Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curiosity -- Anyone use AP1 on the Jamaicaway?

Has anyone driven the Jamaicaway in Boston using AP1?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yes, with AP2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
We were driving into Boston for a dinner on Friday night, and took the Jamaicaway. I have often wondered how AP would work on it. The curves are tight and the lanes are narrow, headways (distance between cars) are often short. Based upon my 4 years of driving with AP1, I have never tried it on this road, for fear that it would not handle the curves well enough.

If you do not know it, the Jamaicaway is a parkway that winds along Jamaica Pond in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston. It has a residential neighborhood on one side and the pond and surrounding woods on the other. There are several stop lights, cross streets, and crosswalks. When built, it was restricted to "pleasure vehicles only," but I think trucks and buses can use it now. It is relatively narrow, and hilly, and quite curvy, and has had a few spectacular crashes over the years. It is used heavily in commuting hours as well as on off-peak times. I have been driving it all my adult life, and it requires full attention at all times.

So I am curious if anyone else has tried it. Particularly with AP1, but also AP2.

I have not, but I also rarely use AP on 93 or 95 anywhere near the city. I tried AP 2.5 on Sturrow once and learned just how bad it can behave, and haven't thought it was a good idea to try again since.

The system is way too immature to think of trusting on surface streets like these.

Reactions: Lobstahz
We were driving into Boston for a dinner on Friday night, and took the Jamaicaway. I have often wondered how AP would work on it. The curves are tight and the lanes are narrow, headways (distance between cars) are often short. Based upon my 4 years of driving with AP1, I have never tried it on this road, for fear that it would not handle the curves well enough.

If you do not know it, the Jamaicaway is a parkway that winds along Jamaica Pond in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston. It has a residential neighborhood on one side and the pond and surrounding woods on the other. There are several stop lights, cross streets, and crosswalks. When built, it was restricted to "pleasure vehicles only," but I think trucks and buses can use it now. It is relatively narrow, and hilly, and quite curvy, and has had a few spectacular crashes over the years. It is used heavily in commuting hours as well as on off-peak times. I have been driving it all my adult life, and it requires full attention at all times.

So I am curious if anyone else has tried it. Particularly with AP1, but also AP2.

You know you can turn it on and be prepared to take control of the vehicle, right?

You know you can turn it on and be prepared to take control of the vehicle, right?
Oh yes, and have done so many times on other roads. But I have also experienced situations in which AP operated with a lack of smoothness, especially when it operates near its limits. I have seen it fail to stay within the lines on sharp curves. So I have been hesitant to try it on such a curving road, for fear of reacting too slow and getting into trouble (especially with opposing traffic), or over-reacting as a "nervous Nelly." Either one would make my spouse very nervous, so I would not try it with her in the car in any case.
Anyway, just looking to find out if anyone else has experience. Seems to me this would be an "acid text" for the self-steering, but might be too tough for it.