Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious about Battery Fire Risk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just recently read one of these articles about Tesla fires and started freaking out about it, To the point where she’s basically asking me to sell my new Y. I got super pissed and started ranting about all the same arguments a lot of the users here are as well.

But then I came on here to read something hopefully objective about fires and there are a ton of Tesla owners defending their cars and basically shouting down the OP.

It would be a heck of a lot more comforting and convincing if Tesla owners actually acknowledged both the pros and cons of EVs vs ICE’s. There is too much damned bias in politics in the world already. The last thing I need is to hear it in product forums with undying brand loyalty.

Let’s have an honest discussion about fires. Which cars are more or less likely to burn:

1) in a car crash (EVs burn longer but gas burns easier?)
2) spontaneously combust (EVs while charging overnight. Never heard of an ICE spontaneously combusting in someone’s garage overnight)
3) stats.

Etc.

My wife just recently read one of these articles about Tesla fires and started freaking out about it, To the point where she’s basically asking me to sell my new Y. I got super pissed and started ranting about all the same arguments a lot of the users here are as well.

2) spontaneously combust (EVs while charging overnight. Never heard of an ICE spontaneously combusting in someone’s garage overnight)
3) stats.
2) Sure they have. Examples at
As mysterious BMW fires continue, calls for investigation into possible causes grow (from Feb 5, 2019):
"The luxury automaker wasn't the only vehicle producer to take that step. Car manufacturers collectively have issued 62 parked-car-fire-related recalls since 2017. Just last month, for example, Hyundai and Kia recalled 168,000 vehicles for fire risk."

Ford Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Recalls and History - search this multiple times for parked
If you own one of these cars, vans or SUVs, don’t park them in a garage, automaker says
"Two weeks ago, Hyundai and Kia alerted the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about a rare but dangerous defect discovered in 10 Hyundai Elantras that caught fire while parked and off.
In September 2018, Heriberto Vega’s black 2008 Kia Sorrento also mysteriously caught fire while parked inside his garage in Palm Bay."

Five cars rented by Secret Service for Biden vacation catch fire, are destroyed which points to https://www.ford.com/support/how-to.../ford-expedition-recall-battery-junction-box/. Ford, Lincoln Recall 198,000 Expedition and Navigator SUVs for Fire Risk refers to this recall and another one.

3) https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...nd-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf page 2 has some stats. If you go by 181,500 highway vehicle fires in the US in 2018, that works out to about 497 fires per day.

Last edited:
Are you using YouTube as evidence for how often cars catch on fire?

This thread really got me thinking and evaluating my life. I have been watching you tube videos of cats playing pianos. I now realize that my cat not having that talent by now is an anomaly and I traded for a different cat. What other non-agenda'd truths are this tube of you?

But then I came on here to read something hopefully objective about fires and there are a ton of Tesla owners defending their cars and basically shouting down the OP.

It would be a heck of a lot more comforting and convincing if Tesla owners actually acknowledged both the pros and cons of EVs vs ICE’s. There is too much damned bias in politics in the world already. The last thing I need is to hear it in product forums with undying brand loyalty.

Let’s have an honest discussion about fires. Which cars are more or less likely to burn:

3) stats.

Etc.
Dear Lionizer, welcome to your second account and well done on a moderately successful troll - 5 pages is not bad.

The forum is a bit quiet over Christmas so along with your proposed balanced discussion of a totally settled issue, perhaps we could do:
- The Earth. Is it actually round?
- Did NASA fake the moon landings?
- Is smoking actually good for you after all?

There has to be a source of ignition and flammable materials for a fire to start. ICE vehicle fires can start in the fuel system due to a leak, electrical system due to an electrical wiring short or even oil dripping from a bad engine seal onto a hot manifold. Catalytic converters get very hot. If you park on leaves or dry grass you can start a fire. Electrical fires are common in older vehicles as the wire insulation gets frayed over time.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush

3) stats.

Etc.
Since you admit your inability to deal with your wife's concerns without getting 'super pissed', it would seem unlikely that you will be successful in assuring her that the risks of EV ownership outweigh the benefits. You need to consider what is more important to you: having an EV or domestic tranquility. Take action to maximize whichever you select.

2) Sure they have. Examples at
As mysterious BMW fires continue, calls for investigation into possible causes grow (from Feb 5, 2019):
"The luxury automaker wasn't the only vehicle producer to take that step. Car manufacturers collectively have issued 62 parked-car-fire-related recalls since 2017. Just last month, for example, Hyundai and Kia recalled 168,000 vehicles for fire risk."

Ford Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Recalls and History - search this multiple times for parked
If you own one of these cars, vans or SUVs, don’t park them in a garage, automaker says
"Two weeks ago, Hyundai and Kia alerted the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about a rare but dangerous defect discovered in 10 Hyundai Elantras that caught fire while parked and off.
In September 2018, Heriberto Vega’s black 2008 Kia Sorrento also mysteriously caught fire while parked inside his garage in Palm Bay."

Five cars rented by Secret Service for Biden vacation catch fire, are destroyed which points to https://www.ford.com/support/how-to.../ford-expedition-recall-battery-junction-box/. Ford, Lincoln Recall 198,000 Expedition and Navigator SUVs for Fire Risk refers to this recall and another one.

3) https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...nd-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf page 2 has some stats. If you go by 181,500 highway vehicle fires in the US in 2018, that works out to about 497 fires per day.
To add to the anecdotal evidence, I have a friend whose hybrid Hyundai burst into flames in a restaurant parking lot in LA.

Reactions: cwerdna
Not trying to paint a negative picture as I am in the process of buying one now if you look at my post history.

I am genuine worried if I get into a car accident in a tesla vs a ICE vehicle with my family in the car. If the Tesla is more likely to catch on fire during a crash or even randomly.

Also if you go on youtube and you search for any of the ICE brands there are not many videos of them being on fire. On the other hand there are so many Tesla vehicles there are so many videos of Tesla vehicles and fires. Dont give me the same old bullshit because media wants to take advantage or they are more likely to be reported.

Tesla Model S Plaid reportedly catches fire in Pennsylvania

No One is Talking About Electric Car Deaths, So I Have to
I was worried at first but not anymore. I know all the stories like this are mostly from the ICE camps who want to stir the pot. Don't billions of smart phone use the same type o f batteries? We don't hear them catching fire anymore after the Note 7 Fiasco had been fixed.
Youtube uses the same algorythm to recommend the videos. So, if you watch one you're gonna see 100 on your list.
Better off reading it and do your own research.

Do any of you guys have any worries about driving teslas and them catching fire? I am seeing a lot of videos about Teslas catching fire in crashes, which increases fatality of the crash. I come from driving Mercedes vehicles and they are some of the safest vehicles on the road. I mean if that is the case I am worried about purchasing and would rather just continue driving an internal combustion vehicle. Plus I think the fires will become more common as more EVs are purchased.

Not a troll post and have serious worries before purchasing.
Safety is about car design requirements like crumple zones and crash tests done at national labs before a vehicle is allowed to drive.

In theory yes, if an accident is hard enough to crack the battery shielding, you could start a fire, but the force to do that with a tesla is so high that you wonder how a person would even survive the initial collision in any car. Eg : if you get T boned by a train at full speed, there's no walking away from that.

The question should be what is the force required to crack the battery housing in an accident. The Tesla batteries are protected much better than the typical gas tank of ICE cars.

Pretty much ANY way you store 80 kWh of potential energy, be it in the form of gasoline, hydrogen, lithium-battery, or an enormous flywheel - they ALL could result in that energy being released in a rapid, unplanned manner.

We've become totally comfortable carrying 20-odd gallons of potentially flamable or explosive liquid fuels which do produce car-fires on a regular basis. But the batteries scare us despite appearing to have a lower incidence of fire than their gasoline counterparts.

The main concern with battery-fire is it's somewhat harder to put out and requires special training for fire crews. But in terms of risk-to-occupants, you're safer in a Tesla than a Ford.