TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Curious bit on inside front roof rendering

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Andrew, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

I was just looking at the pics of the new Shop Tesla Gear Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades and noticed the rendering of the ceiling piece/coverplate between the regular sun visors. In our car (delivered March 2013), it's just a flat-ish plastic grill in that space.

Are new cars coming with something that looks like this? What is it? Two directional microphones? Poorly-placed coat hooks?

Shop Tesla Gear — Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades.jpeg

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Supposedly the european-spec cars have always had this. Not sure why it's different from the US. Maybe someone can comment if recent US-spec cars have the new design.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The NA design does have two microphones under the grille. Early on, I complained of poor voice recognition and thought I was going to get this new assembly. I didn't. They replaced the microphones behind the grille which did fix my problem.

4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I could be wrong, but I think this is a design change from 2013 cars to 2014 cars

5. pgiralt

Pretty sure all the EU cars have had this - even those shipped in 2013. The question is - is there anyone with a US car that actually has this on their car?

6. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Dammit. Made me walk all the way to the parking lot (at work) to look.

My US build car from a couple months ago does not have that piece. Just the large grill area. Of course, that was nearly 12,000 VINs ago (holy crap!)

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

okay the information I read was probably incorrect then. thanks

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I wonder if that's the ionizers.

9. pgiralt

No. It's just the microphones. The ionizer would be part of the HVAC system somewhere.

10. matbl

matbl Member

I have a recent (built early June this year) EU spec car and mine does not look like this.
    For that particular part it looks exactly like the one here: Model S Photo Gallery | Tesla Motors

11. pgiralt

Maybe this was only something on early EU spec cars then. I'm in a US loaner with VIN 44XXX and it still has the same as in my car - the one that doesn't look like the rendering.

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

To me they look like ultrasonic sensors for the intrusion alarm. Not very subtle though, but nor are they for a mic. It would be unusual to have a mic for the passenger as well.

13. pgiralt

Ahh - that might be it because that option is only available on EU cars, correct?

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think it's to pick up a passenger's voice who may be joining in on a hands-free phone call. (Just a guess on my part). Even the grill-style microphone cover has two actual mics inside.

15. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

Yes they are the ultrasonic transducers for the intrusion alarm.
    I didn't opt for that, and don't have them on my car. (EU spec) I have seen them on other cars though.