Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious FSD Behaviour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Supcom

Oct 3, 2021
Texas
Drove about 50 mile round trip going through a few small cities on mostly rural roads today. FSD 10.10.2. Found two interesting characteristics:

First was every time the car entered the city limits on a 55 mph 2 lane road, it would slow down to 25 mph until it saw a speed limit sign. This is really annoying and seems to be a brain dead application of a city's default speed limit.

Second was that one of the roads had several instances of asphalt patches that extended across both lanes, obscuring the center lane markings, which were not repainted. FSD slowed down to 25 mph, or at least started to, for each of these. Apparently FSD thought the road had become a small county road with low speed limit.

I've seen the low speed on county roads issue before on much lower speed roads. Typically, a road will be marked as 30-35 mph, but FSD will slow to about 27 mph. But, this is the first time I've seen it do this on a high speed 2 lane road.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I'm pretty sure FSD pulls the speed limit from map data, unless/until it sees a sign that tells it otherwise. If that's the case, your problem might get fixed by the end of the year when the next map update comes out, IF somebody happens to update that piece of map data :)

As to the second instance - was the road raised on this patch? Because FSD will slow down for large bumps in the road. Perhaps that's what it thought it was seeing, even if that assessment was incorrect.