Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious bit on inside front roof rendering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
I was just looking at the pics of the new Shop Tesla Gear Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades and noticed the rendering of the ceiling piece/coverplate between the regular sun visors. In our car (delivered March 2013), it's just a flat-ish plastic grill in that space.

Are new cars coming with something that looks like this? What is it? Two directional microphones? Poorly-placed coat hooks?

Shop Tesla Gear — Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades.jpeg

I was just looking at the pics of the new Shop Tesla Gear Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades and noticed the rendering of the ceiling piece/coverplate between the regular sun visors. In our car (delivered March 2013), it's just a flat-ish plastic grill in that space.

Are new cars coming with something that looks like this? What is it? Two directional microphones? Poorly-placed coat hooks?

Supposedly the european-spec cars have always had this. Not sure why it's different from the US. Maybe someone can comment if recent US-spec cars have the new design.

Supposedly the european-spec cars have always had this. Not sure why it's different from the US. Maybe someone can comment if recent US-spec cars have the new design.

The NA design does have two microphones under the grille. Early on, I complained of poor voice recognition and thought I was going to get this new assembly. I didn't. They replaced the microphones behind the grille which did fix my problem.

I could be wrong, but I think this is a design change from 2013 cars to 2014 cars