Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious why all model 3 get new headlights, but model Y LR don’t?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you @dyau. Yeah I read through most of those post but noticed no one has been updating for several months. Given some of these discussion started back last year, I thought I should stir it up again. To see if there’s been anyone out there that’s been fortunate enough to have them installed on their MYLR. I read they are installed on all Model 3, but only in the Performance Model Y. Curious why that is?

Personally I think Tesla is teaching us we need to rewire how we think about updates and new model year launches. Sure...they will always have updates with new model years, but they also seem to roll out many in a continuous fashion. And when the new model year is going to arrive is anyone's guess. Until there is little to no wait, Tesla holds all the cards here and I imagine they have zero motivation to be more forthcoming with information and addressing the rumor mill.

Personally I think Tesla is teaching us we need to rewire how we think about updates and new model year launches. Sure...they will always have updates with new model years, but they also seem to roll out many in a continuous fashion. And when the new model year is going to arrive is anyone's guess. Until there is little to no wait, Tesla holds all the cards here and I imagine they have zero motivation to be more forthcoming with information and addressing the rumor mill.
Tesla has been doing the “continuous” update thing ever since they started. I’m sure it comes down to cost. Maybe they have existing stock they need to exhaust or supplier contracts they need to fulfill before switching. With the current global supply chain issues, it’s anyones guess.

Probably because the stockroom with all the boxes of "old" headlights are next to the Y assembly line and it's more efficient to dole them out to the Ys

...once those boxes are gone though

Ha ha, reminds me of British Leyland in the seventies when they discovered the "workers" had made a secret room behind a wall of boxes where they took long naps. I wonder why that company failed . . .