baked on during manufacturing and is good to go from the start.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Hhrraath

Hhrraath Member

Thanks!

8. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Most likely your car was built 30 days ago.

• Like x 1