Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2013 P85+ (and a new X) and the car has developed an unusual (to me) sound. As it's out of warranty, I thought to ask here... At ride height settings above LOW, it has a sound similar to a pebble or nail in your tire... I'm thinking CV joint, because that seems the only thing that changes its angle/attitude with ride height adjustments... Any other thoughts?

Two points in anticipation of responses:
I'd just take it to the shop for diagnosis (and likely will need to) but they're 3+ hours' drive away.
and
I've checked the tire for a nail/pebble.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Bluchip
Mileage on the P85? CV sounds like a reasonable diagnosis but they usually make noise all the time when they go bad.
Seems to me like it's a good excuse to run the car as low as possible for the time being :D

Check for brake hose contacting something (back side of the wheel?). It would move a bit with a change in suspension height. Or the wheel liner or brake dust shield is loose and the half shaft touches it at certain ride heights.

While not impossible, just hard to imagine the CV going from noisy to quiet with a change in ride height.